Sponsored by:

exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default exhaust Systems

My car is a 997.1 turbo, 32k miles, currently fitted with the OEM exhaust. I've researched exhaust systems on this forum and 95% of the rhetoric is about the sound of the systems. I agree that the stock exhaust leaves something to be desired; but, my issue with the exhaust is "drone". The car drones on a cold start, and then I get more drone in the 1500-2000 range. Hard for me to tolerate this. It's kind of like having the base turned to maximum on your stereo system.

So, with drone suppression as my first criteria and sound as my second criteria, what is the current state of art on exhaust systems used on our cars these days? With the costs exceeding $3k, I can't afford to try out multiple exhausts.

I don't need loud. I just need a sound that does not sound like a vacuum cleaner!

What are you guys buying these days? BTW, I want to go with a catted exhaust.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

You're saying you get drone with the OEM exhasut?

You sure it's OEM/stock?

First I've ever heard of with regard to the stock exhaust.. On mine, the stock exhaust was quiet in the entire rev range..

If you are sensitive to drone with the OEM, Im not sure any aftermarket exhasut will fix it..
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Interesting. I'll have to put the car up into the air to take a close look at the exhaust. It's awful quiet to be an after market unit. But, the drone is definitely there. Could I have an internal failure of the system that would change things?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Regardless, what is the best after market system out there to minimize drone? I'd like improved sound, but not loudness.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

go Europipe and you won't be sorry.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

I agree for what OP is looking for Europipe EP1 perfect

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, EP1 has no drone and is very high quality (and sound is great, not too obnoxious). High quality cats.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:30 AM
C's Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

EP1, you'll thank all of us later.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Zero drone w/ OEM. Even w/ sport mode engaged.

Although, when I pull into my small one car garage w/ sport engaged the reverb from the walls is not pleasant. I wouldn't call that drone.

I ordered a cargraphic catted exhaust.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

My recommendation is to contact John, the owner of Speedtech Exhausts in NH. They make a few different options for the 997.1TT including a 2.5" version which is supposed to have no drone and not be quite as loud as the 3" version. They use german HJS cats and hand-make all exhausts to order in NH - not off shore. Very fairly priced too, compared to many other options that have the p-car tax built in to their price.

I personally purchased their 3" catted x-pipe for my 997.1TT. I absolutely LOVE IT, coming from the FVD exhaust I had on the car previously that I wasn't fond of.

With the 3" catted x-pipe (no muffler) there is some drone for sure when cruising - it isn't bad at all, but it's there. Considering my TT is not my daily, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I imagine that their 2.5" version with muffler would eliminate any drone. You should reach out to John and see what he recommends - he's a sponsor here on RL.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock system does drone ever so slightly. I'd look into one of the modern X pipe systems, they don't drone. I had the kline, I think that would be pretty good in a cab. Despite how nice the ep is, it might be too loud in a cab.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
My recommendation is to contact John, the owner of Speedtech Exhausts in NH. They make a few different options for the 997.1TT including a 2.5" version which is supposed to have no drone and not be quite as loud as the 3" version. They use german HJS cats and hand-make all exhausts to order in NH - not off shore. Very fairly priced too, compared to many other options that have the p-car tax built in to their price.

I personally purchased their 3" catted x-pipe for my 997.1TT. I absolutely LOVE IT, coming from the FVD exhaust I had on the car previously that I wasn't fond of.

With the 3" catted x-pipe (no muffler) there is some drone for sure when cruising - it isn't bad at all, but it's there. Considering my TT is not my daily, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I imagine that their 2.5" version with muffler would eliminate any drone. You should reach out to John and see what he recommends - he's a sponsor here on RL.
I'd need to check the PO's records to see the exact specs, since they're so modular, but my car came with a Speedtech 2.5" with muffler and while it sounds amazing when you're on it, there is a bit of a drone right between 2500-2800 RPM. I've taken to highway cruising in 5th (or 4th) to avoid it. It seems like "drone" is pretty subjective, though - some exhausts will have a drone that drives one person bonkers while others say they don't even notice it. I'd put myself in the more sensitive/picky category.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

My stock exhaust did have slight drone. If the OP is comparing the drone/sound he doesn't like to loud base the EP might not be for him. I love my EP and would never change it but I would describe it more of a low tone/base type of exhaust as opposed to the high pitched of other systems.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Like CStyles, I have Speedtech 3" Xpipe race version (no cats) and love it. I may buy cats to tone down the cold start to keep my neighbors from killing me, but once the car is actually warmed up, for a catless exhaust system, it isn't as loud as you'd expect catless exhausts to be like. Here is a video of a warm start up and minor 2-3k revs

Quick Reply: exhaust Systems