997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 TT Coupe 6MT at Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017 | 10:49 PM
Kyle John Ijichi
Intermediate

Related: there's a black Manual 07 TT that's been up and down on Carmax's site for months. I originally tried to reserve it and get it shipped to CA but they removed it due to mechanical issues. See email below:

"It pains me to tell you that this vehicle was transferred here for some customers and on their test drive the vehicle did not perform as it should have. We do not know what the issue is, but we have our best mechanics on the job. Unfortunately, when I went to ask more questions I was just told that the vehicle needs some mechanical work and there is no ETA as to when the vehicle will be available. I'm so sorry."
Old 01-13-2017 | 12:10 AM
mrmandmman
Racer

That the one with a couple failed emissions inspections?
Old 01-14-2017 | 09:14 PM
errdock
7th Gear

Default Best 997.1 year

2009 997.1 with Sport Chrono and 6 speed manual is definitely a great year- last year for the bulletproof Mezger motor- also appeared to have Bluetooth phone connectivity so some great options !
Old 02-02-2017 | 06:09 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

A lot was posted about this car on Rennlist, so I thought I'd give you guys an update. I'm happy to say that I bought this car and it has surpassed all of my expectations! I rarely post on here, but thought many of you would find this interesting, and yes - a fellow Rennlister ended up with it! I found it via this thread (by way of another Rennlister emailing me about it). This was my first experience with CarMax, and it was a positive one.

- Someone in Irvine initially reserved the car after it was posted on Rennlist. CarMax allows cars to be shipped for free to any other CarMax within 100 miles or so and all you have to do for that is register on their site. It seems like they will hold the reservation for a week, and then it’s back in the rotation again if unsold. So it went down to Irvine and for whatever reason, was not sold. I reserved it right away and had it shipped yet again to San Diego, so another week passed

- The car has a couple of minor cosmetic issues; some chips in front from stones and what looks like a garage (drywall) contact against the back right fender. All of the issues can be addressed by my local shop for a reasonable price (approx. $1000).

- The interior was pristine, except for scratches on the plastic trim around the hand brake and driver side window controls. OEM replacement parts for these total $800, and I’m considering upgrading to Carbon Fiber instead.

- Mechanically it checked out perfectly during my PPI. The DME results reflected nothing above range 3, and only 32 ignitions in range 3. Even the P-Zero’s were close to brand new. Rear brake pads are close to replacement; that was the only “hit”.

- CarFax showed the car spending all of its known life in San Antonio, so I called Porsche of San Antonio to see if they knew the car. A very lovely lady in the service department remembered the car and owner who did all of the car’s maintenance at the dealer (even the new tires). She could not share names or written details but verbally she gave me the entire car’s history which reflected the 45k major service done by them at 43k and change (at CarMax it had 44k and change). Anyone in the San Antonio area should be aware of how great this dealer’s service department is. She had no opportunity to make money on that phone call and yet she spent 10 minutes on with me being as helpful as she could. I hope I can do business with that dealer some day to reward that.

- The last step was removing the annoying CarMax stickers from the rear. Each letter and dash is an independent sticker – my only knock on the CarMax experience. it took me about 30 minutes with a hair dryer, rubbing alcohol, and an old ID card to get it off. The car was detailed later that day and looks incredible.

All told, I feel pretty good about the price even with the minor cosmetic issues. I’ve been looking out for the right 09 997 TT for a while, and this one was in my ideal color combo (GT Silver/Black). This one’s going to live in Del Mar for a long time…
Old 02-02-2017 | 06:15 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Enjoy it in good health :-)
Old 02-02-2017 | 06:18 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2017 | 07:13 PM
550bryan
Pro

post detail pic would be appreciated. As you know 09's a rare, congrats on snagging one.
Old 02-02-2017 | 08:03 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Congrats, I've bought several cars from them and NEVER had a bad or disappointing experience. I hope you also purchased their extended warranty, it's one of the best in the industry. If not, you should consider it.
Old 02-02-2017 | 08:43 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Congrats, I've bought several cars from them and NEVER had a bad or disappointing experience. I hope you also purchased their extended warranty, it's one of the best in the industry. If not, you should consider it.
+1^
Old 02-03-2017 | 01:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnbelk
+1^
X10! Hope you got the warranty. If you use it just a couple times, it could and would easily pay for itself and it's a HUGE peace of mind on a very expensive car.

Wait a minute... is THIS the car you got?
https://www.carmax.com/car/13728897

If so, I guess we have all the pics! SWEET.
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:11 PM
NYNick
Racer

Originally Posted by 550bryan
post detail pic would be appreciated. As you know 09's a rare, congrats on snagging one.
Didn't know 09's were rare. I've got an 09 TT CAB for sale right on Rennlist!
Old 02-03-2017 | 03:11 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

Originally Posted by 550bryan
Thanks very much - I'll get some after photos - I only have a couple of before shots
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2017 | 03:15 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
X10! Hope you got the warranty. If you use it just a couple times, it could and would easily pay for itself and it's a HUGE peace of mind on a very expensive car.

Wait a minute... is THIS the car you got?
https://www.carmax.com/car/13728897

If so, I guess we have all the pics! SWEET.
That's the one!
Old 02-03-2017 | 03:16 PM
ihtfp98
Track Day

Originally Posted by NYNick
Didn't know 09's were rare. I've got an 09 TT CAB for sale right on Rennlist!
There's a few threads out there detailing the production numbers but 09 saw a major drop due to the financial crisis. Last Mezger engine, first with new PCM, minor other updates...
Old 02-03-2017 | 03:34 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Nice car and congrats.

Everyone loves the 09's here but I really don't see them holding much more value than other 997.1 besides being 1-2 years newer and likely having fewer miles. The pcm is a nonissue. It was outdated in 09 and is even more outdated now! The other updates are minor.

Quick Reply: 09 TT Coupe 6MT at Carmax