Sponsored by:

Is the Turbo a car for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I have a GT3 and a turbo.

GT3 was the track car and the turbo was the daily driver.

Both cars can run on the track. And both want a few mods to do so.

I retired the GT3 from track and is now a sunday driver.
The Turbo is still the daily driver and i would have no issue doing a track day with it a few times a year.

I really enjoy the versatility of the turbo. Hauls my kids and the mail!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:46 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triplenet

That may be one of the best looking Cabs, I've seen. The stance is perfect...JB
Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought all 911's, in any form were made for the track.

One day I will go again and see what happens. But the brutal power alone must make it a lot of fun at the track I would have thought.

I smacked a 993TT at track a few years ago, so I'm still a bit shy.

Having said that, the safety features should keep it going in the right direction?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:36 AM
Spencer Wong
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Triplenet,
​​​​​​​OP, do you own a TT already?
Nope - not yet. Budgeting around $100K for next car...so still debating how much convenience I need (backseats since I have 2 kids) or raw track performance I need (expect to do a few events a year)...Turbo seems to check both boxes...but at that price point there's also a lot of excellent 2 seat options if I go that route.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

I retired the GT3 from track and is now a sunday driver.
The Turbo is still the daily driver and i would have no issue doing a track day with it a few times a year.

I really enjoy the versatility of the turbo. Hauls my kids and the mail!
Hmm...good info from an owner of both hehe...I'm with you...those backseats are useless for adults but I do like the idea of still being able to have the kids in the car.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:45 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes, kids love Porsches...Watching Daddy ride away in a non-kid friendly Porsche can cause them to potentially have ireversible psychological issues, making them future Prius owners.

The GT3 is a phenomenal car, but take a look at how many prior owners a used version normally has... It's non-scientific, but when I was looking at GT3s, each had numerous-multiple owners (sometimes as many as 5)...again, non-scientific. However, my conclusion was as great a car they may be, living with one long-term may not be what some believed it would be. Although, my search for a GT3 and conclusion could have been completely coincidental...and mean nothing.

The fact is, I'd truly love to own one of each!!! But, since that's not possible my TTS fills most of the squares.

Good luck with your search...keep us posted!!!

"Do it for the Kids"...lol.

Cheers,
JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 11-20-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 11-20-2016, 02:30 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

!
And what were your final thoughts between the turbo and NA "engine" on the track ?

The turbo is fun on the track - I walk by a lot of cars on the straights on Sebring

Last edited by triplenet; 11-20-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Personally I'd keep the track-specific changes to a minimum and enjoy the car nearly stock at DEs(tires, brakes, etc.). If you want to spend $40k, buy something like a Spec Boxster. The low weight and excellent cheap rubber would mean you'll blast by everyone at every corner. And, importantly, if you ever smash it up: you're protected by the safety gear, the car is cheap to repair, and your TT is safe and ready for you.

YMMV, and the TT would be a lot of fun on a track day. Lots of good ways to go here.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:01 PM
racingdad
Rennlist Member

Lots of good advice here for you to consider. Best advice is to learn how to drive your car, then make good decisions on what modifications you want. Whatever your intent is make sure you have fun and stay safe.

I have spent a lot of time in the right seat in highly modified cars with drivers that did not know how to drive.

Best bang for the buck is new tires and pads. Then do it again and again......

If you really like track events then I agree with ace37 buy a track prepped Boxster and go crazy.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 PM
triplenet
Pro

My friend is building a track prepped Boxster now... TPC turbo and Meth .... Should be a 500 hp car..

I am nervous he will be lapping me at Sebring :-)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
The GT3 is a phenomenal car, but take a look at how many prior owners a used version normally has... It's non-scientific, but when I was looking at GT3s, each had numerous-multiple owners (sometimes as many as 5)...again, non-scientific.
The more you move your car to perform ideally on track, the less tolerable it is on the streets. I'd suggest caution about dumping thousands of $'s into a nice street car to make it a track weapon. Any Porsche is suitable out of the box for a few "casual" track days here and there. If you want to become a serious track rat, rather than modifying your beautiful street car, making it uncomfortable on the street (GT3 cars being sold multiple times...could be a reason?), put that $30k into a dedicated track car. Then either get a tow vehicle and trailer, or like me, have a track support company bring your car to and from the track.

I've tracked street cars (including TT's and GT3's), and for the past 5 years have enjoyed a dedicated track car, my 02 Boxster S. I'd never go back to tracking a street car.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Personally I'd keep the track-specific changes to a minimum and enjoy the car nearly stock at DEs(tires, brakes, etc.). If you want to spend $40k, buy something like a Spec Boxster. The low weight and excellent cheap rubber would mean you'll blast by everyone at every corner. And, importantly, if you ever smash it up: you're protected by the safety gear, the car is cheap to repair, and your TT is safe and ready for you. YMMV, and the TT would be a lot of fun on a track day. Lots of good ways to go here.
Great advise. I didn't read this before posting my similar response.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triplenet
And what were your final thoughts between the turbo and NA "engine" on the track ?

The turbo is fun on the track - I walk by a lot of cars on the straights on Sebring
My thoughts on the two engines are that they are both so very different for being almost the same design. They both have pros and cons but i love them both.

