997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Turbo a car for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016 | 01:00 AM
Spencer Wong
6th Gear

Default Is the Turbo a car for the track?

A 997 Turbo is something I'm considering when the time comes. I've got 2 little ones and although the family car will be an SUV, I think the backseats could come in handy which is the only reason I may get a Turbo over something like an R8, GT4 or GT3...

I'm coming from an E90M3 which I take a few times a season (nothing hardcore just intermediate group type stuff). M3 was pretty fun and I actually never saw a Turbo in my 7-8 track days, so I'm wondering if there's any reason? I would already sh*t bricks just thinking if I crashed the M3 so that's the only hesitation I have taking an even more expensive car to the track. Anyways, would love to many Turbo owners go tracking with it.
Old 11-17-2016 | 08:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Can you use it on the track? Sure. Does it make the best track car? Not in my opinion.

Its a heavy car with a pretty cushy suspension. Sport mode rectifies the cushiness but is just not very absorbent of things like mid corner bumps. Its got plenty of power and good mechanical grip though. It will push at the limit like most factory 911s.

There are also concerns with the coolant tubes.

With a few mods, it become substantially better on the track. That said, if you want a dual use vehicle, I'd throw a DSC box on it, buy some better track pads, and a set of wheels with NT01s or similar and then you'd be able to have a good time street or track.
Old 11-17-2016 | 09:13 AM
triplenet
Pro

I run my Cab at Sebring .... Lots of mods required to make a TT a quality track car...

LSD, Clutch, Brakes, DSC, Suspension, roll bar, seats - etc... All of which I have done ...

That said, would rather have a lighter - NA engine out there....

Last edited by triplenet; 11-17-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2016 | 09:19 AM
white rock
Instructor

I take mine all the time, pass GT3's frequently. Great track car, even though a little heavy, the power makes up for it. Need a proper alignment and suspension though.
Old 11-17-2016 | 10:03 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

It takes some effort, but TT can be a really nice track car for less money than GT3. Check out my 2008 Turbo for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...under-cpo.html
Old 11-18-2016 | 12:41 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

You can make it work as an occasional track car but that's about it. It will take a few bucks but it will hold its own out there.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 11-18-2016 | 12:42 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triplenet
I run my Cab at Sebring .... Lots of mods required to make a TT a quality track car...

LSD, Clutch, Brakes, DSC, Suspension, roll bar, seats - etc... All of which I have done ...

That said, would rather have a lighter - NA engine out there....
Can you provide some details on the LSD?
Old 11-18-2016 | 09:24 AM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by eurotom
Can you provide some details on the LSD?
http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com/...differentials/

I run around 6 track events a year ..... The Turbo is "great" for DE events ...

If OP wants a "track" car - there are way better alternatives for sure ..
Old 11-18-2016 | 12:56 PM
johnbelk
Pro

The only advice I can provide is for the OP to seriously consider suplemental insurance if the car is taken to the track. It's my understanding that there are insurance companies that will not cover damages, even if the car happens to be parked inside the track compound. Ouch!

There are a number of suplemental insurance companies available. Below is just one...I'm not afliliated. Seems to be worth the piece of mind, considering the cost of repairs an individual could incur. JB

https://ontrackinsurance.com/
Old 11-18-2016 | 12:59 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triplenet
http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com/...differentials/

I run around 6 track events a year ..... The Turbo is "great" for DE events ...

If OP wants a "track" car - there are way better alternatives for sure ..

Did you have an LSD prior? Either way what was the your configuration, clutch stack, ramps and lock up rates?
Old 11-18-2016 | 01:41 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by eurotom
Did you have an LSD prior? Either way what was the your configuration, clutch stack, ramps and lock up rates?
No LSD prior.... I am not that knowledgable on the mechanical info but will ask my wrench ..... 40/60 lock I believe

What I can say as a driver - with the traction control off - it really transformed the car on the track ... decelerates hard in straight line and can get on the power quickly in the turns ..
Old 11-18-2016 | 04:24 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

^appreciate the feedback
Old 11-18-2016 | 05:24 PM
turbofever
Banned

is a heavy car, the brakes get very very hot quickly.

its a very capable track car although I found it far easier to drive my c2s on the track.

the lighter GT cars make better track cars obviously.
Old 11-18-2016 | 06:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

It's heavier than a GT3 or a Cayman for sure, but is lighter than or equivalent to many modern cars that get a bit of track time, like an M3 or Z06 Corvette.

It's a great car for the occasional track day visitor. I take mine about 6-7 times per year, and love it. Aside from that it gets driven on 1000's of km of B roads each year, along with some holiday touring with a passenger, and sometimes to a local cafe for lunch. IMO as a single car to do all of the above it's hard to beat.
Old 11-18-2016 | 09:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Well, unless your running a race class the Turbo (996/997.1) is the best track/DE car Porsche has made with some small modification and they can easily be fast, very very fast.

Quick Reply: Is the Turbo a car for the track?