Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB owners... what's the hype about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:52 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PCCB owners... what's the hype about?

I have a 997.1 Turbo that does not have the PCCBs. I've never driven any Porsche with them. Obviously the only way to really know is to experience it first hand, but I'm curious as to what makes this option so desirable? The hardcore track guys don't tend to want them because of costs, but it seems like the additional stopping power and dissipation of heat are features that you'd have to actually be on a track to really appreciate. Seems like a catch 22. So for all of those of you out there with PCCBs that only drive your TTs on the street, what is it you like about this option? Honestly, from where I sit, the biggest two things seem to be 1.) resistance to brake dust, and 2.) the fact that the yellow calipers are known as "special" in the P community. 1.) is a thing... I'd like to have lower brake dust, but it isn't that huge of a deal, but 2.) I really am not worried about at all.

I do a lot of browsing of the FS forums not because I'm actively shopping, but just because it's almost like a fun pastime, and inevitably when someone posts up what I think is a well optioned car, someone will chime in "would be perfect if it had the PCCBs." I never appreciated how important an option that was to people, so my question is why?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:04 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Hand of God stopping power. I've had big reds on 3 996tt's and the difference isn't even close... and that's a lighter car. I'll never go back to big reds again. According to the track guys, the only thing better than PCCB is more aggressive pads on iron rotors after you toast your carbon rotors.

It's gotten to be a deal breaker for me and I'm totally spoiled. Since the wife told me my next supercar will be my kids' college tuition, I'm glad I have them now.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Hand of God stopping power. I've had big reds on 3 996tt's and the difference isn't even close... and that's a lighter car. I'll never go back to big reds again. According to the track guys, the only thing better than PCCB is more aggressive pads on iron rotors after you toast your carbon rotors.

It's gotten to be a deal breaker for me and I'm totally spoiled. Since the wife told me my next supercar will be my kids' college tuition, I'm glad I have them now.
Not trying to start a debate, but how often do you need that level of stopping power over what the "big reds" can provide? Porsche has always been known for the quality of their brakes, even without stepping up to PCCBs. I'd imagine the normal 350mm 6 piston brakes that the non PCCB cars come with are more than adequate to anything one might be able to do on the street. Then again, I guess 480hp is more than adequate for anything as well, yet many of us are searching for more power. So if it's just a matter of having the best available thing, I can understand that I suppose.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Is it "hand of God" in regular street driving, or more about during/after hot laps in a track environment? Like vbb said, I'd think you get to a point of steeply diminishing returns when you're at Porsche level braking, even on irons, unless you're really running hard on a track.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 180 Posts

Drive one and you'd understand... I had a Corvette I THOUGHT had good brakes on it, until I got my TTS with PCCB's. OMG does it stop. Linear and predictable is my thoughts on them. Worth every penny they cost.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I have a 997.1 Turbo that does not have the PCCBs. I've never driven any Porsche with them. Obviously the only way to really know is to experience it first hand, but I'm curious as to what makes this option so desirable? The hardcore track guys don't tend to want them because of costs, but it seems like the additional stopping power and dissipation of heat are features that you'd have to actually be on a track to really appreciate. Seems like a catch 22. So for all of those of you out there with PCCBs that only drive your TTs on the street, what is it you like about this option? Honestly, from where I sit, the biggest two things seem to be 1.) resistance to brake dust, and 2.) the fact that the yellow calipers are known as "special" in the P community. 1.) is a thing... I'd like to have lower brake dust, but it isn't that huge of a deal, but 2.) I really am not worried about at all.

I do a lot of browsing of the FS forums not because I'm actively shopping, but just because it's almost like a fun pastime, and inevitably when someone posts up what I think is a well optioned car, someone will chime in "would be perfect if it had the PCCBs." I never appreciated how important an option that was to people, so my question is why?
Never owned a Porsche with PCCB's but I'm hoping my next Porsche has these.

Brake wear life should be very very good. 'course, I just got over 120K miles out of the front iron discs and pads of my 2003 Turbo and the rears are just fine. Since then the car has reached over 147K miles and the rear discs and pads are holding up well.

My Porsche techs tell me with my usage PCCB's could very well last the life of the car.

There is another benefit and that is their lighter weight. Less mass to spin up or slow down which makes the car more responsive. Just what you want in a sports car.

Lower weight means the suspension can better control the wheel/tire so the tire remains in contact with the pavement better. Just what you want in a sports car.

Some of the problem with PCCB's on the track is I believe what happens is with iron brakes the driver detects brake fade and either backs off a while or comes in.

But with PCCB's there is no fade so the driver keeps going and going and going. The brakes get overheated and this hastens their demise. The brakes get blamed but the fault is with the driver.

Also, there are good track drivers and well, not so good track drivers. The not so good ones brake early and longer and in other ways misuse the brakes and the braking temperatures go up. While the PCCB's are better at dealing with heat they are not impervious to its effects if the temperature gets too high and for too long.

