997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust Systems

Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. It's comforting to hear some other owners indicate that they experience drone with their OEM exhausts. I had a Fister Stage 2 on my 993. A little to loud for my wife, but I loved it. And, there was zero drone.

After some of the questioning about my claim of drone in an OEM exhaust, I went out to my car this morning to do some investigation. I experience drone on a cold start. The drone is at about 1000 rpm, so as you back the car out of the garage, you get the droning. Less on a hot engine, but still there.

I'll contact the vendor up in New Hampshire to see what he has.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yours sounds like it's abnormal. I'd go to a dealer or somebody with a stock cab and see if you experience the same drone. Also, be sure all your nuts on the turbo and sensors are tight, anything loose will drone like a ******. I've seen a car demodded to sell and the guy didn't tighten the exhaust completely when he put the stock one back and it was loud as hell.
Typical stock drone is at about 2500 rpm.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yours sounds like it's abnormal. I'd go to a dealer or somebody with a stock cab and see if you experience the same drone. Also, be sure all your nuts on the turbo and sensors are tight, anything loose will drone like a ******. I've seen a car demodded to sell and the guy didn't tighten the exhaust completely when he put the stock one back and it was loud as hell.
Typical stock drone is at about 2500 rpm.
Thanks Chris,

Next time I put the car up in the air in my garage, I'll go over the nuts and bolts as best can be reached. My car was a 2 owner car. First owner was a doctor. Second owner bought the car as a CPO. And, to the best of my knowledge so far, the car appears to be 100% stock. With cosmoline still all over the car, it is apparent that the engine has never been out of the car.

But, there could be a loose piece on the car. I'll spend a couple of hours looking.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
My recommendation is to contact John, the owner of Speedtech Exhausts in NH. They make a few different options for the 997.1TT including a 2.5" version which is supposed to have no drone and not be quite as loud as the 3" version. They use german HJS cats and hand-make all exhausts to order in NH - not off shore. Very fairly priced too, compared to many other options that have the p-car tax built in to their price.

I personally purchased their 3" catted x-pipe for my 997.1TT. I absolutely LOVE IT, coming from the FVD exhaust I had on the car previously that I wasn't fond of.

With the 3" catted x-pipe (no muffler) there is some drone for sure when cruising - it isn't bad at all, but it's there. Considering my TT is not my daily, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I imagine that their 2.5" version with muffler would eliminate any drone. You should reach out to John and see what he recommends - he's a sponsor here on RL.
Thanks, Chris...That's correct, we have several 997.1TT exhaust models with a few different tip options to choose from - pipe size, muffler option and tip style all affect sound level. As you pointed out, we can tailor our system to fit most requirements and all systems are fully modular making changes in sound level easy and inexpensive. The various models are available catted or catless, catless being considerably louder. We also allow a one time sound level swap at no charge (within 30 days), should you wish to change something after hearing your system.

Here are some typical options pictured from quietest to loudest:

2.5 quiet X-Pipe w/ in-line mufflers, 2.5"

2.5 Sport X-Pipe, 2.5"

3.0 Loud Competition X-Pipe, 3"
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

I will add that I agree with TT Surgeon - something does not seem right with your description of drone at 1,500-2000 RPM's. You may want to compare your car to another OEM car to see if you still feel the same in another car.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I figured it out and put a layer of dyna mat extreme and another of the dyna mat foam as recommended on their site. Helped a little.

edit: think I posted in the wrong thread, oh well still good info

Last edited by Third-Reef; 06-13-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd offer up my BBI exhaust which is going up for sale June/July, but it might be too loud for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust Systems