Sponsored by:

997TT Rev Report - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
TT Surgeon's great recommendation is one path to satisfy your concerns with the car. However, for myself I've stopped playing with these Dealership Knuckle Heads. A third party conducting the PPI is a sound approach, unless this car was elegible to be CPO'd, which its not.
My approach is to cut to the chase, speak with the General Manager, tell them you want a third party PPI and you're willing to provide a refundable deposit. Should the PPI reveal issues, then all bets are off. I'd share that you're colaboating with a few colleagues on Rennlist...can't hurt to let them be aware of the visibility their dealership is receiving...which could be a positive or negative depending on the outcome. Nothing wrong with being persistent....as its your hard earned money.
BTW: There are very good Porsche salespersons out there and then here are lying, cheating, pieces of garbage and yes some end up working at a Porsche Dealership for a period of time..
If you receive approval, specifically tell the PPI evaluator your major concearns... If not approved, I'd walk.
It really is a nicely priced car...and could be an
excellent platform for the mods you'll want to do. But, it's still a lot of money...and the last thing you want is buyers remorse and/or a car you can't drive.

Best of luck, and keep us posted, JB
Definitely go right to the gm, I've done that several times.
C
Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
I've got a line on a local 08 through a shop nearby, car has seen track time but meticulous maintained, and coolant pipes addressed - seats, suspension, pccb have all been sitting on the shelf and now the car has been converted back to stock. Sounds promising and this seller has no problems with a PPI!
I don't think you can be too timid about overrevs when you're looking at a former track car...
Old 12-31-2016, 12:51 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theplings
I've got a line on a local 08 through a shop nearby, car has seen track time but meticulous maintained, and coolant pipes addressed - seats, suspension, pccb have all been sitting on the shelf and now the car has been converted back to stock. Sounds promising and this seller has no problems with a PPI!
Sounds good! These 997's are well engineered for owners to enjoy their cars at the track. Given proper prep and maintenance intervals...I would not worry one bit.
You sound much more positive about this 997... We buy these Porsches not because we have to, but because we enjoy them on so many levels. Everything from turning on the garage light to take a peek (you're lying if you say you don't), to a long Sunday drive on our favorite snake-road and maybe visit a pub with our freinds.
My thoughts are... from first sight there's an emotional bond that's important to have with the cars we pursue. However, that emotion should not be fear and/or anxiety...
These cars are indeed special, otherwise we'd all drive one of the millions of cookie cutter cars available.
You'll know the right one when you see and feel it..the rest is just doing your due diligence.

Keep us posted!!!
JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 12-31-2016 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Stuff
Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Sounds good! These 997's are well engineered for owners to enjoy their cars at the track. Given proper prep and maintenance intervals...I would not worry one bit.
You sound much more positive about this 997... We buy these Porsches not because we have to, but because we enjoy them on so many levels. Everything from turning on the garage light to take a peek (you're lying if you say you don't), to a long Sunday drive on our favorite snake-road and maybe visit a pub with our freinds.
My thoughts are... from first sight there's an emotional bond that's important to have with the cars we pursue. However, that emotion should not be fear and/or anxiety...
These cars are indeed special, otherwise we'd all drive one of the millions of cookie cutter cars available.
You'll know the right one when you see and feel it..the rest is just doing your due diligence.

Keep us posted!!!
JB
Yes I am very optimistic about this car, in talking with the shop(not where the majority of work has been done) they said this guy is fananitical about maintaining his cars.

My gut reaction to a car with track time was no, but researching it more, it sounds like these can be the most looked after cars out there, and if they are taken care of, the Metzgers can handle it.

I'll let y'all know how it ends up.

Quick Reply: 997TT Rev Report - Thoughts?