Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 hours of polishing a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, it really is very therapeutic. If there's anyone in the SF Bay Area that wants this done, PM me, I would love to do it.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benihana242
Nice work, it really is very therapeutic. If there's anyone in the SF Bay Area that wants this done, PM me, I would love to do it.
It's quite the opposite. I feel like i need therapy after my 10 hours... But the feeling of seeing your spotless car after all back aches have healed, priceless!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 PM
floridaBMW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely agree, the process can be very satisfying and often provide a better than expected result. Its a great payoff.

One important aspect I've learned is, take my time! No need "rush" to complete in 1 day or even 1 weekend. I decided to break up my current detail into small jobs starting from 1st weekend which was a wash and clay. I worked on the interior the following weekend and this last weekend was my 1st step of polishing. I plan on removing wheels next and getting them perfect, if I feel like it I'll work on my next step for the paint. Point is, no hurry and try to enjoy the entire process. I have found that its much more rewarding and doesn't feel like work so much...
Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Originally Posted by anonymoususer
It's quite the opposite. I feel like i need therapy after my 10 hours... But the feeling of seeing your spotless car after all back aches have healed, priceless!
Totally. I guess I would call it a labor of love. Luckily the 911's are relatively small. SUV's are the real headaches!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Originally Posted by floridaBMW
I absolutely agree, the process can be very satisfying and often provide a better than expected result. Its a great payoff.

One important aspect I've learned is, take my time! No need "rush" to complete in 1 day or even 1 weekend. I decided to break up my current detail into small jobs starting from 1st weekend which was a wash and clay. I worked on the interior the following weekend and this last weekend was my 1st step of polishing. I plan on removing wheels next and getting them perfect, if I feel like it I'll work on my next step for the paint. Point is, no hurry and try to enjoy the entire process. I have found that its much more rewarding and doesn't feel like work so much...
This is great advice. I've done the "one-panel at a time" before too. It's funny when you have a corrected hood, but nothing else.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Totally. I guess I would call it a labor of love. Luckily the 911's are relatively small. SUV's are the real headaches!
Tell me about it! My Cayenne was a pain in the "you know what". It was even involved in two collisions WHILE PARKED, both times fixed at different body shops. So that meant three different types of paint to deal with when polishing, one refinished section was super hard, another section marred really easily, etc. I'm assuming due to different brands of clear and different portions of hardener.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM
floridaBMW
Instructor

This is great advice. I've done the "one-panel at a time" before too. It's funny when you have a corrected hood, but nothing else.
Lol yea for sure, I cover the car if not being used. The Porsche cover is cool, nice big badge to look at.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish my Basalt looked like yours! I buy all the expensive stuff and bury myself in my garage. It's fun for the first, ooooh, 15 minutes and then it gets too hard.

What I need to do is buy some proper gear, but unlike you guys, we can go down to the local store and buy these things.

Paint correction is something I'd like to try properly one day.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:39 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the stuff is easy to find.. just go to automotive paint store and the sell pretty much everything you need besides the da orbital. u can buy that online and just get the pads from the paint store and cut them down to size. definitely easier when u got the right tools.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:51 PM
floridaBMW
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I wish my Basalt looked like yours! I buy all the expensive stuff and bury myself in my garage. It's fun for the first, ooooh, 15 minutes and then it gets too hard.

What I need to do is buy some proper gear, but unlike you guys, we can go down to the local store and buy these things.

Paint correction is something I'd like to try properly one day.
Use the detail forums and YouTube to gather the necessary knowledge and what tools u will need. Autogeek.net. Autotopia I think is another, I use Autogeek. They also have an online store that sells all the orbitals, pads and polishes. It's pretty easy once u realize, machine polish is best.

Quick Reply: 50 hours of polishing a car