Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Official 997 Porsche PCM Classic Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 06:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Default Official 997 Porsche PCM Classic Upgrade Thread

I've decided to start a thread for all the members who will be doing this upgrade, figuring we can help each other out with any hiccups or snags during our installation. I'll do my best to make a DIY video. Have to make sure the Go Pro is charged up and I can find my roll bar mount to attach it to.

Ok, so my unit just arrived and it's a nice amount to wire up and no instructions. Designed in Germany by Porsche but everything is made in China. That it for what it's worth, it's not a Becker .

I'll start with a few pre install pictures, where I purchased from and the price I paid. Would be nice for anyone who's participating to include this information to help your fellow Rennlister save money and time.

Absolutely no affiliation with any of these vendors.

Porsche part #: 997-642-591-00. Do an internet search for the best price on this part and also input into your favorite Porsche parts suppliers search bar.
Purchased from: Gaudio Porsche Parts
Price paid to my front door was: $1,341.94
Delivery time was one day and I live in So Cal.

The following users liked this post:
myw (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:32 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

So working with a base CDR24 head unit, which means I have no amp and therefore, I'm assuming no wiring harness going to the frunk. First snag. Already looked and see nothing. Hoping that I can run a fiber optic cable and call it a day. Will continue tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:20 AM
bredward
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What's the problem with no wiring harness going to the frunk? I have a 987 with a base CDR24 (no CD changer) and am very interested in the PCCM+.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:17 PM
saladbar425
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I've decided to start a thread for all the members who will be doing this upgrade, figuring we can help each other out with any hiccups or snags during our installation. I'll do my best to make a DIY video. Have to make sure the Go Pro is charged up and I can find my roll bar mount to attach it to.

Ok, so my unit just arrived and it's a nice amount to wire up and no instructions. Designed in Germany by Porsche but everything is made in China. That it for what it's worth, it's not a Becker .

I'll start with a few pre install pictures, where I purchased from and the price I paid. Would be nice for anyone who's participating to include this information to help your fellow Rennlister save money and time.

Absolutely no affiliation with any of these vendors.

Porsche part #: 997-642-591-00. Do an internet search for the best price on this part and also input into your favorite Porsche parts suppliers search bar.
Purchased from: Gaudio Porsche Parts
Price paid to my front door was: $1,341.94
Delivery time was one day and I live in So Cal.

This is awesome! I'm so excited to order mine. Do you know if any SoCal dealership has it in stock. I'm in LA
AP328 (01-14-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 02:17 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bredward
What's the problem with no wiring harness going to the frunk? I have a 987 with a base CDR24 (no CD changer) and am very interested in the PCCM+.
I searched and found a MOST cable in the front.

Keep in mind that there are several different levels of audio for Porsche.

Base CDR24: No amp, only two channels and only 2 speakers per channel.
CDR 24 sound package: comes with an amp and I don't know the speaker set up
CDR with Bose: comes with Amp and more speakers.
PCM and PCM with Bose upgrade.

All of them have MOST system running so you're safe to add amps and other external things, CD changer, etc.....

Originally Posted by saladbar425
This is awesome! I'm so excited to order mine. Do you know if any SoCal dealership has it in stock. I'm in LA
You'll have to do your own research. I think I mentioned that in my original post. RIF!
Old 01-15-2023, 02:23 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Old 01-15-2023, 04:49 AM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice install! Where did you mount the GPS antenna?
Old 01-15-2023, 08:34 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Would it be possible to run a high strength USB cable from the front port under the unit (but over the HVAC controls) and then to the back of the unit and out the side where the 9v port is and connect a CarPlay dongle? In other words just have a half inch cable showing that goes in between the PCCM Plus and the HVAC? Or would it be too tight and prevent the USB cable from working properly?
Old 01-15-2023, 12:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by funcars
Nice install! Where did you mount the GPS antenna?
I mounted my GPS antenna under the windshield cowl also. I placed a piece of VHB tape on the top of the antenna then stuck the antenna under the cowl so it's upright. you will need to make sure it's on the textured part so that when you close the hood, it's not under the metal.

