Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Tube Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For music, compared to 2 channel, multi-channel just doesn't have the right gear to complete in my opinion - nor do they need or want to. Different markets and missions.

My daughter and her friends prefer their ipods plugged into my home theatre over my "serious" 2-channel systems. I think that has a "fun" sound, but that's it.

My problem with home theatre used for serious reproduction of music is its source and processing. But then I love vinyl and my amplification would never have even tone or balance controls - too much crap in the signal path. (And no, I don't buy $1,000/ft cable - not when the raw materials are so cheap to buy on ebay!)

Home theatre is incredible for what it does - home theatre, and I love it for that!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Perez
For music, compared to 2 channel, multi-channel just doesn't have the right gear to complete in my opinion - nor do they need or want to. Different markets and missions.

My daughter and her friends prefer their ipods plugged into my home theatre over my "serious" 2-channel systems. I think that has a "fun" sound, but that's it.

My problem with home theatre used for serious reproduction of music is its source and processing. But then I love vinyl and my amplification would never have even tone or balance controls - too much crap in the signal path. (And no, I don't buy $1,000/ft cable - not when the raw materials are so cheap to buy on ebay!)

Home theatre is incredible for what it does - home theatre, and I love it for that!
I don't want to beat my part in this discussion to death, so I'll leave it at this. I think we all have an appreciation for the fact that stereo and multichannel systems each fulfill a role. I just want to add that I love vinyl too, my home theater pre/pro has phono inputs, and one of my tables is hooked up to it. My 300 w/ch multichannel amp and main speakers are fully up to the challenge of 2 channel reproduction.

I often listen to vinyl in the pre/pro's direct mode, which completely bypasses all DSP functions including tone and balance controls, 2 channel only, which I think answers the two major concerns about processing and signal source. The only real concession is that the front speakers in my home theater are slightly closer to each other relative to my center seating position than they should be for a perfect stereo setup. If I weren't lazy, I could easily remedy that for stereo listening. It's certainly not a limitation in the equipment itself.

My system is not the proverbial "straight wire with gain", but it can be configured to come pretty close. FWIW, people who listen to it definitely seem to think it is capable of serious 2 channel music reproduction.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-10-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I also was firm on that opinion until i got onkyo pr-sc885 with rotel rmb-1077.
this amp replaced 2 channel dedicated 1090 unit.

all i can say - modern technology is amazing and audyssey truly makes miracles.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 AM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad that you are that happy with your phonostage in you H/T amps.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad that you are that happy with your phonostage in you H/T amps.
I detect just a hint of sarcasm in your comment, Dan.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Nokona
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second the comment on Peachtree Nova. I play FLAC files of live shows located on my computer and NAS through the Nova with Focal JM Lab speakers. Sound is outstanding.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokona
I'll second the comment on Peachtree Nova. I play FLAC files of live shows located on my computer and NAS through the Nova with Focal JM Lab speakers. Sound is outstanding.
I also have a Nova in my office with Focal 706V Speakers, quite a nice combo.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:53 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

A Nova , how did you get a Nova into your office ? what Year ? ....
Old 11-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Nokona
Intermediate

It was a 1964, just had to remove the doors to the office.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

to the op: try the ml vantages. they are easier to run at 92db sensitivity.
valves: jadis orchestra reference. or audio research vsi-60.
depends on the music you listen to. this set up is great for classical, ambient, acoustic, jazz, voice.
but not so great for electronic or rock. also, ml's require precise room placement.
for these musics try a classe ca-200 with some atc scm-20 and a rel stentor sub.

Quick Reply: Tube Amp?