Top 10 speakers? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.

Top 10 speakers?

 
Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 AM
  #1  
993MAN
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
993MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,166
Default Top 10 speakers?

It would be good to hear what you guys think, but only speakers for real world folk. Not $300K speakers!
Remember we don't get anywhere near the brands you guys get either.
I reckon....old and new in no particutar order.

Proac Responce 38
[email protected] Nautilus
KEF Ref 107
ML Prodigy
ML Sequell any model
Wilson Puppies
[email protected] 801
Mirage OMD28
NZ made Image Revelation 2
Monitor Audio
Proac Studio 140
993MAN is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 AM
  #2  
FlatSix911
Super User
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Altos, CA
Posts: 5,267
Default

Celestion ... old school

Last edited by FlatSix911; 05-12-2011 at 03:12 AM.
FlatSix911 is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
  #3  
aussie jimmy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
aussie jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,222
Default

magnepan
apogee scintillas
quad esl
magico mini
martin logan vantage
watt puppies
yamaha ns-10
avant garde duos
sonus faber guaneri homage
atc scm-20

these are in no order
aussie jimmy is offline  
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
  #4  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

Originally Posted by 993MAN View Post
It would be good to hear what you guys think, but only speakers for real world folk. Not $300K speakers!
Remember we don't get anywhere near the brands you guys get either.
I reckon....old and new in no particutar order.

Proac Responce 38
[email protected] Nautilus
KEF Ref 107
ML Prodigy
ML Sequell any model
Wilson Puppies
[email protected] 801
Mirage OMD28
NZ made Image Revelation 2
Monitor Audio
Proac Studio 140
[email protected] Nautilus
Wilson Puppies
[email protected] 801
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
  #5  
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Juan Lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,615
Default

Through the years, my ears and our listening rooms:

AR3a
DQ10
Mirage M1
ML's
Aerial 8b
Revell
Wilson pups
Genesis 1
Juan Lopez is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  #6  
bigmac
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bigmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ann Arbor,MI
Posts: 2,514
Default

Obama
bigmac is offline  
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 PM
  #7  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,061,947
Default

I always liked the sound of the Carver AL-III

Almost snagged a pair for $500 new years ago when they were on clearance.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
  #8  
993MAN
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
993MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,166
Default

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 803D's. If i could afford it I would go for the 802's but here they are silly money. $20K actually RRP. I can get them for cost but it's still a dumb spend these days.
Bigmac....
Are these Obama speakers 2 way or 3 way? Ported front or rear? What colour do they come in from the factory? Do they distort when pushed too hard?
How much?
993MAN is offline  
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  #9  
bigmac
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bigmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ann Arbor,MI
Posts: 2,514
Default

Sony Earphones + Sony CD player
The Obama speaker is self powered.
Nice Change from BUSH
bigmac is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM
  #10  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

Is that Obama speaker self powered by natural gas , makes sense .......
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 PM
  #11  
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
M. Schneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Georgia Mtn's / Colorado Mtn's
Posts: 2,267
Default

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy View Post
magnepan
apogee scintillas
quad esl
magico mini
martin logan vantage
watt puppies
yamaha ns-10
avant garde duos
sonus faber guaneri homage
atc scm-20

these are in no order
^The man knows his audio monitors!

I personally listen to the ATC SCM-20ASL Pro's (active) which are installed with several of the plasma panel TVs. - Man,, the ATC's 20 Pro's image like no other.

And for HiFi its the ATC SCM100ASL Pro active's.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 05-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.
M. Schneider is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
  #12  
gu9cci
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 59
Default

ANTHONY GALLO REFERENCE
gu9cci is offline  
Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM
  #13  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,972
Default

Originally Posted by 993MAN View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on some 803D's. If i could afford it I would go for the 802's but here they are silly money. $20K actually RRP. I can get them for cost but it's still a dumb spend these days.
Bigmac....
Are these Obama speakers 2 way or 3 way? Ported front or rear? What colour do they come in from the factory? Do they distort when pushed too hard?
How much?
I want to comment but will refrain.

As far as the B&W's I would not spend the money on them myself. Far less power hungry speakers for a lot less money out there IMO. Second hand is always cheaper but not sure of how things are in New Zealand. KEF is no longer what they used to be IMO.

I would look into Sonus faber long before spending money on B&W or Kef and the Wilson puppies are way overpriced for what they are.
cobalt is offline  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 PM
  #14  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

Originally Posted by gu9cci View Post
ANTHONY GALLO REFERENCE
Good press, avg speaker ................
A.Wayne is offline  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 AM
  #15  
993MAN
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
993MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,166
Default

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I want to comment but will refrain.

As far as the B&W's I would not spend the money on them myself. Far less power hungry speakers for a lot less money out there IMO. Second hand is always cheaper but not sure of how things are in New Zealand. KEF is no longer what they used to be IMO.

I would look into Sonus faber long before spending money on B&W or Kef and the Wilson puppies are way overpriced for what they are.
I totally agree about the prices of these speakers. The ONLY reason I was considering them is because I can buy at dealer trade price. My Meredian power amp should have enough goodies to do them justice all the same.
Any brand that has shifted it manufacturing to China has gone down hill from my experience. Mission for instance were a really great mid priced speaker but now they sound, look and feel awefull. It's a big fail in general.
993MAN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top 10 speakers?


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: