Sponsored by:

09 TT Coupe 6MT at Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:32 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Admittedly I'm not 997 Turbo market savvy but the price seems a bit high.

KBB lists the trade-in value between $51.4K to $59K.

Retail price range is between $58.6K to $67.9K.

There is no doubt the car is priced rather high. I never have known a dealer to price a car otherwise. (And FWIW, my 2003 Turbo (CPO) with just 10K miles was listed at $61.9K at a Porsche dealer and I bought it for $57.7K.)

But CarMax has a no haggle policy, which is of course plenty sweet for CarMax, but maybe not so sweet for a car buyer.

(Was at the Roseville CA (near Sacramento) CarMax facility a couple of months back with a family member who found a car she wanted at this facility. Drove her up there and rode with her as she tested the car -- it was a nice car -- and in the office she made an offer based on her research. CarMax sales manager came over and stated no haggling, the price listed is a take it leave it price, so she left it. The car was clearly over priced. A week or two later she found another car (similar car, same make/model, etc.) in Idaho and at a much lower price -- even after factoring in shipping cost -- and bought that one instead.)

Comical perspective from such a prolific rennlist poster. I have only been around a short time but know that is a steal for an 09. Not to mention the I have never known a dealer not to overprice comment. Happens more than you would think, especially for unicorns dealer isnt familiar with. And kbb is pretty useless for most higher end cars.

Last edited by cdnewton; 12-27-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:27 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Just saw another nicely equipped gary/grey, Tip with 30K miles in PA for $75.9. That 's the most 09 TTs I've ever seen on the CM site. This one appears to be priced right, maybe they are catching on-.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

It's not there anymore.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Two 07 TT coupes, 1 with a 6MT and an 09 TT coupe with a Tip on their website. All reasonably priced - no affiliation.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Still there
https://www.carmax.com/car/13728897

looks like it will def need a new lip though
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Still there
https://www.carmax.com/car/13728897

looks like it will def need a new lip though
It looks YUMMY to me. If I was in the market for a Manual Transmission 2009....I'd be all over this damn thing! Perfect color combo to me. Wonder why it's still there? Seems like it would sell within 3 days of landing with all "these people on here" looking.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
It looks YUMMY to me. If I was in the market for a Manual Transmission 2009....I'd be all over this damn thing! Perfect color combo to me. Wonder why it's still there? Seems like it would sell within 3 days of landing with all "these people on here" looking.
So true. Wish I had room for another one
Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Admittedly my 09 coupe has just about the ideal spec, and there were very few 09's, but I think it has gone up in value since I bought it three years ago, even though it now has 8K more on the odo. If that's true you have to believe that 09's and possibly earlier years have hit the bottom of their depreciation curve.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

+1, Yes, I agree.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Carmax is also a dumping ground for problem vehicles at times. I would definitely PPI this vehicle and purchase the carmax warranty if buying it as a good measure.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Carmax is also a dumping ground for problem vehicles at times. I would definitely PPI this vehicle and purchase the carmax warranty if buying it as a good measure.
I have never purchased a vehicle from CarMax and I am not affiliated with the company at all, but why do people say this about them? I mean, what risks exist by purchasing a car from CarMax that don't exist if you purchased a used vehicle from anywhere else other than a CPO vehicle from the dealership for that particular brand? If I find a nice 911 Turbo at a Mercedes dealership, how do I know that the prior owner didn't just dump it there?

I am seriously trying to understand why CarMax has a reputation for being a problem vehicle Dumping Ground as opposed to any other dealership. People frequently trade in cars before major service is due, or that have problems. And all dealerships, even CarMax, at least make an effort to check out the car for any problems before putting a price on it for trade.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I've purchased at least six cars from CarMax (Porsche, MB AMG's, BMW's etc.) in the past and never had a problem with any of them. Granted they are a volume dealer and price their cars accordingly. They also have a very well trained staff of appraisers who can spot almost any defect in a vehicle. I know, I bought a 2011 BMW 135i M-sport 6MT from a dealer who swore to me the car was perfect with a clean Carfax, and it looked that way to me too. And I'm very critical. When I traded it in at my local CarMax they immediately noticed the car had been in a minor accident and the passenger door had been repaired and repainted at a dealership. The quality of the repair was excellent and unnoticeable to anyone except their expert.

