Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight hesitation during hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Thanks for the logs Kevin. Where did these come from? Never seen that much timing retard before..
Is this from your logger? Those load values look different.. did you change them?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

That's the Ultimate Motorwerks logger in action. The adjusted the load values this year.

This log shows why diagnostics and custom tuning is worth it. The car needed plugs and fuel filter changed.

Folks anything over -15 degrees of knock retard will lead to Engine Damage!!

Can you imagine the damage to an engine "IF" one just applied a TUNE without looking at how this engines "health" was/is...
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 AM
epacman17
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect, thanks for the logs! Can I buy this Ultimate Motorwerks Logger somewhere?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Call Kevin at UMW to get a datalogger.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:33 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Had similar issues with my 08 and turned out to be the boot from plenum to the throttle body. Lower part of the boot was almost completely off. Have a look with flash light and mirror.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM
epacman17
Advanced

I will have a look at that. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 PM
epacman17
Advanced

OK, time for an update. Long story short: I thought the 295s in the rear might cause the problem ( stock is 305), ie. smaller diameter tires, confused AWD system etc. By mistake I managed to pop a fuse for the AWD system. The result was a message in the dash, "PTC Fault". I drove the car like this for a bit, but the hesitation was still there, and the car felt exactly the same. I didn't really try it in slippery conditions.

After this I ordered a Durametric cable, which gave me some more information. The AWD unit was not responding at all. I fixed the blown fuse and erased the fault code. No more error message, and AWD unit responding again.

I also took a log of the bosst pressure using the cable, and I found out that the boost pressure is a bit high. I'm seeing 1.2 bar above ambient in normal mode, not Sport Chrono (or whatever it's called). The dash gauge only says 1.0, so I suspect I have some kind of tune. The ignition timing signal from Durametric seems to be showing slightly lower values than the Torque app, but this could also be due to warmer weather(?).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I might see if I can get the car reflashed to stock at this point, but I would like to be reasonably sure it's going to fix the problem and I guess that is the hard part.

I didn't do a full 3:d gear pull when logging, becuase the problem mostly shows up around 4000-5500.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:12 PM
epacman17
Advanced

Ignition retardation signals from Durametric did not make much sense to me, and not even to the Durametric support guy. Pretty high numbers, don't you think...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

I would go back to the basics..

Pressure test you intake for leaks..

Measure your fuel pressure at the rail.

Remove your plugs and inspect the gap. Inspect coil packs for cracks.

Interesting, with the 993TT, folks would get the plugs changed, but only to find out years later that only 4 of 6 were changed. This is sort of quick plug change is repeating with the 997TT.

Put some race gas in (100 octane plus) and see if your car runs better.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
epacman17
Advanced

Thanks Kevin, good points. Before I spend any more time on it I'm going to talk to the dealership that sold the car and see what they can do. The next steps are probably everything on your list.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM
epacman17
Advanced

Time for an update again:
The ECU has been reflashed to stock and the hesitations are completely gone. I'm measuring lower boost pressures (slightly over 1 bar in sport mode) with Durametric, but the car doesn't really feel slower than before, so I'm pretty happy with that (for now). If I decide to do some tuning later on I will probably start with the plugs and coils.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do fuel pumps fail in a binary fashion or do they slowly die?

What is the best way to diagnose a dying pump? Is there a mileage at which they should just be replaced?

Originally Posted by Kevin
If you got new plugs..

1) New owners might not be familiar with the VarioCam Plus "bump" that occurs between 2700 and 4500 RPM's. You will also have the low lift high lift even happening early on.. It can be a slight shutter depending on load.

2) Knock retard will produce the shutter.. Fill up with RACE GAS>>if you feel the difference, you have your answer.

3) We are starting to see engine sensors degrade. Wideband O2's become sluggish, MAP sensors will get fouled with a oiled filter.

4) Intake leaks, and slight intake leaks..

5) Fuel pressure issues from failing fuel pumps..

Feel free to email me, and I can send you some engine data from 98Ron engine datalogs.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:19 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been having very similar symptoms to this thread. Have datalogged with a Cobb AP, and found that timing was being pulled due to knock sense, but haven't been able to determine the cause. The plugs and coils have been replaced to no effect.

I would think if it was a fuel problem, I would see the fuel trims maxing out at 1.20, but they look fine. I would also think if the oxygen sensors were failing, there would be some discrepancy between them, but the two banks are very consistent. Maybe a leak in the intake? The AFRs don't look unreasonable to me though. Does anyone have ideas for me? Here's a log:

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation during hard acceleration