Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

996TT audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996TT audio upgrade

I posted this in the 996 Turbo forum as well.

My car recently hit 100,000 miles and is running great. Its a 2003 996TT. I am planning to keep this thing until I my kids take my license away from me. This is my daily driver, so I thought it might be time to upgrade the Bose/ Most system to something Double DIN, up to date nav, and decent sound. I geek on audio at home, the car is too loud to really enjoy music. I need Public Radio and traffic, Bluetooth, and to be able to plug an Apple product into it in case I'm road tripping.

I invite your recommendations. I think I would like to budget $1500.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

There are just too many options to list.
All of your major brands (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion etc) have a plethora of choices with options to fit your individual needs.
Everyone has their favorites, usually the ones they actually own. Me included.
I would suggest going out, looking and trying what appeals to you.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:04 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

I like your suggestion, I'm trying to narrow down the field as the selections are somewhat overwhelming.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:37 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Pioneer 8100nex coming in the mail. I will let you know how the install goes and my thoughts on this radio.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:33 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TECNO
I have a Pioneer 8100nex coming in the mail. I will let you know how the install goes and my thoughts on this radio.
Please let me know. I have decided to get the Pioneer 4100NEX. I had the chance to play with the Apple Car Play on a new Ferrari at work, damn it's cool.

Now, the next decision are speakers and an amp. The only requirement now is to stay around $1000 and keep all the factory speaker grills and the Bose sub box which can be gutted if necessary.

Any recommendations?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:59 AM
TECNO
Advanced

I installed the 8100nex a few days ago. The install is a clean look and fits great in the car. I am still getting used to all the options and features as its only been a few days. I installed a backup camera as well as all my other recent cars had this and got so used to it.

Install was simple using the Kit I bought from custominstallparts.com which I was a bit nervous using as it was half the price of others advertised. In this case you dont have to spend a lot to get what you need.

I have a OnePlus phone which has Android os and love the Android Auto feature. I can voice operate almost everything I need.

I will report back in a week or so after I have had enough time to evaluate the radio.

The factory radio must have know it was being replaced. Every time I turned on the car a new radio station was playing and none of the buttons on the radio worked. Only the volume button worked. Fun feature Porsche!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:01 AM
kellymartin612
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the dash and rear speakers with a set of 4" Polk speakers from BestBuy. Good upgrade for $160.You'll have to modify the stock speaker grills a bit to make aftermarket speakers fit but nothing hard at all. I added a self powered Kenwood Sub behind my seats and like it enough but really want to add a Basslink-they work excellent.

Since the hard part of the work for the sub is done then definitely replace the Bazooka with another self powered sub. It will take you maybe 10 minutes to swap them out and anything will sound better.

Swapping the amps might make a difference to justify the expense and hassle but I don't think you can justify it.

I'm one of those people that HATES aftermarket stereos, everytime I buy one I regret it and I've installed/worked on about 20 car stereo systems.

My next plan is to buy a set of component speakers and install the tweeters in the dash next to my new coaxials and install the woofer in the doors to replace the stock ones.

So, buy some 4" speakers and swap them. $200 for four will do a lot for you. Polks are nice and Infinitys too. Swap the sub without a doubt.

Then, decide if you want to replace the amp.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You do realise in 2003 Porsche went to a total different interface which they call MOST. It basically is a fiber optic system. In order to get equipment to work you will have to do some rewiring.
I suggest you search the 996tt forum and see what it took to change out systems.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 AM
thin_concrete
Pro

There's a few threads in the general 996 forum regarding replacing the MOST system as well. It may be worth a shot to check in there. I dislike the Bose system in my '03 C4S but I don't know which direction to go in with the replacement.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a few threads in the general 996 forum regarding replacing the MOST system as well. It may be worth a shot to check in there. I dislike the Bose system in my '03 C4S but I don't know which direction to go in with the replacement.
I drive the same car. The BOSE is OK, but frankly the system in my Rover LR2 (Alpine) has much better sound. Acoustics of the space+engine noise, or just a lousy BOSE system? Don't know.
I know that Kenwood and Alpine have flatscreen aftermarkets that fit the 996 (I don't have the OEM GPS system and don't miss it from what I've seen). I do not, NOT however want a replacement that screams AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT SYSTEM. It's a Porsche, after all: Not my yellow '71 Gremlin.

I welcome any guidance, either for or against a given option. I recognize that the MOST system starting in 2003 makes the options and installation...interesting. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Originally Posted by TECNO
I installed the 8100nex a few days ago. The install is a clean look and fits great in the car. I am still getting used to all the options and features as its only been a few days. I installed a backup camera as well as all my other recent cars had this and got so used to it.

Install was simple using the Kit I bought from custominstallparts.com which I was a bit nervous using as it was half the price of others advertised. In this case you dont have to spend a lot to get what you need.

I have a OnePlus phone which has Android os and love the Android Auto feature. I can voice operate almost everything I need.

I will report back in a week or so after I have had enough time to evaluate the radio.
Any update on how you're liking the Pioneer, TECNO? And I'd love to see a photo of it installed! Considering the same for my 996tt. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 996TT audio upgrade