Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Panamera PCM Replacement Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 AM
fatdaddymojo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera PCM Replacement Stereo Upgrade

Just purchased a used 2011 Panamera VIN:WP0AA2A76BL013569 yesterday. I love the car, but I hate the PCM usability. I have the Bose stereo and I am quite happy with the sound but I am facing several issues that I don't think I can live with.

1. This car was supposed to be XM Radio ready, but no SAT appears, as an option, on the PCM (AM-FM but no SAT). The steering wheel was replaced a couple of years ago and the person I brought from didn't use XM Radio and doesn't know if it cam delivered with that option (XM Radio Tuner equipped). I have looked on-line and seen that it is possible that the PCM code (I believe 626) was inadvertently dropped at some point in the past, in which case I just wouldn't see SAT option. I am having trouble finding out if this car was ever equipped with XM or not. VINAnalytics just says Bose, but no details for XM. Anybody know a way to find out without having to go to the dealer, who is miles and miles away?

2. I replaced the double din head unit in a 2007 Boxster that I owned several years ago and that worked out fantastic!! I have been looking around and I am not seeing any options to do the same with this car. I see that SunCoast has an options for other Porsches, but nothing for the 970 Panamera. There would need to be special considerations because I wouldn't want to replace the Bose amp and sub that are in the car, I just need a modern user interface

Anybody have any suggestions. Great car, but Bluetooth and phone doesn't consistently connect, the speaker settings (balance, fader, surround setting) keep going away, no XM, etc.

HELP!!!
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 AM
damonsacks
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fatdaddymojo
Just purchased a used 2011 Panamera VIN:WP0AA2A76BL013569 yesterday. I love the car, but I hate the PCM usability. I have the Bose stereo and I am quite happy with the sound but I am facing several issues that I don't think I can live with.

1. This car was supposed to be XM Radio ready, but no SAT appears, as an option, on the PCM (AM-FM but no SAT). The steering wheel was replaced a couple of years ago and the person I brought from didn't use XM Radio and doesn't know if it cam delivered with that option (XM Radio Tuner equipped). I have looked on-line and seen that it is possible that the PCM code (I believe 626) was inadvertently dropped at some point in the past, in which case I just wouldn't see SAT option. I am having trouble finding out if this car was ever equipped with XM or not. VINAnalytics just says Bose, but no details for XM. Anybody know a way to find out without having to go to the dealer, who is miles and miles away?

2. I replaced the double din head unit in a 2007 Boxster that I owned several years ago and that worked out fantastic!! I have been looking around and I am not seeing any options to do the same with this car. I see that SunCoast has an options for other Porsches, but nothing for the 970 Panamera. There would need to be special considerations because I wouldn't want to replace the Bose amp and sub that are in the car, I just need a modern user interface

Anybody have any suggestions. Great car, but Bluetooth and phone doesn't consistently connect, the speaker settings (balance, fader, surround setting) keep going away, no XM, etc.

HELP!!!
I just found this video.
Were you able to find anything like this?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Lodo1000
4th Gear

i am in the same place as you with a 2016 Panamera S e-hybrid. Seems there are a few options now;

CarPlay/Android: you can spend ~$700 with NM automotive and they seem to have a really good reputation; there are also cheaper Chinese alternatives where you basically open up the PCM and add an additional board to the radio which brings CarPlay functionality. I'm sure the NM option is more robust. There is also an option to pull the PCM unit and send to NavTV(?) and they will do the CarPlay upgrade and send unit back (have also heard positive reviews of their work).

You can also replace the head unit with a 3rd party Pioneer/Kenwood... kind of thing and use the appropriate dash-kit/harness. You really need then to replace the current Bose amp at the same time. I received a quote for this and a small sub-woofer for about $2800. I have no idea whether that is a reasonable price or not. Seems people have had different experiences going this route - some with better sound, some not so happy but at least you get a modern head unit and if needed in the future, easy enough to upgrade that.

This is what i have learned so far - and not saying it's all dead on or that there might not be additional options.

I'm kind of stuck on what to do. I am more frustrated with the PCM functionality and interface than with the sound, though that could be a lot better too. Is it worth the time and cost just to get CarPlay on the PCM screen (and lose some dash gauge functionality)? That doesn't seem quite worth it and a new head unit would be nice....
Old 11-24-2019, 07:56 PM
amady
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you have any luck with this upgrade? I'm looking to do something similar to my 2012 Panamera. Trying to find the bezel/mounting kit for this. Appreciate any insight you can offer.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Lodo1000
4th Gear

Not yet in my case.

There are multiple solutions and they work. Just a question of whether to go with the slightly less involved and less expensive CarPlay/Android solution or the full head unit replacement. I personally am leaning toward a new head unit and amp which will provide flexibility down the road if I want to change to yet a newer head unit but the investment is not trivial, so I am debating....

Originally Posted by amady
Did you have any luck with this upgrade? I'm looking to do something similar to my 2012 Panamera. Trying to find the bezel/mounting kit for this. Appreciate any insight you can offer.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:51 PM
amady
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lodo1000
Not yet in my case.

There are multiple solutions and they work. Just a question of whether to go with the slightly less involved and less expensive CarPlay/Android solution or the full head unit replacement. I personally am leaning toward a new head unit and amp which will provide flexibility down the road if I want to change to yet a newer head unit but the investment is not trivial, so I am debating....
What's the nicest full head unit replacement entail? Do you know where I could source the bezel in the US? I'm wondering if there's anyway I could still utilize the display dial on the dash (where the OEM navigation features things)?

Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Lodo1000
4th Gear

The installer I am working with, who was one of the few I have talked to that seemed to get the Porsche PCM upgrade path, said that he would provide a customer bezel and had done it before. A double-din 3rd party head unit typically leaves a gap at the bottom. He is recommending a Kenwood (don’t remember the model). I don’t think anything remains after removing the PCM unit - no dials etc... all of that gets replaced functionality-wise via touch on the new head unit.

Originally Posted by amady
What's the nicest full head unit replacement entail? Do you know where I could source the bezel in the US? I'm wondering if there's anyway I could still utilize the display dial on the dash (where the OEM navigation features things)?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 PM
amady
6th Gear

Sweet. Could you send me the contact for your installer? Perhaps he can supply me the bezel or some advise as to what to look out for as I do this project. Appreciate the help!
The following 2 users liked this post by amady:
Lodo1000 (11-25-2019), Pany970 (01-14-2022)
Old 06-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Paul Rocha
7th Gear

Default Xm restart issue

Mine is now working!!! They cancelled my signal and it still didn’t work. I Pulled fuse 3 and let it sit a few minutes. It restarted I did the reset and now it works!!! This was so frustrating but thank you all for the assistance and patience!!
Old 06-04-2020, 10:08 PM
amady
6th Gear

Could you send me the contact for your installer? Perhaps he can supply me the bezel or some advise as to what to look out for as I do this project. Appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Panamera PCM Replacement Stereo Upgrade