997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More exhaust tips - Kline carbon?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More exhaust tips - Kline carbon?

Am on 3rd set of OEM tips and once again they have started pitting.

May well pursue yet another Ex warranty claim, but considering alternatives and do not want round tips in the unique opening on the turbo.

Anyone got the Kline carbon tails and if so, views? Particularly the robustness of them to the extreme temps etc...

Pictures would be super too... thanks.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Get the OEM tips coated in black high temp ceramic paint.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Bikeracer1098
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJKflyer
Am on 3rd set of OEM tips and once again they have started pitting.

May well pursue yet another Ex warranty claim, but considering alternatives and do not want round tips in the unique opening on the turbo.

Anyone got the Kline carbon tails and if so, views? Particularly the robustness of them to the extreme temps etc...

How did you manage to get your OEM tips replaced under warranty?

I tried with two OPCs who advised me that they were not covered!!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 459 Likes on 188 Posts

I am on the 2nd gen Kline CF tips. It's better design than the first one as the prev one had the CF layer attached to the metal skin of the tips directly, thus would yellow over time due to the heat. In my case, within 6 months.

The revised version (2nd gen) has the CF layer levitated from the metal exhaust tip skin, similar to the SpeedArt CF tips, thus minimizing the heat effect on the CF; however, the edge of the CF layer is wrapped around or comes into contact with the edge of the exhaust tips, thus, I am not sure how long this will last before it will yellow again. I've had the revised version for less than 500 miles thus far, and no yellowing yet. We'll see.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikeracer1098
How did you manage to get your OEM tips replaced under warranty?

I tried with two OPCs who advised me that they were not covered!!
First set was replaced under Manufacturer's 3-year warranty - no quibble.

Second set was replaced under UK extended warranty - initially there was a refusal as there is an exclusion stating "Optical and acoustic defects with no impact upon functionality." but I persisted and they were done after Porsche GB agreed to do so as an "act of goodwill".

The long story:

The area that fails in each case is that inside edge of the chrome plating - as supplied by the factory there is a black painted inner edge (which looks pretty shyte) - probably there to disguise the anticipated pitting but it seems to exacerbate it - and as this is cleaned repeatedly it comes off revealing the ruined finish.

Also the heat-cycled paint permanently stains the underlying chrome yellow, and so you end up re-masking the line and spraying it occasionally with VHT black to keep it tidy.

On the first set I actually polished through the chrome on one tip to the nickel/copper plate beneath just using Autosol as recommended by the OPC. So maybe that set was faulty.

The second set just pitted and looked scruffy - and again I had to repaint the black bit which got larger as the pitted area extended.

The third set look a lot less bad - when they were supplied I stripped the black paint off and used GTechniq nano wheel protector on them. Believe it or not this withstands the temp fairly well and can be frequently re-applied. However, it's not a final solution as this third set are now failing.

I'm investigating alternatives as I fear I will not get a fourth set under warranty!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:43 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808c2s
I am on the 2nd gen Kline CF tips. It's better design than the first one as the prev one had the CF layer attached to the metal skin of the tips directly, thus would yellow over time due to the heat. In my case, within 6 months.

The revised version (2nd gen) has the CF layer levitated from the metal exhaust tip skin, similar to the SpeedArt CF tips, thus minimizing the heat effect on the CF; however, the edge of the CF layer is wrapped around or comes into contact with the edge of the exhaust tips, thus, I am not sure how long this will last before it will yellow again. I've had the revised version for less than 500 miles thus far, and no yellowing yet. We'll see.
Good to hear - thanks. yes the yellowing was a worry - the under-bonnet CF trim on my RS4 yellowed and that's a fraction of the temp of the exhaust on a turbo 911!

Kline said there is a 4-year warranty which sounds promising.

Any chance of a picture?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Here's the updated Kline CF tip

Name:  photo950.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  891.4 KB

Name:  photo586.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  836.2 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

At the rate Porsche OEM CF has delaminated on my dashboard (5 times in 95K miles), I find that a brave move of Kline.

Anyway, Techart for me. No problems and cleans up easily.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM
realking
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone else been able to have their OEM 997.2 Turbo tips replaced under warranty? I'm down to the nickel/copper plate too trying to make them look good.

I'm covered by a 2 year/50,000 mile CPO warranty now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:36 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Here's the updated Kline CF tip

Attachment 1124056

Attachment 1124055
That's very helpful, thank you for taking the trouble.

Looking at the top down view, it appears that there's a line about 3/8" from the outside edge - is this some sort of join?

I think that they look very smart, and like them enough to be 'wanting' them, but I am indeed smarting even more about longevity of carbon fibre and hot exhaust - it just seems subjectively a really odd materials choice for this duty.

A bit like vinyl wrapping a cardboard coffee pot - "Don't worry - the vinyl should keep the cardboard dry"...

I suppose I'm just too suspicious after three sets of OEM and one set of (failed) aftermarket metal tips.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Yes, it appears to be some sort of join. This is where I am a bit leery about; as it's the place where the CF wraps around and comes in contact with the edge of the tip. Ideally, this area should also be levitated above the stainless steel tip (a double barrel, if you will) to provide a space of air to minimize heat effect on the CF material. I truly think SpeedArt's CF tips for the 997.1/.2 Turbos got it right, but unfortunately, the design of the quad tips muffles the noise and diminishes the wail of the turbo boxer in the upper rpm, in my experience.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:04 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Agree completely - maybe a completely annular design would leave the CF too unsupported and vulnerable to damage.

I thought the SpeedART tips for the Gen 2 turbo were single ones, like the GT2? And also stainless, not carbon? From their UK website...
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2017, 06:58 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by realking
Has anyone else been able to have their OEM 997.2 Turbo tips replaced under warranty? I'm down to the nickel/copper plate too trying to make them look good.

I'm covered by a 2 year/50,000 mile CPO warranty now.

Thanks in advance!
My argument was:
  1. They were replaced without quibble under OEM warranty - so why a different behaviour under Extended Warranty?
  2. It is not an optical 'defect' or 'wear and tear' - neither something caused by wear from debris or other road matter. (e.g. stone chips), nor an acceptable tolerance of defect present at time of manufacture (e.g. missing pixel in PCM)
  3. It is a progressive failure of the material of construction to meet the requirements for which it was specified under normal operation of the vehicle.

However, in the world of extended/CPO warranty, no doubt YMMV.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

My bad, it's the Cargraphics CF tips that I am thinking of.

http://vrechise.com/getimage.php?i=CARP97ERKEV_3.jpg

Agree completely - maybe a completely annular design would leave the CF too unsupported and vulnerable to damage.

I thought the SpeedART tips for the Gen 2 turbo were single ones, like the GT2? And also stainless, not carbon? From their UK website...
Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some one pointed this out to me a while back and I may be into making a set of tips for the Kline exhausts when time permits. I have a full 3" from them and no cats but using the factory tips to keep the stealth look, but not thinking about the change down to 2.1" at the exit so they can fit the factory tips.. I know so me will argue this makes zero difference but it actually does in an exhaust system. having a 3" wide open system then down to 2.1" is quite a bit of restriction at the tips. Im looking at cutting back on the pipes before the crimp and having tips made to clamp on the outside diameter of the 3" for the exit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More exhaust tips - Kline carbon?