Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you want ... next? Is there a next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default What would you want ... next? Is there a next?

Thoughts during a boring Saturday afternoon -

So I've had my 2012 911 Turbo S (my dream car) for almost 2 years now and love it. Since I'm a car lover (addict), I of course look for a newer car sometimes. That leads me to staring bleary eyed, late at night at cars.com and ebay ads. Can you relate? Why do I do this to myself?

I think to myself - hmmm, a 2014-15 silver/black 991 Turbo S. Do I really need it? Could I sell my car that I bought for $110k for... say - $104k or even more, and then do I want to spend another $25k or $30k to get the 2015 Turbo S? Why? Is it really that much nicer? I'm not so sure. It's bigger, that's for sure. The interior is different, but is it THAT much nicer? Worth the difference?

Or maybe... there's another car I'd like instead of my Turbo S. A... what exactly? What would be better? I'm a 911 guy, not an Aston Martin guy, nor an Audi R8 guy, nor a MB AMG GT or SL guy, nor a Ferrari or Maserati guy, or anything else for that matter, now that I really think about it. Most of those other cars seem too outlandish or overly expensive looking to me. I couldn't pull that look off.

My car seems downplayed in comparison, especially in silver.

Is this really me? Pics below of a 2015 Turbo S in Silver - hmmmmm...

Instead of what I already have?

I don't know. Not for now. I can't think of any compelling reason to make the switch. For the money I save by not upgrading to the newer car, I'm putting it towards my expedition to the South Pole in December. Yes to travel and experiences!

https://antarctic-logistics.com

What about you folks? Do you think about, obsess about, wonder about, what's next? Could you, would you want to - sell your Turbo or Turbo S easily - to get, what exactly?

I even apply this to my 2012 MB S63. It's only worth about $48k now vs. the $78500 I paid for it 2 years ago. What could I sell it for that would have equal rear seat room, a "hot" look to it, that would only cost about $15-20k more than what I could sell it for? Nothing, I've determined.

Maybe I'll get a 2017 BMW M760i when they're about 4 years old, or a 2017 BMW Alpina B7 when it's 4 years old, or maybe a 2017 MBS63 when it's 4 years old, but nothing for now. Super happy with both cars at the moment. It's rare that I'm so satisfied.

Yeah... maybe I need to watch this again on Netflix.
Minimalism: a Documentary About the Important Things

Amazon Amazon

Repeat after me, Steve... "want what you have... want what you have..."
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I've had my turbo 3 1/2 years now, and have considered moving to a 991TT or maybe a 997.2TT PDK..

Prices on the 991TT are still up there, but I could sell my 997 for what I bought it for years ago.. Still would need to bring a bit of $ to the table..

Maybe some day, but prob not now.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I just went through this process in the last year. I also obsess over cars, and I can't find anything else that I'd rather buy than a 911. I considered an Aston Martin Vantage, I considered a Ferrari California, I considered a Jaguar F-Type R, and a few more. I found nothing that offered the overall package that the 911 offers.

My 997 turbo cab was a 997.1, so there was a bigger step up to the 991 than there was from the 997.2. That being said, It was a huge upgrade in many ways. It's hardly bigger at all; we are talking less than an inch on most dimensions. The 991 actually weighs less. It feels bigger because of the interior layout and the longer wheelbase, but it's really not much bigger at all.

Most casual observers can't tell the difference. My 991 is very close in color to my 997. When both cars were sitting in my driveway, my wife wasn't sure which one was the new one and which one was the old one. Once we went for a drive in the new one, she could definitely tell the difference.

Was it worth the upgrade? It depends on what you value in a car. For me, it was worth the upgrade. For another person, it may not be. Only you can decide. You can't go wrong either way.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Took me 60 yrs to get my 08 turbo. I'm HAPPY, and done😀!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

So I've had my 2012 911 Turbo S (my dream car) for almost 2 years now and love it. Since I'm a car lover (addict), I of course look for a newer car sometimes. That leads me to staring bleary eyed, late at night at cars.com and ebay ads. Can you relate? Why do I do this to myself?

I think to myself - hmmm, a 2014-15 silver/black 991 Turbo S. Do I really need it? Could I sell my car that I bought for $110k for... say - $104k or even more, and then do I want to spend another $25k or $30k to get the 2015 Turbo S? Why? Is it really that much nicer? I'm not so sure. It's bigger, that's for sure. The interior is different, but is it THAT much nicer? Worth the difference?

Or maybe... there's another car I'd like instead of my Turbo S. A... what exactly? What would be better? I'm a 911 guy, not an Aston Martin guy, nor an Audi R8 guy, nor a MB AMG GT or SL guy, nor a Ferrari or Maserati guy, or anything else for that matter, now that I really think about it. Most of those other cars seem too outlandish or overly expensive looking to me. I couldn't pull that look off.