That said, they don't sell junk and if there's an after sale problem it's usually handled very professionally. When it comes to Porsche's and other performance cars CarMax will almost always send them to the dealer for repairs because their maintenance staff may not trained or qualified to work on them. That's why I buy their extended warranty which is one of the best and least expensive (e.g., compared to Fidelity) in the industry and can be used at any dealership or independent.

So, have I had a good CarMax experience over the years and do I recommend you give them a chance, you bet. I'm not defending them nor am I affiliated with them (I'm Fed employee) but I do respect their product and their prices are always reasonable. They don't price gouge nor do that take into consideration current market pricing trends and hype. They just sell a good product at market value and stand behind it.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually bought my wife's car at CarMax...separate story. The thing with CarMax is that you can sell your car to them outright. There is no obligation to buy a vehicle from them in return for their purchase of yours. This is where the dumping of cars comes in. Take for example the spun camshaft issue on these 997.1 cars. You can have a legit known spun camshaft, clear the code prior to driving into carmax lot and get it appraised and sold, all before the 10-15miles of driving that might be required to retrigger that CEL.

CarMax is not hooking this up to a Porsche computer or even a durametric. This is just an example, but there are gremlins that take Porsche dealers hours to find, that I doubt CarMax ever would within a 30min appraisal.

Originally Posted by vbb
I have never purchased a vehicle from CarMax and I am not affiliated with the company at all, but why do people say this about them? I mean, what risks exist by purchasing a car from CarMax that don't exist if you purchased a used vehicle from anywhere else other than a CPO vehicle from the dealership for that particular brand? If I find a nice 911 Turbo at a Mercedes dealership, how do I know that the prior owner didn't just dump it there?

I am seriously trying to understand why CarMax has a reputation for being a problem vehicle Dumping Ground as opposed to any other dealership. People frequently trade in cars before major service is due, or that have problems. And all dealerships, even CarMax, at least make an effort to check out the car for any problems before putting a price on it for trade.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I've purchased at least six cars from CarMax (Porsche, MB AMG's, BMW's etc.) in the past and never had a problem with any of them. Granted they are a volume dealer and price their cars accordingly. They also have a very well trained staff of appraisers who can spot almost any defect in a vehicle. I know, I bought a 2011 BMW 135i M-sport 6MT from a dealer who swore to me the car was perfect with a clean Carfax, and it looked that way to me too. And I'm very critical. When I traded it in at my local CarMax they immediately noticed the car had been in a minor accident and the passenger door had been repaired and repainted at a dealership. The quality of the repair was excellent and unnoticeable to anyone except their expert.

That said, they don't sell junk and if there's an after sale problem it's usually handled very professionally. When it comes to Porsche's and other performance cars CarMax will almost always send them to the dealer for repairs because their maintenance staff may not trained or qualified to work on them. That's why I buy their extended warranty which is one of the best and least expensive (e.g., compared to Fidelity) in the industry and can be used at any dealership or independent.

So, have I had a good CarMax experience over the years and do I recommend you give them a chance, you bet. I'm not defending them nor am I affiliated with them (I'm Fed employee) but I do respect their product and their prices are always reasonable. They don't price gouge nor do that take into consideration current market pricing trends and hype. They just sell a good product at market value and stand behind it.
pretty much. i took the wife's 2011 explorer in there a few years back. nice condition car with maybe 35k on the clock. i thinkit blue booked at 29k as trade in . they examined the heck outta that car , they definitely did their homework on how to value a car , and they came back to me saying they werent interested in buying it. i said that's weird, the chevy dealership where i bought my wife's Tahoe offered me $26k , , i just wanted to see if they would pay more before i traded it in. guy said, we saw marks on the frame , indicating it was in some sort of collision and the front sub frame was most likely replaced. i said yes , my wife had been in a wreck a while back , insurance covered it, but i didn't know what exactly was repaired or replaced. they said, well we can offer you $17k if you rally need to sell it, but other than that no thanks. i went back to chevy and they gave me the agreed upon price and never looked at it. so in closing, they definitely have a good practice of vehicle inspection, well at least pretty thorough . i wouldn't be all to scared of buying a vehicle from them .
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 AM
TurnOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all carmax's have such great appraisers. But as long as you have your own PPI you're covered with their buyback, no?

I'm sure some people dump problem cars without buying a 'new' car like required at a normal dealer.

I love their business model and sometimes it makes sense to buy from them.

Quick Reply: 09 TT Coupe 6MT at Carmax