Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking / Groaning sound turning wheel, empty PS reservoir , help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017 | 10:36 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Default Creaking / Groaning sound turning wheel, empty PS reservoir , help please!

Hello all! FYI I did my due diligence and searched extensively on these forums and google but I just wanted a more definite opinion before I drop a few grand on something I may or may not need. Thanks ahead of time, this forum is a lifesaver.

So two days ago I heard a creaking/groaning sound when I turned the wheel about 1/4 to half and the sound stopped before continuing into full lock. It did not appear speed dependent, anywhere from parking lot to 25mph U turn speeds. I read it could be a leaking reservoir so I checked that first and to my surprise it was nearly empty on hot. I filled it up and the next day (yesterday) the groaning continued into my quick morning commute but was gone by the afternoon, checked the reservoir again and it was at the same level I filled it to the day before. Unfortunately about 3 miles into my commute this morning it started again in the parking lot with just the slightest turn of the wheel and less consistently.

The car was serviced 14 months ago at the dealership right before I bought it and the actuator was replaced among other things. With no visible signs of leaks in the garage or near the fill cap/red seals on the reservoir, I am wondering how on earth it could be empty? I know the other common problem is the clutch slave which could drain the PS reservoir because they are connected. I read somewhere else about engaging the clutch with the car off to test the clutch components? I am able to engage the clutch about 15x before it locks.

Any ideas?? I am confused if it's the reservoir or slave or both. Or if being nearly empty caused the hiccups and it'll work itself out since I filled it?
Old 04-06-2017 | 12:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I suspect your clutch reservoir under the front bonnet is leaking due to a faulty slave/accum. The two systems share the fluid basically. Common.
Old 04-06-2017 | 01:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, as TT Surgeon has mentioned.. Slave cylinder has failed.

The power steering circuit supplies Pentosin to the slave for "assist"

You will find most of the lost Pentosin under the hood >>slave reservoir has over flowed.
Old 04-06-2017 | 02:26 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Default Just looked

Thanks, I just checked and it appears to be over the max line, nearly to the top (pictures attached). I saw maybe the smallest wet spot but not near the cap or the tubing, no obvious leaks. I've never been in here so I'm not sure, but is the cap supposed to feel so flimsy? It doesn't feel tight and I can easily pull it off without unscrewing, even after tightening but it's also easy to go past the tight point and disengage completely.

If I filled it up the PS reservoir the other day it wouldn't affect the level of this clutch tank would it?
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2017 | 02:36 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Well I came across this just now while trying to figure out where to look for the puddle. For anyone else who may have this issue in the future.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ls-itself.html

Thanks guys! Will order that GT2 conversion today.
Old 04-06-2017 | 03:41 PM
C's Turbo
Instructor

Same symptoms I had a few years back. New slave and accumulater took car of it.

Quick Reply: Creaking / Groaning sound turning wheel, empty PS reservoir , help please!