Sponsored by:

997.2 TTS at Half Mile SoCal Airstrip Event

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 997.2 TTS at Half Mile SoCal Airstrip Event

What's up Rennlist. Went out to an airstrip event in early April to stretch the legs of my 997.2 a bit. Car is downright savage. Couldn't be happier with the 997 platform.

Enjoy.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Revell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an epic day. Did you use launch control on any of the runs?
Revell
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Awesome results, congrats! Vids like these make me want to trade up to a PDK..
Nothing can touch it from a dig..
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM
jddealer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious...I see you manually shift instead of letting the PDK shift itself. What benefits do you find? Are you short shifting or revving higher than the computer would decide to shift? Nice runs. Looks like the car is running great.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

great job buddy !
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice, those other guys are asleep on the line, well done.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Revell
Looks like an epic day. Did you use launch control on any of the runs?
Revell

Yes LC every run.

Originally Posted by saabin
Awesome results, congrats! Vids like these make me want to trade up to a PDK..
Nothing can touch it from a dig..

Too much power and traction suffers off the line. I think my car is optimized with the mild power increase, R888 tires and unique suspension setup.

Originally Posted by jddealer
Just curious...I see you manually shift instead of letting the PDK shift itself. What benefits do you find? Are you short shifting or revving higher than the computer would decide to shift? Nice runs. Looks like the car is running great.

The 997.2 has a very small fuel system so the car doesn't make much power at the top end. But it makes a lot of torque in the mid-range and so I just keep the car in the mid-range during the entire race which requires me to upshift at like 6K rpm.

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
great job buddy !

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Nice, those other guys are asleep on the line, well done.

The reality is the ones that looked like they were asleep had too much power to launch on the poor runway surface, so they had to just roll-out. With big turbos there is no boost until high in the rev range, so those cars are crawling up to like 15mph until their boost kicks in and by that time I'm gone. You like the old air cooled turbo cars...think about launching one of those without being able to rev it up past say 1,200 rpm.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:34 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
The reality is the ones that looked like they were asleep had too much power to launch on the poor runway surface, so they had to just roll-out. With big turbos there is no boost until high in the rev range, so those cars are crawling up to like 15mph until their boost kicks in and by that time I'm gone. You like the old air cooled turbo cars...think about launching one of those without being able to rev it up past say 1,200 rpm.
I know the purpose of every race isn't to beat your opponent to the finish line first (sometimes it is about high MPH or low ET), but if the goal of the race in the most traditional sense is to line up next to someone and beat them, your car is king. It's like the perfect combo between power and traction, which isn't easy. Makes you wonder what those guys are trying to accomplish when they build those 800whp+ cars that cannot get off the line. I guess I'm somewhat traditional though, and don't "get" the races where you're just trying to hit a high MPH at the end of a mile run.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I know the purpose of every race isn't to beat your opponent to the finish line first (sometimes it is about high MPH or low ET), but if the goal of the race in the most traditional sense is to line up next to someone and beat them, your car is king. It's like the perfect combo between power and traction, which isn't easy. Makes you wonder what those guys are trying to accomplish when they build those 800whp+ cars that cannot get off the line. I guess I'm somewhat traditional though, and don't "get" the races where you're just trying to hit a high MPH at the end of a mile run.
10000% agreed. Some guys build a high horsepower number for bragging rights. Most of the time, that power works against them when it's time to use it. A more complete package (like Adam's car above) is way more practical and usable.
Personally, I think it's embarrassing to get spanked all over the runway by a car with much less power.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by vbb
Originally Posted by Southpaw
10000% agreed. Some guys build a high horsepower number for bragging rights. Most of the time, that power works against them when it's time to use it. A more complete package (like Adam's car above) is way more practical and usable.
Personally, I think it's embarrassing to get spanked all over the runway by a car with much less power.

Yeah there are times when I line up with high HP cars and they are probably like who cares about the Porsche next to me and just safely crawl out for a 200 mph blast off, which takes all of their effort to keep straight. So I realize not everyone is there to race.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a car like that which has to be trailered to and from events. Not for everyone. Glad Porsche makes something like this for us!

Quick Reply: 997.2 TTS at Half Mile SoCal Airstrip Event