Sponsored by:

$10 / mile to opperate this winter

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $10 / mile to opperate this winter

Chalk a lot of it up to frequent preventative schedules and keeping a healthy amount of time behind the wheel but after no repairs for the first 9 years / 40k miles in the past 4-6 weeks
1) failing water pump, had that replaced and while the engine as out had the coolant lines upgraded and pinned.
2) was driving home from the airport, cruise control 70 mph and check engine light went off. p0021 - left cam shaft angle deviation. Mechanic just confirmed the 2nd was spun slightly, its likely the other would soon and i should get a head of it by having them pulled and pinned. Thankfully no harm done to either cam since i shut down right away but our friends in Stuttgart and Washington decided this month i shouldnt be treating myself to a nice birthday present. All in all, brakes, fluids, tires, and plugs and timing belt - repairs only comes out to $1100 a year for 9 years. 11k of repairs in two months hurts but can imagine what they has costs if i had decided to with on eof my oher options. Fingers crossed to 9 more headache free ryears ahead
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

That sucks! I think the camshaft CEL is the one every .1TT owner dreads. Were those 40k miles just regular driving, or did you track it a lot? I assume the car only has 40k on it total? Basically just curious if you have any insight since it seems like the camshaft can strike at any time to any car.

At least "$1100 a year isn't so bad" is probably the best mindset to have.

Last edited by Skwerl; 04-20-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

what yr is ur car?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear about the issues, the cam sleeve spin in particular is a pisser. Happened to me as well. Good news is your ride is all tip-top and ready for another 10 years!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Originally Posted by A418t81
Good news is your ride is all tip-top and ready for another 10 years!
Yeah, the coolant pipes and camshaft are pretty much the main two showstoppers with the .1TT, so having them both done should give a lot of peace of mind.

Sometimes I toy with the idea of having both fixes done preemptively just so I don't have "will today be my turn?" in the back of my head each time I take it out.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have to pull the motor for any reason, it is the perfect time to do the coolant pipes and intake fittings. That said, I don't know that I would preemptively do the cams. It is fairly major surgery.

Last edited by A418t81; 04-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Yeah, I'm not too serious about the camshaft part, but definitely if my engine gets pulled at some point I'll address the pipes.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 PM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008, Previous owner drove it about 1200 miles a year the last few years he had it. Owned a Porsche dealer so had a lot of cars - Only person i know with such little mileage but replaced plugs and every other recommended service despite mileage. Saw he did the 2 year service with only 1400 miles difference between. I guess when you get the labor at cost why not.
Car is a daily driver but i work from home or fly most weeks. It will get 3 30 minute drives a week and half the year ill take it out for a harder run on a nice day. I did one DE track day through PCA but since it was my first event i was in a class with honda accords and a 993s was the closest from a capability standpoint so the track day was less aggressive that a hour drive on a country road. Maybe was able to see around 130 1 time but after 3 laps in 90 degree weather the engine fan would hardly need to turn on.
When i bought it i had an engine inspection done and the tech rated it 98/100 and Kevin from UMW said my data looked ideal before we applied to tune a little over a year ago. Other than that just 40,000 mile car, almost over maintained and light triggered about 40 minutes into a drive on the highway where i had been driving 70 for at least 20 minutes straight. Seems to be one of these freak things that happens to a lot of 997.1 owners, is one of 2-3 things that happen to go wrong and glad it happened on a good work month where the day i got an 8k estimate to repair my monthly bonus hit which covered the repair and the new quartz counter tops my wife had decided we needed a week earlier.
Is what it is and just looking forward to getting it back (hopefully Thursday) - kicking myself though for a self inflicted financially painful month. returned from a week vacation abroad with my wife, house upgrade, purchased a new watch in response to my wifes spending then 8k repair bill for the car. Was not a fun amex bill but should give some skymiles and just putting a spin on it that i should consider myself lucky to act a bit reckless (or much morre than i usually act) and could cover it without wrecking account balances for the rest of the year.
Lesson learned - when the engine is out just do ahead and address anything that is even slightly on its way out. Lets hope for a quiet summer
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!

I stopped doing the $/mile calculation years ago. When you start looking at data and using logic to try to justify continued Porsche ownership, you'll quickly find yourself on the wrong end of the argument! It reminds me of my wife's argument when I go pheasant hunting. By the time you consider the trip, my new shotgun, etc., the pheasants we enjoy for dinner are about $800 per pound. Data isn't your friend in that kind of argument!

Quick Reply: $10 / mile to opperate this winter