Top 10 speakers? - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.

Top 10 speakers?

 
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 AM
  #46  
Sentinelist
User
 
Sentinelist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 733
Default

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
You should consider looking into Dali's used on Audiogon. I have the complete Helicon system for my surround system for a fraction of the cost new.
Was recently just reminded of Audiogon and will definitely be checking there first! I'll be going back to a HT system after kids are mature enough, but 2 yrs. old and another on the way now so it'll be awhile. I scored my Concept 2s for only $250/pr! I should have bought the other two pairs still left just because. Using a new 2-ch. Integra receiver I also got along with them. A friend has the whole Concept 5.1 setup and says it's incredible- I'm sure the Helicon iteration is even better!

Going to just try and start building up a first-shot audiophile setup next year around my Athenas and see what happens. It'll be pretty simple. Something like what this guy (on Audiogon) did with his:

Sentinelist is offline  
Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
  #47  
triode
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
triode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,089
Default

Can't think of 10 I currently lust after (I require super high sensitivity, which only the first 4 below choices have). Those that come to mind:

1) the mega multiway aluminum Magico horns (probably violates OP's $300K limit, though)
2) Avantgarde Trio Omega with 2-3 pair Avantgarde BassHorns
3) Avantgarde Duo Primo
4) Avantgarde Duo Omega (mine pictured below)
5) the new top of the line Sonus Faber
6) the new top-end Rockport
7) JM Lab mega Utopia
8) Lotus Granada
Attached Images  
triode is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
  #48  
utkinpol
Super User
 
utkinpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,882
Default

Originally Posted by 993MAN View Post
It would be good to hear what you guys think, but only speakers for real world folk. Not $300K speakers!
Remember we don't get anywhere near the brands you guys get either.
I reckon....old and new in no particutar order.

Proac Responce 38
[email protected] Nautilus
KEF Ref 107
ML Prodigy
ML Sequell any model
Wilson Puppies
[email protected] 801
Mirage OMD28
NZ made Image Revelation 2
Monitor Audio
Proac Studio 140
somehow i started from cheap $300 speakers in my teenage years, then went bigger and bigger to electrostats then to klipsches then went back to small cabinet b&w 805 and settled, took just 15-18 years or so to figure it out.

it mostly depends of what you are after. i care about precision, clarity and accuracy of sound stage. I really liked mid-range tannoy speakers as they had combination of mid-range with tweeter in the same axis with it but it still has slight 'coloration' to the sound, if you go to conservatory to listen to live piano, then get home and put on record you will hear it right away... b&w 805 are most neutral system i have ever heard. they are imho very undervalued but i like them better than 803 or 801. all you need for 805s are good heavy metal stands and they will sing very well.
bigger b&w models i had for testing and returned. imho if you need bass for movies - just get an active sub, music does not need it.

klipsches i had were RF-7 and in the way they were simlar to tannoy, had even more 'warm' colored sound but i did not like them much as they never gave me acceptably good sound at lower power levels and when kids arrived it became an issue. i relly regret i sold my old tannoys, they were about of $5K a set, used, and they do nt make those series anymore, it was closed cabinet design, no invertor, passive bass, 2 way speaker. i really liked it, at the time, in 1995 or 1997 something. crap, it i sad, i wrote '15 years' above and just relaized what year is now. holy crap... it sucks to get older.
utkinpol is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
  #49  
MDeBoard
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Originally Posted by utkinpol View Post
imho if you need bass for movies - just get an active sub, music does not need it.
Listen to Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" or Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" or Mark Knopfler's "Baloney Again" or James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" on a small monitor type speaker and then on a speaker with good bass response. I use Vandersteen 5A's. Your opinion may change about that statement.
MDeBoard is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
  #50  
utkinpol
Super User
 
utkinpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,882
Default

Originally Posted by MDeBoard View Post
Listen to Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" or Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" or Mark Knopfler's "Baloney Again" or James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" on a small monitor type speaker and then on a speaker with good bass response. I use Vandersteen 5A's. Your opinion may change about that statement.
i`m too lazy to try anything new now, to be honest. you can`t chase the best all the time, i like what i got now plus life gives new priorities to take care of.

i have heard vandersteens, 3a, in a salon. great speakers, no doubt. but for tonality and clarity and air I still like 805s better or my ears just got used to them, probably.
utkinpol is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  #51  
vyper340
User
 
vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 507
Default

Piega's for the ribbon tweeters
JL Audio Fathom F113 or Gotham subwoofers
vyper340 is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM
  #52  
Rick 930
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Rick 930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PR
Posts: 547
Default

Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theatre
Pinnacle Speakers-affordable and great speaker sound
Rick 930 is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM
  #53  
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Durham, NC (Go Duke!)
Posts: 1,183
Default

Vandersteen Quatros (wood) were nice, but lacking a bit in the midrange. Ran them with an Audio Research tube integrated.