The Turbo is such a ***** cat around town. Quiet. Easy to drive slow thanks to the torque. But then when you stand on it, the car springs into action! Point it straight and shoot! Better have good tires and traction control on if it is wet!
On the track i find the high RPM range runs out of breathe too early when comparec to the GT3, but it delivers so much speed before then that it dosnt really matter. Effortless speed. Quite the animal when set up correctly for track.

The GT3 engine is really something however. It requires almost too much RPM to drive around on the street. But in the sweet spot above 4000RPM it makes such strong linear power that it is almost worth the chitty slow speed torque. It is violent and a screamer when you stand on it. A hammer. Such a sweet song too! It is really rewarding on the track as it lives in high RPM and has lots of breathe to redline. Feels just like a race car motor.

The future is turbo. But there is something about a normally aspirated GT3 motor that will be missed.
The power delivery is almost perfectly smooth vs. the turbo being abrupt. Again, Linear.

Just as the Aircooled motor is missed, so will the normally aspirated GT3 motor.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 11-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:38 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Thumbs up Better track car than I am a race car driver

Originally Posted by Fishey
At our Local Track Mid-Ohio 997 Cup cars usually run a low 1:27 (No Chicane) for Pole and 1:30 for Mid-Pack. Our Customers 997 Turbo runs a 1:30(no Chicane) or 1:32 (Chicane) with the Traction Control Enabled and his driver skill is not up to racing yet but he is improving every event!. The car would run a 1:25 properly driven and 1:27 with chicane. This 997 Turbo is a Full Interior Street car or 3500+lbs, with the following modifications.

Welded Coolant Pipes
Sharkwerks Coolant Pipes
Tial Alpha Xona Turbochargers
Protomotive Intake Pipes, Exhaust, Tune, Y-Pipe
Meth Injection (only above 9psi) usually a tank a DE day.
clutch
single mass flywheel
Moton Club Sport
Tarett Endlinks
Elephant Racing LCA
Factory Swaybars (Soon to be H&R)
Gyro Rotor 2Pc Rotors (slotted)
Hawk Black Pads
Forgeline GA1R Wheels
Pirelli Slicks
Werks 1 Front Splitter/Wing
After a series of RS Audi's, Merc AMG's Jaguar XFR and Range Rovers for the winter I finally bought a proper sports car a year a ago - an ETG tuned 08 911 TT. I owned it for about 6 months before taking it to mid ohio (not the best track for a heavy turbo - my very first track day since getting my license 16 years ago. Im sure in time i could push it past its limits but I couldn't get close. 3rd lap I put up a 1:28. The only car I couldn't keep pace with in my heat was an instructor in a GT4. No track experience, lots of high speed road driving and a decade of super saloon''s and SC Range Rovers and I couldnt believe I drove it there, inflated tires, and took second place in my heat. It was heavy in the corners but the exit and straightaway speed closed any gap with more nimble cars. Then i drove it home an hour later to Cincinnati.Granted the course built 911's, Vipers and R8's would have smoked me but I had a blast and the car was a champion. If I had more money and skill Id love to get a dedicated gt3 but Im 32 with a 1700 HP 3 car garage already and the wife has said anything else comes in something has to go. The 911TT would be the last id let get. For the above average driver who will be taking themselves home 2-3 times a year from the track I cant think of anything else I would rather own. I beat my personal goal by 10s and attribute this 95% to the car. When your starting out in the DE classes you will get frustrated - passes must be waived on and a 600 HP 600TQ 911TT often left me stuck behind much slower cars OR blowing past 6 cars on the straight to slam on the brakes to make the next corner. Brakes never faded but i only made 3 4 lap runs. I was looking at R8, Vantages, and a used 360 before I bought my Porsche and all i can say is for my limited abilities it has been the perfect car to own. Tame on the street, contender on the track, and Ive had it up around 175mph on 71N when late for business meetings which felt like going 130 in my Merc. Ive bought 10 cars in the 10 years since I graduated college and this is one I WILL NEVER SELL. 0 issues, my wife likes to drive it, my daughter will ride in the back and I love it gets respect at car shows but not overt attention. Buy it, use it however your want and if my impressions are wrong Ill buy it off you and sell someday for a used GT4 if I get into track days. As someone who once thought these were "boring" looking super cars if not clear I have officially drank the p car koolaide.
12 months without a single visit to ebay motors or autotrader which was my hourly morning warm up for years. Buy it and treat yourself to a second for making such a great decision.
The following users liked this post:
Skrizzo (03-27-2023)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbeck84
12 months without a single visit to ebay motors or autotrader which was my hourly morning warm up for years. Buy it and treat yourself to a second for making such a great decision.
The 911TT is indeed a great little package.
Does everything. Practical supercar.
I too feel no need to replace it.

It dosnt have the screaming R8/Lambo "I won the lotto" body which is refreshing and is perhaps more reserved for those who appricate driving more then peacocking.

Some folks complain that the 997 and even the 991 interior are not up to that of the R8 and other GT cars.
However, if you are a true driver you care less about fluff and are more in tune to the driving feel which the 911 gives you. Thats what is important and hard to replicate.

The only thing I will replace my manual 08TT with in time would be a 997.2TTS for the PDK. I live in a busy city and rowing the gears can get old at times.

I have considered a 2014TTS, but im not sure how I would like the larger body?
It sure looks to be another great all round 911.

I currently love how small my 997 feels compared to other cars.
Then again, i own and love small air-cooled porsches so im perhaps a little biased.
The following users liked this post:
porsche_fan (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Is the Turbo a car for the track?