Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Tube Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Anyone know of a place that buys this stuff has to be a market for new tubes in boxes someplace.
it's called ebay
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scubadawg
I'm a bit confused, I'm putting together a new audio system at home, and want to get a tube amp, can't afford to get into the Macintosh, or that brand name of amp, looking at the Chinese knockoffs, but they make differnet type of tube 845, KT88 etc.
What tube type is the best, or are they about the same.

I would like to get a couple of tube monoblocks, or am I better off going with integrated to keep it simple.

Any suggestions for a brand of tube to buy or stay away from.

My current amp and preamp is the old APT Holman, turntable is a Mission, casette is Nackimichi.
My next set of speakers will be Martin Logan for this amp setup.

Thanks
You have different types of tubes, like the 845 is a triode and the KT88 is a beam tetrode. You'll find strong opinions all all tube types. They all have been engineered for certain characteristics.

One of my tube amps is a 6550 which is an American tube very similar to the KT88. I like this amp.

You also should consider the circuit, single ended or push pull (I have both - and then choose push pull ) Although, I love my 2A3 single ended Triode amp, too!

And all tube amps are pretty much engineered not to need preamps.

Finally, if ML says it's speakers are 4 ohm, use a 4 ohm output from the amp. If it doesn't have one, you'll have problems. Also, the speaker's impedance curve could be "reactive" and a bad match for your amp.

So.....find a reputable dealer and follow their advice.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Perez
it's called ebay
Too much of a PITA. Was looking for something simpler.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

I love these debates and what not, what tube sounds like real music, fast, dynamic, etc

Theres not a tube amp made that can be as realistic as the very best SS amps such as Accuphase, Spectral, etc
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianR
I love these debates and what not, what tube sounds like real music, fast, dynamic, etc

Theres not a tube amp made that can be as realistic as the very best SS amps such as Accuphase, Spectral, etc
I don't know if there's been much of a "debate" in this thread. The OP said he wanted a tube amp so there were some opinions around that. I have tubes in one system because they fit with the other vintage gear (not saying tubes are exclusively "vintage"), but for my main system/home theater SS was the way to go. As with most things, context is important.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tubes vs SS... Porsche vs Ferrari ..... analog vs Digital ... Beer vs Budweiser...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
.. Beer vs Budweiser...

Now there is something I am sure most of us will agree on.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Beer vs Budweiser...

HAHAHA
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 PM
scubadawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't know if there's been much of a "debate" in this thread. The OP said he wanted a tube amp so there were some opinions around that. I have tubes in one system because they fit with the other vintage gear (not saying tubes are exclusively "vintage"), but for my main system/home theater SS was the way to go. As with most things, context is important.
Hi Mike

What Home theatre reciever are you using?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

2 channel stereo is serious. Home theatre is not
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by scubadawg
Hi Mike

What Home theatre reciever are you using?

Thanks
I'm using an Integra 9.8 preamp/processor that has no on-board amplification. It's hooked up to 2 Adcom power amps for my 7 channel system; a GFA-7805 5 channel amp for the F/C/S speakers and a GFA 555 stereo amp for the rears.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-06-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The heart of good home theatre system is comprised of quality main speakers, control, amplification, and signal sources in an appropriate listening space, just like a good 2 channel system. It has the flexibility to be used in 2 channel stereo or multichannel mode. The 2 channel system, obviously, is stereo only and doesn't have that flexibility.

I'm not one of those people who believes that a $1,200 1 meter interconnect cable will make a dramatic (or even audible) difference in system performance, so maybe I don't qualify as a "serious" audiophile in the eyes of some. But I have been involved with this hobby/passion/disease for over 40 years and have a pretty fair idea about what makes a real difference in getting good sound and what doesn't. I've also learned to stay away from blanket statements like "2 channel is serious...home theater is not". Just my $.02.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:27 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Pretty absurd quote. My 7.1 6800 watt PHC system is pretty stunning
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the perspective of a minimalist stereo (2-channel) enthusiast, home theater systems require the sound signal to be over processed.

I suppose the mono sound enthusiasts consider stereophiles "not serious" also, but many monophiles have died, or are dying out.

Same debate goes for mid-engined Caymans vs rear-engined 911s--mid-engined Caymans/Boxsters/914s are for "sissies", rear-engined 911s are for the hairy-chested man driver.

Serious drivers know the mid-engined layout is a superior drivetrain format (even if you can apply a few of the 911s strengths to road-race driving)--but 911-philes stubbornly cling to Butzi's hip (back then) design.

I suppose when all the 911-philes die out, our future driving enthusiasts will fondly remember the anomoly that was the 911 (ha ha).
Originally Posted by ChristianR
Pretty absurd quote. My 7.1 6800 watt PHC system is pretty stunning
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

^^40+ years and the 911 driver still cherishes every moment behind the wheel of there 911, I know I do

Quick Reply: Tube Amp?