Now have 2 systems -
in the office - Modwright pre (tube/ss) with modwright amp powering some Harbeth P3esr monitors. Also have some AKG headphones. Have a sub but usually just leave it off.

in the living room, Metronome integrated and CD (with Rega turntable - a cheapie but it works) running Wilson Benesch ARCs. These are my fav speakers of all time.

I like monitors, and if you buy this stuff used you can do OK - basically never lose $$. Bought and sold a lot of stuff on Audiogon (no association with the site, just mentioning)

Mostly CDs, some vinyl. Someday will get organized with a DAC board in the Modwright pre but for now I am fine.
stedge is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
  #54  
Franklin229
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Franklin229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 2,446
Default

Anyone listen to Ushers? They are great sounding speakers, prob one of the best values as well.
I have the 8571 DMD's in my vinyl system and could not be happier.
Franklin229 is offline  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
  #55  
Arominus
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Arominus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,088
Default

Originally Posted by utkinpol View Post
somehow i started from cheap $300 speakers in my teenage years, then went bigger and bigger to electrostats then to klipsches then went back to small cabinet b&w 805 and settled, took just 15-18 years or so to figure it out.

it mostly depends of what you are after. i care about precision, clarity and accuracy of sound stage. I really liked mid-range tannoy speakers as they had combination of mid-range with tweeter in the same axis with it but it still has slight 'coloration' to the sound, if you go to conservatory to listen to live piano, then get home and put on record you will hear it right away... b&w 805 are most neutral system i have ever heard. they are imho very undervalued but i like them better than 803 or 801. all you need for 805s are good heavy metal stands and they will sing very well.
bigger b&w models i had for testing and returned. imho if you need bass for movies - just get an active sub, music does not need it.

klipsches i had were RF-7 and in the way they were simlar to tannoy, had even more 'warm' colored sound but i did not like them much as they never gave me acceptably good sound at lower power levels and when kids arrived it became an issue. i relly regret i sold my old tannoys, they were about of $5K a set, used, and they do nt make those series anymore, it was closed cabinet design, no invertor, passive bass, 2 way speaker. i really liked it, at the time, in 1995 or 1997 something. crap, it i sad, i wrote '15 years' above and just relaized what year is now. holy crap... it sucks to get older.
I've got a set of RF-7's, and they woke up once i hit them with an Emotiva xpa-5 power amp. Was well worth the money to get it.
Arominus is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 AM
  #56  
CDLVancouver
User
 
CDLVancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 454
Default

Not trying to be patriotic but ill only buy paradigms. Best speaker i heard was a two channel set up using the paradigm studio monitor series mk11se....wow! The stage and imaging was phenomenal and projected as if there were a set of rears hooked up.
So i went and bought a less expensive set in the mk1 7se amd they too have a great stage and imaging...not as good as the studio monitors but still very nice. Ive had them for close to 17 years now an theyre still doing duty but now hoolked up to marantz ht system. May upgrade to those studio monitors in a couple uears for the ht room and move the 7se into the family room
CDLVancouver is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
  #57  
EJC951S
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 44
Default

ADS L 1530, good enough for Telarc speaks volumes.
EJC951S is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 PM
  #58  
P0rsch3F113
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
P0rsch3F113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near Georgian Bay, ON Canada
Posts: 1,933
Default

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver View Post
Not trying to be patriotic but ill only buy paradigms. Best speaker i heard was a two channel set up using the paradigm studio monitor series mk11se....wow! The stage and imaging was phenomenal and projected as if there were a set of rears hooked up.
So i went and bought a less expensive set in the mk1 7se amd they too have a great stage and imaging...not as good as the studio monitors but still very nice. Ive had them for close to 17 years now an theyre still doing duty but now hoolked up to marantz ht system. May upgrade to those studio monitors in a couple uears for the ht room and move the 7se into the family room
Paradigm Signature S8
P0rsch3F113 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 10 speakers?


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: