Sponsored by:

997TT Rev Report - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theplings
I'm with you on it not being tuned, seems odd to do intake/exhaust but then not tune the car. I've attached the full diagnostics(which included rev report) - does this show enough info to tell if it was tuned? Its giberish to me.

Thanks!
EDITED:
There are others much more qualified on Rennlist to help you with the report. I'd recommend seeking assistance from a professional that is trained to provide you with the answers you're searching. I'm told the only true way to determine if the car had a tune is for the ECU to be sent back to Porsche in Germany, which is not practical.
The few hundred you spend now, could save you thousands down the road. JB
Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah I dont think the dealer would go for sending the ECU to Germany ;-)

I will be getting a PPI, I posted another thread looking for advice for a shop in the area southwest of Boston, didn't get any responses. I have talked to one shop that can do it.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Yeah I dont think the dealer would go for sending the ECU to Germany ;-)

I will be getting a PPI, I posted another thread looking for advice for a shop in the area southwest of Boston, didn't get any responses. I have talked to one shop that can do it.
Good luck and hope it all works out...JB
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

That's a nice build and I wouldn't worry about the DME report you posted.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:37 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice build and nice price for a 6MT with the mileage. The DME report is fine. You're doing a PPI which is good as well. Check the brakes, clutch and tread depth especially and get an idea of when the spark plugs were last changed. You can't possibly know all of the backstory on a car, even with a PPI, but you can check the most likely issues you'll have.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 PM
theplings
Racer

Default Dealer says NO to PPI

Porsche Westwood kept balking at a third party PPI and then flatly said NO to it, it's unbelievable - the salesman tried to make it seem like I was asking for something unreasonable, I'm done with it, I told him to call me if they want to sell the car and change their minds.

Just to confirm I wasn't crazy, I cold called three other Porsche dealers selling similar 997TTs, San Diego, Atlanta, and Cherry Hill NJ and asked about a PPI on the 997tt they have for sale.

All three immediately said of course I could do a third party, off-site PPI at an independent shop, no hesitation AT ALL! This is what I would expect.

Welp that's that, I don't know what their problem is...
Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In most cases they dealers that object in having the car inspected at a local offsite shop are the ones that are hiding something, in my experience. That is a great priced car though, although it may come at a price to you....
Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by MK_TT
In most cases they dealers that object in having the car inspected at a local offsite shop are the ones that are hiding something, in my experience. That is a great priced car though, although it may come at a price to you....
Would an actual Porsche dealer be this unscrupulous? I have a hard time believing that but there is no other explanation for it...
Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a p dealer, ask the shop foreman to do the ppi and sign his name to it.
Hate to lose out on a nice one bc of a jerk salesman. You could offer a refundable deposit.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:16 AM
johnbelk
Pro

TT Surgeon's great recommendation is one path to satisfy your concerns with the car. However, for myself I've stopped playing with these Dealership Knuckle Heads. A third party conducting the PPI is a sound approach, unless this car was elegible to be CPO'd, which its not.
My approach is to cut to the chase, speak with the General Manager, tell them you want a third party PPI and you're willing to provide a refundable deposit. Should the PPI reveal issues, then all bets are off. I'd share that you're colaboating with a few colleagues on Rennlist...can't hurt to let them be aware of the visibility their dealership is receiving...which could be a positive or negative depending on the outcome. Nothing wrong with being persistent....as its your hard earned money.
BTW: There are very good Porsche salespersons out there and then here are lying, cheating, pieces of garbage and yes some end up working at a Porsche Dealership for a period of time..
If you receive approval, specifically tell the PPI evaluator your major concearns... If not approved, I'd walk.
It really is a nicely priced car...and could be an
excellent platform for the mods you'll want to do. But, it's still a lot of money...and the last thing you want is buyers remorse and/or a car you can't drive.

Best of luck, and keep us posted, JB
Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
IMO DME reports are over-hyped. I've yet to hear or read about anyone on this board or 6-speed that had an engine go bad after buying a car with a DME report in the 5 or 6 range.
THIS!!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:04 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by johnbelk
TT Surgeon's great recommendation is one path to satisfy your concerns with the car. However, for myself I've stopped playing with these Dealership Knuckle Heads. A third party conducting the PPI is a sound approach, unless this car was elegible to be CPO'd, which its not.
My approach is to cut to the chase, speak with the General Manager, tell them you want a third party PPI and you're willing to provide a refundable deposit. Should the PPI reveal issues, then all bets are off. I'd share that you're colaboating with a few colleagues on Rennlist...can't hurt to let them be aware of the visibility their dealership is receiving...which could be a positive or negative depending on the outcome. Nothing wrong with being persistent....as its your hard earned money.
BTW: There are very good Porsche salespersons out there and then here are lying, cheating, pieces of garbage and yes some end up working at a Porsche Dealership for a period of time..
If you receive approval, specifically tell the PPI evaluator your major concearns... If not approved, I'd walk.
It really is a nicely priced car...and could be an
excellent platform for the mods you'll want to do. But, it's still a lot of money...and the last thing you want is buyers remorse and/or a car you can't drive.

Best of luck, and keep us posted, JB

Salesman offered to have their techs do a PPI, what do you all think of this approach?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Its not ideal, but if this is the car that checks all your boxes, and you review the results carefully, then I'd be ok with it.

I'd ask to do awalk around with the tech and have him show you the faults or at least what he's inspecting. If you're car knowledgeable, you should be able to figure out if hes full of **** or not.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Salesman offered to have their techs do a PPI, what do you all think of this approach?
Personally, I'm a third party fan when it comes to these inpections, unless the dealership is going to CPO the car.
I will also say that I will pay more for a solid. well documented car...to reduce risk and in the end feel better about the purchase without stress...also, it helps when I sell the car
​​​​​In the end it's what you're comfortable with as its your money....ask yourself. Why has this car not sold already? When I sign my name on the contract, is there some doubt that I'm doing the right thing?
There are other 997s out there...many come through Rennlist...person to person.
Good Luck!!! JB
Old 12-30-2016, 08:52 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Personally, I'm a third party fan when it comes to these inpections, unless the dealership is going to CPO the car.
I will also say that I will pay more for a solid. well documented car...to reduce risk and in the end feel better about the purchase without stress...also, it helps when I sell the car
​​​​​In the end it's what you're comfortable with as its your money....ask yourself. Why has this car not sold already? When I sign my name on the contract, is there some doubt that I'm doing the right thing?
There are other 997s out there...many come through Rennlist...person to person.
Good Luck!!! JB
I've got a line on a local 08 through a shop nearby, car has seen track time but meticulous maintained, and coolant pipes addressed - seats, suspension, pccb have all been sitting on the shelf and now the car has been converted back to stock. Sounds promising and this seller has no problems with a PPI!

Quick Reply: 997TT Rev Report - Thoughts?