Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Time for some controversy

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow,..what a thread,..an age old discussion, at that.

I'm fortunate to carry the past treks in engineering (audio,..especially tubes and SS), mixing mucho FOH,..monitor mix runs,...recording sessions and mastering sessions...A to Z. A musician, to boot, a producer,...all angles.

I'm not one to EVEN use subjective terms for a technical description (or definition),..although we all do (eh?) I've spent many years of my life studying the spectral content of all offerings and equating this to the "electronics", Been there,..done that,..studied the fast topos of various SS circuits,..who's doing "what"....(CROWN, CREST, THE FAST BOYS)....Both Production sound and home listening. Through complete ESOTERIA....($$$$$$$,.are you kiddin' me).

The listener can be of many makes and models,..I've seen them all,........I prefer the techies, who can understand the (VERY) technical side of the electronics and signal processing(passing)....especially the masterers...that's the difference,.....major surgical EQ and comp for transparency,..HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS BEEN MY GOAL? (geeze).

Equipment discussions are another matter,....and you can be rest assured that dollars get you precision (spectrally) , as long as you know how to drive it.

Fidelity is a far cry from guitar tube amp designing (4-sure),..yet fidelity is just that for reproduction in true stereo imaging,.......geeze,..just my embarkment on surround has opened up another dimension of "reception" and rules....

I like the glass,..always have......nothing compatres (but some has it's "places" in sound reproductions (esp'y live). Will NEVER "do" what SS does,.......technical items have been long observed,..I'm a warmth guy, choosing very selective preamps.

We can delve into power supply design, tubes,...Ss topos,..whatever,......sometimes it really is preference, vs. the measurable quanitities (which are there, BTW)

I know my freqs,......and how they "mesh"......(live together)....rise times, and all....the mix,..how they "live" relative to one another......the composite!

LONG LIVE TUBES!!!!!!!!!!!

Best!

Doyle

PHASE IS WHERE IT'S AT IN MY WORLD....
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWISE
I play my guitar through tubes and listen to my music on SS. I have heard many many many audio configurations, and I think they are just as unique as the people who set them up. If you are an audiophile and you got into my car (which is set up to perfection and sounds like butter), I do believe you would be fiddling with my settings immediately, all the while condemning me for choosing them. Lets face it we are a minority. Most people dont even know how to fine tune there experience. We all love talking about it, but we will never agree.

I own a 300.00 pair of Shure earbuds and a 16gb Ipod nano touch and that is the best stereo system I have ever owned. I find them comfortable and easy to wear for long periods of time. I wear them at the grocery store, working on my car, on the ladder out front taking down the x-mas lights. Sometimes my wife wants to listen too. She has a 9.00 pair of gummies we picked up at the CVS. She too is happy... I have other audio gear, I have a pro studio at my house, but man I love those damn earbuds and that ipod. I would cry if you took them away....
Between the car and the studio you might be losing your hearing , hence the ear buds.

Think of them as Direct injection ........
Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's one for you, all these equipment review critics judge equipment ond the sound, but what is really funny unless you switch quickly back and forth for a comparison sake, the review is worhtless. It's a know medical fact that the brain has no sound quality retention.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Some of the brains around here , Yes ... Mine ... No ...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say that I possess sound quality retention...It's one of my jobs!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Some of the brains around here , Yes ... Mine ... No ...
LOL +1
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
sig_a
Pro

All people hear things differently. Some have better hearing than others. Young hear better than old. Guitar amps are tube driven because it adds technical "distortion" to the instrument. Some people with superior hearing have tin ears for music. I don't believe there are any audiophiles except in their own head. Would Bach be considered an audiophile? How about Verdi? or Mick Jagger? Like cars, some people like music better than others. iPods are cheating people who have a knack for "hearing" recorded music at its best/

Music is about emotion, not sound.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a

Music is about emotion, not sound.
Agreed, but it could be argued that the sound brings out the emotion.

Quick Reply: Time for some controversy