Is this really me? Pics below of a 2015 Turbo S in Silver - hmmmmm...

Instead of what I already have?

I don't know. Not for now. I can't think of any compelling reason to make the switch. For the money I save by not upgrading to the newer car, I'm putting it towards my expedition to the South Pole in December. Yes to travel and experiences!

What about you folks? Do you think about, obsess about, wonder about, what's next? Could you, would you want to - sell your Turbo or Turbo S easily - to get, what exactly?

I even apply this to my 2012 MB S63. It's only worth about $48k now vs. the $78500 I paid for it 2 years ago. What could I sell it for that would have equal rear seat room, a "hot" look to it, that would only cost about $15-20k more than what I could sell it for? Nothing, I've determined.

Maybe I'll get a 2017 BMW M760i when they're about 4 years old, or a 2017 BMW Alpina B7 when it's 4 years old, or maybe a 2017 MBS63 when it's 4 years old, but nothing for now. Super happy with both cars at the moment. It's rare that I'm so satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/Minimalism-Do...&sortBy=recent

steve, if you are happy with your 997 (color, interior etc. specs. that you like ) i would keep it. i have a 2013 997 tts , really same as yours. i bought it in dec. 2012 at the time few new 997 turbos were available as the 991 turbos were coming to market. i could have waited for the newer 991 but actually preferred the 997 . styling just seemed a little more aggressive to me . most of us are always looking for that next car but the difference between your choices is not too great.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably another 930
Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Any GT3RS. Drive one and you'll be sold in the first mile.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:44 AM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem heretical, but after 2 years with my 09 TT, I'm considering another Lotus. I had a supercharged Elise prior to my TT, and although I do love many aspects of the TT I've never had more fun driving than in the Elise. It was just too raw. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, noisy, hard to get in and out of. But on a cool spring day on a curvy road, nothing I've ever driven is better. This summer the Evora 400 is coming out in a roadster version. I'm going to drive one and see what I think. I wish it had another 100 HP. And then in 2020 the new Elise is being released. If I stayed with Porsche it would have to be a MT and that limits my options. Also still have an F430 in the back of my mind, but maintenance costs are so scary.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:26 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Always looking at car listings, always.
Don't like 991. 997 body style is perfectly proportioned.
Was driving yesterday and saw a mclaren on a ford lot. Stopped, looked, pretty cool. But it was an automatic. Not.
I'd probably get another gt car, or an older nine eleven if I were to change from current turbo.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

https://www.amazon.com/Minimalism-Do...&sortBy=recent

Steve,

I think that Jack Kornfield offered up something similar speaking about an experience with an Indian guru... definitely not verbatim

I don't understand you westerner's, why do you want what you do not have rather than want what you have...

I am not necessarily preaching that philosophy, I know of another wise man, I think it was Oscar Wilde who took the other approach.. "The best way to fight temptation is to yield."

More often than not, I fall into the latter camp LOL... however, I'm keeping mine (for now)!

good luck!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by saudio
This may seem heretical, but after 2 years with my 09 TT, I'm considering another Lotus. I had a supercharged Elise prior to my TT, and although I do love many aspects of the TT I've never had more fun driving than in the Elise. It was just too raw. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, noisy, hard to get in and out of. But on a cool spring day on a curvy road, nothing I've ever driven is better. This summer the Evora 400 is coming out in a roadster version. I'm going to drive one and see what I think. I wish it had another 100 HP. And then in 2020 the new Elise is being released. If I stayed with Porsche it would have to be a MT and that limits my options. Also still have an F430 in the back of my mind, but maintenance costs are so scary.
Have you driven a Cayman GTS or R? Or a GT4 perhaps? Worth considering. A few people I know are in the process of or have migrated over from 911's.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same thoughts and would only trade for a gt car but that doesnt fit my needs at moment. As a 997.2 tts owner, I dont see the 991 as a big enough jump to justify the expense though that is very personal choice. I think you probably are significanty underestimating the upgade cost as well. 105k is very optimistic.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 PM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzskater
Have you driven a Cayman GTS or R? Or a GT4 perhaps? Worth considering. A few people I know are in the process of or have migrated over from 911's.

I haven't, but I'm a die hard open top guy. I owned a Boxter S for three years so I'm familiar with the platform, and honestly I think the Cayman is the most attractive Porsche out there (not counting the 918 of course). I'd love to see a roadster version of the Cayman. An MT Cayman roaster would likely keep me in the family :-)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:27 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Boxster Spyder then! I was hoping they'd depreciate a bit more, but they're thin on the ground here in NZ so I haven't moved to one. That will likely be my next Porsche.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 versus 991

Love what Porsche are adding to their cars, but hate what they're taking away, especially when it dilutes a sports car:

Name:  997 versus 991.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  216.0 KB

Funds aside, that'd be the 'upgrade' killer for me.

Quick Reply: What would you want ... next? Is there a next?