Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB owners... what's the hype about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, to that point, I'm looking at trying to compare apples to apples. PCCBs on a 997 vs. non-PCCBs on a 996 is not surprising as to why there are differences. The 997 Turbo non-PCCB brakes are pretty robust. Hard to imagine so much more stopping power that PCCBs would be a must have, but I'm always sort-of shopping for the next car even if I don't have any intention on buying, and from what I'm reading, PCCBs need to be on the list.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:45 PM
cmo5
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I previously had a 997.2 C4S with steel rotors, and my current 997.2 TTS has PCCB's.

I am in the crowd that feels they are worth every penny, and I would never buy another Porsche without them.

I think the main difference in feel in street driving (I don't track my TT at all) is the initial bite--the PCCB's just have instant grip which is very confidence inspiring. You really should try to drive one to see.

Are they necessary for the street? Of course not. But, in the same sense, in no way is a 911 Turbo "necessary" compared to some other more generic sports car, yet we all seem to have one here lol...

Also, as someone who likes to keep his wheels clean but doesn't particularly like scrubbing brake dust out of every nook and cranny, I have found the benefit of essentially zero brake dust to be worth the price of admission alone. The wheels always look clean, and at most need a quick power wash to get them back to spotless.

Chris
Old 09-09-2016, 02:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
You're comparing 4 pot 330mm to 6 pot 350mm. My 996tt has 6 pot 350mm GT3 (steel) brakes- difference to stock 4 pot "big" reds is tremendous.
Had I kept my 996tt that's the route I was pursuing.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Going from 4 pot 330mm brakes on the 996 to 6 pot 380mm PCCB is an even bigger difference.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

If your going to track your car a bunch I would stay away from PCCB's. Unless of course you have deep pockets.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

This topic might be an interesting read for you :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-question.html

I have owned 3 997TT's, first with, second without and last again with PCCB.
When you own these cars for a longer period you feel the hype is justified. I didn't or couldn't understand it either until I had my second one.

At first I did not miss them at all and thought all was well. It was a low mile, almost brand new car but the more I got used to the car the more I felt there was something missing in the handling department, it also felt a little harsher. It just never felt the same as my first car.

It wasn't until I got my 3rd TT that I realized it must have been because of the lighter unsprung weight because the lighter footed, more pleasant car that I experienced was back.

Initial 'bite' is also nice, no dust is also nice but for me the biggest plus is the weight saving!

PCCB's are a must but I would not let the perfect car go if it didn't have them as it's easy enough to add. 'Must' in the sense if you are already going for the best (a turbo) why not go for the best brakes too ??

Disclaimer : I do not track my car. Purely street driven !
Old 09-09-2016, 04:58 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

my first 997 C2S has red calipers and I hate the rusty splatters after car wash on my clean wheels, then brake dust just driving me crazy. My current 997TT has PCCB and OMG that stoppping power is incredible, not just because it stop well but it feel confident but gentle, it's hard for me to describe the feeling of PCCB compare to steel rotors. All I can say is I will never buy another 911 without PCCB.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

93K miles since new on first and only set of rotors. Every service, tech says no wear to measure.
Replaced front pads at 75K, worn 50%, just did as RL brain trust recommended.

On my 993, replaced rotors every 40K miles. Those few who have been on twisties and mountain road trips with me know I waste no time getting from A to B. So financially might be a wash, but will have to get to the end of a PCCB rotor life to know for sure.

Only downside to PCCBs is when wet, you have to tap them occasionally, or when you need them they will not be there. Scary first time when you don't expect it.

While initial bite is great, I have not seen a single test that shows any shorter stops.

Drove my Son's TT with red brakes, and mine back to back. Greatest difference I noted was unsprung weight, especially turn in.

I may have washed my wheels 6 times in 93K miles.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
93K miles since new on first and only set of rotors. Every service, tech says no wear to measure.
Replaced front pads at 75K, worn 50%, just did as RL brain trust recommended.

On my 993, replaced rotors every 40K miles. Those few who have been on twisties and mountain road trips with me know I waste no time getting from A to B. So financially might be a wash, but will have to get to the end of a PCCB rotor life to know for sure.

Only downside to PCCBs is when wet, you have to tap them occasionally, or when you need them they will not be there. Scary first time when you don't expect it.

While initial bite is great, I have not seen a single test that shows any shorter stops.

Drove my Son's TT with red brakes, and mine back to back. Greatest difference I noted was unsprung weight, especially turn in.

So replacing pads on existing rotor is ok on PCCBs?

How can you not love these things, just look at them! Standard issue on TTS

Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

So I had a 96 993 C4S for 13 years before my current car. I was told "with the centerlock wheels which are SO HARD to clean as it's tough to get your hands in between the spokes or even a cleaning tool, you DEFINITELY want the PCCB's".

I though, OK, I will only get a car with them on it. It turned out that what I wanted, a Turbo S, only came with PCCB's anyway so it worked out that I got them. And yes, "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".

Just drive 2 cars back to back. One with and one without. You will most likely want them on your car. I love that I can drive for a week or 2 and hardly any brake dust gets on the wheels. It's like magic. I've had tons of ceramic brake pads before on BMW's and other cars but nothing is dust free like these.

And the stopping power is simply refrickulous. I LOVE THEM like people love their pets.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

On the street i barely need to touch the pedal..they never get hot from street driving. The best part for me is having 0 dust.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:52 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just transitioned from a street use 09 TT w/out PCCBs to a 12 TTS with the ceramics, I'm not sure I've pushed either 997 varrent to their braking limits. For those of you that say you have on the street; you either have huge *****, lies and/or maybe both. I would agree that subjectively, each has a different feel, e.g., my TTS with PCCBs feels more linear. That does not mean the braking performance is better in the TTS, at least not at the levels I'm using them. Maybe pushed harder I would be able to provide an objective comment. I can say both the TT and TTS brakes are better than the 15 Stingray, Z-51 I owned, especially with respect to modulating the brake pressure. However, that should not be a surprise to any of you. You do get what you pay for is true..

To Terry Adams above point... 100% agree, during wet conditions, tap those PCCBs! Last week heading to NC, I was caught in my first rain shower...to my surprise when I first applied the brakes..."nothing" for just a little over a second or two. Slightly un-nerving...but now I know.

The zero to little brake dust is a bonus...

JB
Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Several comparison tests of PCCB and Iron have been done over the years by reputable car magazines.
Iron brakes are as good as PCCB's, initial bite may give you the impression they brake better but going from 100 to zero is virtually identical. I remember one test where the irons stopped a fraction sooner.

In my previous post I mentioned unsprung weight as the big advantage for me but I would like to add I also like the look of the disc and hat a lot, looks very 'technical' compared to the plain-jane iron disc.

Originally Posted by johnbelk
For those of you that say you have on the street; you either have huge *****, lies and/or maybe both.
Where did anyone say that ?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I was on a mountain twisties run with some very nimble 993 buds, up and down Mt. Palomar.

Boiled my brake fluid half way down.

TT is 400 lbs heavier than a 993 in slow turns, at a disadvantage. So yes, have to push it.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:12 AM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my TT with 28,000 miles and the PCCB discs were on their limit. Previous owner must have driven everywhere with the handbrake on!

Initial bite is great! No brake dust is a nice bonus.... I am very happy with mine (apart from them
being worn out by the previous owner at 28k miles!)

Quick Reply: PCCB owners... what's the hype about?