Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering a 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What about GMG makes them the better choice? They are pretty much double the price of the Eibach springs at the moment.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd recommend Gmg lowering springs on B8s.

Last edited by Turboslut; 07-27-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: pricing
Old 07-27-2017, 07:40 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cstyles
I'll respectfully disagree with you here - for a car mostly road driven, a conservative drop such as Eibach, GMG or Techart paired with the TPC DSC controller on stock PASM dampers is absolutely fantastic on road and track - from my own experience and many other who have run the same setup. Some experienced track rats even prefer stock PASM + TPC DSC controller over coil overs unless you're spending $10k+ on a full track prep suspension setup.
I agree btw .... if its strictly a road car and you want PASM then GMG and TPC.... Thats what I had on mine before I switched over ....

I just wanted to catch my buddy in his GT4 at Sebring and needed to keep up with him on the turns... :-)

The GMG/TPC was a great set up for sure... No argument from me
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
For me it was not the cost that I found prohibitive with the coilovers, but limiting the use of the car. Being from Canada, if you want to drive your car year round you are pretty well stuck with lowering springs. the moisture, salt, and gravel wreak havoc on the adjusting sleeves. You can install them, but after a winter they may as well be springs because you have lost all adjustment. I have tried a bunch of things such as anti seize, protective sleeves etc. But up here the elements always eventually get to them
Originally Posted by Turboslut
What about GMG makes them the better choice? They are pretty much double the price of the Eibach springs at the moment.
I did quite a bit of research before buying my Eibachs. Eibach makes the springs for GMG. There is no secret sauce. Same springs an like you said twice the price. I've been on my Eibach for 100 miles now and I must say they have improved the conform of the drive. The. Horizontal bobbing has settled down.
The following users liked this post:
Projekt996 (05-16-2023)
Old 07-28-2017, 11:50 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, gmg claims they are their own proprietary spring rates. I suspect they are exactly the same as Eilbach.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

And they've got special blue paint.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:12 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jako
I did quite a bit of research before buying my Eibachs. Eibach makes the springs for GMG. There is no secret sauce. Same springs an like you said twice the price. I've been on my Eibach for 100 miles now and I must say they have improved the conform of the drive. The. Horizontal bobbing has settled down.
Same here
Old 08-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Lester53
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a little insight on a lowered 997. I'm a newbie looking to purchase my first 911. Obviously I don't have any experience to compare to and would appreciate any thoughts/insight.

I'm looking at a 997TT that is listed as being dropped 1" with GMG springs. It looks fantastic, but I'm already a little worried about ride height for a standard 911 (speed bumps at work etc). I don't have any feel for how much of a concern/problem that drop is or what that 1" really translates into for day-to-day. This will be a road vehicle, not a track car.

Also, it has 20" wheels on it. Does that help or compound the problem?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:51 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lester53
I'm looking for a little insight on a lowered 997. I'm a newbie looking to purchase my first 911. Obviously I don't have any experience to compare to and would appreciate any thoughts/insight.

I'm looking at a 997TT that is listed as being dropped 1" with GMG springs. It looks fantastic, but I'm already a little worried about ride height for a standard 911 (speed bumps at work etc). I don't have any feel for how much of a concern/problem that drop is or what that 1" really translates into for day-to-day. This will be a road vehicle, not a track car.

You should be fine for ordinary driving. It's probably down 20mm, not a full 1". Regardless, mine is down 20mm and I've not had any issues with speed bumps, ramps, etc., though I'm admittedly careful. My TT is still higher than the Spyder, and I've not had issues with the latter, either.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Hvdv85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Eibach prokit springs offer near equal OEM ride quality. I had these in the past and they are great, just make sure you'll get the Prokit, the other Eibach springs are way too stiff imo.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lester53
Wheels size doesn't change ride height as the overall diameter of the wheel remains the same.

Quick Reply: lowering a 997 turbo