There is yet another risk to PCCB's. Damage. Damage from improper servicing. I've watched the techs at the dealer a number of times and with PCCB equipped cars whenever the wheels come off the tech always uses 2 (not one but 2) rods threaded into the lug bolt holes of a hub so when the wheel comes loose from the hub it doesn't fall down on the brake rotor and chip the rotor.

And damage from something getting between the rotor and the splash shield or even caught in between the pad and the rotor.

Twice now with my Boxster and its iron brakes I've had this happen. First time was a twig that got caught. The road was littered with stuff from the aftereffects of an ice storm.

Backing up the car and turning the wheels lock to lock dislodedged the twig. Had the car been equipped with PCCB's I probably would have as soon as I realized what happened had to stop the car and remove this manually.

Another time what proved to be a small rock got caught between the disc and the splash shield. I used the same technique as before with no success. And while trying to dislode the stone the noise was horrible. I had to jack up the car and remove the wheel and gently pry the splash shield away from the disc a bit and a small pyramid shaped rock smaller than a pea fell out.

Had the brakes been PCCB's I don't think I would have had much time to recognize something was caught before possibly serious damage would have been done to the brake disc.

But the risks are small and I'm wiling to accept for the other benefits of PCCB's so I'm not worried.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I have PCCBs on my 997.1 turbo, and I love them. I certainly love the look of the big yellow calipers, but I like the red calipers too. For me, the reasons to have PCCBs on a street car are:

1. Minimal wear. At 47K miles, my pads are rotors are showing virtually no appreciable wear.
2. No brake dust. As you mentioned, this is a very nice thing. It's not a "deal breaker", but it is sure nice.
3. Lighter weight than steel rotors. Can I tell the difference? No. But I like the idea of shaving off a few pounds if I can.
4. Stopping performance. On the street, I don't have a need for the same kind of stopping power that I would use on a track. That being said, the PCCBs have more initial bite than the big reds did on my 996. They feel like the brake better, with more consistency. It may just be psychological; it's hard to say. I feel that these are the best brakes that I've ever had.

Would I have purchased my car if it was identical to the way it is now, but without PCCBs? Yes. Am I happy that I have PCCBs? Yes. Will I seek out this option on future Porsches (or other marques)? Yes.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 AM
vbb
Pro

It's just that I've never been going fast enough to the point where I felt I couldn't stop in a 911, nor have I experienced hair-raising levels of brake fade that left me without confidence. I would have always assumed that you'd either need to be on a track to find the limits of what the normal brakes can do, or doing a heck of a hard canyon or mountain run where you're going through downhill turns. Since I don't track and I don't live near mountains, I can't imagine when I would ever use something like PCCBs. And the track guys don't want them. I always viewed them as an option that the "box checkers" wanted who were concerned with ordering the highest optioned Porsche they could get, but that nobody really used. That said, I'm also willing to admit when I'm wrong, and am generally curious about why so many seem to say "it'd be perfect if it had the PCCBs!"

edit: forgot about the lighter weight... I can understand that too.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I think that track guys would want PCCBs if they had the racing budget of an F1 team!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 AM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a TT with both the big reds & the PCCBS and hands down the PCCBs are worth every penny. My first TT had the big reds and when I got my current TT my opinion became that the PCCBs make the car stop like I imagined it should. The big reds feel like marshmallows when I step on the brake now. I don't think I'd ever buy another Porsche without the PCCBs.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
vbb
Pro

Three (or is it four) people with PCCBs have already chimed in saying they're worth every penny. Now I'm even more curious. I need to find a car with them equipped and experience this for myself! Or maybe I shouldn't, because I don't want to build in a reason to dislike my car, haha.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:08 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Three (or is it four) people with PCCBs have already chimed in saying they're worth every penny. Now I'm even more curious. I need to find a car with them equipped and experience this for myself! Or maybe I shouldn't, because I don't want to build in a reason to dislike my car, haha.
Last fall I bought a 996tt Cab as a daily driver. I could never get over how much worse the braking was compared to my 997tt with PCCB's. It really is that big of a difference.

The wife put her foot down finally on two 911 turbos (our school situation changed and I had to transport kids everyday), so I bought an Audi S7 a couple months ago. It has iron brakes and my first thought was to see what brake upgrades are out there... it really does spoil you!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Yellow calipers
Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had them on my RS and love them and not to mention the reduce amount of brake dust is close to zero.

i swear at myself each time i have to wash my car on steel rotors especially BMW which has very soft pads.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:25 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Last fall I bought a 996tt Cab as a daily driver. I could never get over how much worse the braking was compared to my 997tt with PCCB's. It really is that big of a difference.

The wife put her foot down finally on two 911 turbos (our school situation changed and I had to transport kids everyday), so I bought an Audi S7 a couple months ago. It has iron brakes and my first thought was to see what brake upgrades are out there... it really does spoil you!
You're comparing 4 pot 330mm to 6 pot 350mm. My 996tt has 6 pot 350mm GT3 (steel) brakes- difference to stock 4 pot "big" reds is tremendous.

Quick Reply: PCCB owners... what's the hype about?