I then slid the battery to the passenger side of the battery tray which gained me access to the rubber plug, which I removed then routed the wire through the plug and into the hole. I took the part number so I can order another plug and keep it with the car for the purists. You can see in the picture my fiberglass wire fish going through the hole that has easy access to the cabin. Be gentle with that membrane which is like super thin sticky carpet. I use the fiberglass stick to poke a hole through it. You can damage it easy if you mess wth it too much as it's already perforated in a 3" circle.

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Would it be possible to run a high strength USB cable from the front port under the unit (but over the HVAC controls) and then to the back of the unit and out the side where the 9v port is and connect a CarPlay dongle? In other words just have a half inch cable showing that goes in between the PCCM Plus and the HVAC? Or would it be too tight and prevent the USB cable from working properly?
Are you trying to go wireless CarPlay? You won't be able to route the lightning or usb cable between the head unit and HVAC. It's tight as can be. You could pull off the face of the unit, very easy, and fabricate the cable going out the back of the unit. Maybe another possibility if somehow using the MOST system to get your signal to the dongle.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:23 PM
funcars
Instructor

Thanks for the details! I'm torn with putting it in the original location like you (and routing through the firewall) or just putting it next to/above the center vents.

One more question - if this was part of your install: any pictures of installing the bypass on the FM amp deep behind the PCM?

thanks!
Old 01-17-2023, 12:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the details! I'm torn with putting it in the original location like you (and routing through the firewall) or just putting it next to/above the center vents.

One more question - if this was part of your install: any pictures of installing the bypass on the FM amp deep behind the PCM?

thanks!
At first I was a like, oh it's going to a pain to mount the GPS in the OEM location but once I got started, I realized it was incredibly easy. One step at a time for me... I stuck the antenna box then began routing the wire. Then I when I got to the firewall hole I realized that I would have to move the battery which is super easy and fast. You'll have that antenna routed in minutes. Once through the hole it just fallsl right behind the gas pedal. It's just too easy not to do it.

On the FM amp, I don't think we have those in our cars in the States. That's a Europe thing if I'm not mistaken. If not, then I missed it and did not do it. I'll check station reception later this afternoon but on initial install, it was good on the one station it was on.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 01-17-2023 at 12:09 PM.
funcars (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 05:33 PM
funcars
Instructor

Now leaning toward under-cowl mount - thanks for the scope creep . I think I mis-labeled the FM amp; I should have said antenna controller. Location is behind the pcm on the floor and not in the A pillars. This controller might be a BOSE thing too, I've followed other people who needed to do this with BOSE and in the US...
Old 01-17-2023, 09:29 PM
saladbar425
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I searched and found a MOST cable in the front.

Keep in mind that there are several different levels of audio for Porsche.

Base CDR24: No amp, only two channels and only 2 speakers per channel.
CDR 24 sound package: comes with an amp and I don't know the speaker set up
CDR with Bose: comes with Amp and more speakers.
PCM and PCM with Bose upgrade.

All of them have MOST system running so you're safe to add amps and other external things, CD changer, etc.....

You'll have to do your own research. I think I mentioned that in my original post. RIF!
I called South Bay and it was ~$1700!

I also called Gaudin and they were selling it for $1450.

I think you got a steal by being early. I guess they raised the price.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Now leaning toward under-cowl mount - thanks for the scope creep . I think I mis-labeled the FM amp; I should have said antenna controller. Location is behind the pcm on the floor and not in the A pillars. This controller might be a BOSE thing too, I've followed other people who needed to do this with BOSE and in the US...
Thanks for the heads up. I'm installing a Mobridge amp in a week or so and will take a second look for it. My stations don't all come in clear so maybe this is my issue.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saladbar425
I called South Bay and it was ~$1700!

I also called Gaudin and they were selling it for $1450.

I think you got a steal by being early. I guess they raised the price.
I also have ordered all my parts from them for the last 10 years +. They must punch my name in their computer and see the history.

saladbar425 (02-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Official 997 Porsche PCM Classic Upgrade Thread