997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baseline dyno - power dip at 4300 rpm?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM
mavila
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baseline dyno - power dip at 4300 rpm?

I was excited to have the opportunity to get my car on a dyno last weekend and did a couple of baseline pulls. I was generally happy with the results, but I had one area of concern. On both pulls, there was a noticeable dip in the graph/drop in power at approximately 4300 rpm and then it resumes its upward trajectory again. Assuming this is not normal, what might be the cause? On my twin (sequential) turbo RX-7, there was a similar dip as the car transitioned from the smaller primary turbo to the larger secondary turbo, but that was a known phenomenon easily explained. I'm a big believer in dyno testing (and a real mechanical boost gauge) to reveal potential issues like this, but as I'm new to this car, I'm still learning what is typical and what might be problematic. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ma-dyno2.pdf (98.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:55 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

It should't dip like that. You really need to get it dynod again somewhere else to rule out operator error on the dyno and if there is still a dip maybe get it to the best Indy near you
Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

There are lots of things that dip could mean. Without further information and more data it is impossible to answer, but my guess would be an issue with the variocam....just a guess at this point however without knowing more.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Data Log your Camshaft Deviation and Actual Camshaft Angle.

I had this exact same problem it was the Variocam Solenoid. As the engine RPM's and load increase the valve timing advances (Sort of like Honda Vtec) I cant remember the exact values but I believe that at 3600+ RPM the timing advances by about 30deg my Solenoid was in bad shape, so when I hit about 4000RPM under full throttle the Solenoids would disengage and the timing would retard giving it a hesitation.

This was only between 4-5000RPM in 3rd and 4th gear and only under full throttle. if I wasnt full throttle or in a different gear the the symptoms would not be there. Also there was no check engine light

edit: actually lots of times it can just be the bracket that holds the solenoid in place as it will corrode and the increase in load the oil pressure will "push" the solenoid out. There are two solenoids one on each bank in between two spark plugs
I have attached screen shots of my data logging for reference

Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Following. I also noticed a dip in power, though i didn't pay attention to where in the power band.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM
mavila
Rennlist Member

So this is a bummer. Went for a short drive last night to see if the dip in the power band at 4300 rpm was noticeable under part throttle and noticed I now can't get more than 10-11 psi of boost in either normal or sport mode.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

What octane are you running?

Boost leak??? or temperature correction "Limiters"?

Have you datalogged a 3rd to 4th gear pull?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 PM
mavila
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
What octane are you running?

Boost leak??? or temperature correction "Limiters"?

Have you datalogged a 3rd to 4th gear pull?
I still have 100 octane in the tank from the dyno session. I'm guessing maybe I've developed a boost leak, although I don't hear any noticeable hissing. When you pull on the y-pipe in the engine compartment, how much wiggle-room and movement should I expect? There was more than I was expecting, but I've never yanked on it until yesterday. I guess I'm going to have to pull a bunch of things apart to check for leaks or come up with some kind of boost leak/pressure test. Given how much I've recently spent in upgrades (yet to be installed), I'm hoping I can track this down myself without having to pay a lot to a shop to troubleshoot.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mavila
I still have 100 octane in the tank from the dyno session. I'm guessing maybe I've developed a boost leak, although I don't hear any noticeable hissing. When you pull on the y-pipe in the engine compartment, how much wiggle-room and movement should I expect? There was more than I was expecting, but I've never yanked on it until yesterday. I guess I'm going to have to pull a bunch of things apart to check for leaks or come up with some kind of boost leak/pressure test. Given how much I've recently spent in upgrades (yet to be installed), I'm hoping I can track this down myself without having to pay a lot to a shop to troubleshoot.
I had a leak once when the diverter valve hose on one of the turbos popped off.. symptoms were similar to yours (boost tailing off at about 13 psi with no "noises" while driving and a slightly sluggish feeling). Easy to check before pulling everything apart.. also check the host to the FPR.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Bringing this back from the dead... Sorry for the noobie question. How do i data log? With a Cobb AP?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:45 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Bringing this back from the dead... Sorry for the noobie question. How do i data log? With a Cobb AP?
I used Durametric software, I am not sure whether you can datalog with accessport, but I am sure google can answer that question for you.

If you search the forum there are multiple threads on how and what to Datalog. Basically you have the cable, plug one end into your OBD2 port, the other end into your computer, put the car in the on position, launch the program, start the car, select datalogging from the options on the computer. select the sensors that you want to log, then go out for a drive
Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

I just had Porsche of Hawaii test the Variocam and they say it looks to be within spec. I have no clue what i'm looking at, curious if anyone can clue me in. Their test seems much less thorough than the datalog pictured above. I am also trying to diagnose a very intermittent power dip similar to the one described in the OP.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:08 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

I would say that those are snap shots that dont identify the RMP that they were taken at. Like I said in my original post over if this was on full load and over 3500RPM these are not good values, they should be in the neighbourhood of 30Deg. if these values were at idle with no load then they would be acceptable
Old 11-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I would say that those are snap shots that dont identify the RMP that they were taken at. Like I said in my original post over if this was on full load and over 3500RPM these are not good values, they should be in the neighbourhood of 30Deg. if these values were at idle with no load then they would be acceptable
I should've re-read your post again. The dealership does not have the capability to test under load at all RPM's since they do not have a dyno.

I'd hate to unnecessary new parts into the car, but if the Variocam solenoids are not too expensive, i guess i wouldn't mind. Do you know how much both solenoids will cost me?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:36 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

you dont need a dyno to test under full load. I hooked up my data logger and made a run from a stand still on a freeway entrance up to freeway speeds under full load and was able to capture the problem.

Either way I dont think the cost was too bad, I cant remember and exact figure off the top of my head. Labour was the same cost as doing spark plugs, there are two sensors each was about $300 I think. Another possibility is the mounting bracket for the solenoid. It seems to be a frequent problem as well. where the bracket corrodes and breaks, then under full load the oil pressure will push the solenoid back and give false readings. I think the brackets are $12 each.

Did you bring it to and independent shop or dealership? This may be the instance where it is worth spending the money at a dealership to have it properly diagnosed

Vario Cam Stutter

Valve Lift Solenoid Replacement

Solved Misfire

Check Tose Solenoid Brackets

Vario Cam Lift Valve Solenoid

Intermittent hesitation

Last edited by jordanturbo; 11-04-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baseline dyno - power dip at 4300 rpm?