Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:57 PM
wilson234
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When time permits I'm going to try this mod and will post my findings.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
danspach
Instructor

I saw this thread and it seems like a great way to address the annoyance of the stock soft/power clutch for little money if not some time to do the repair. I have a 996tt (yes, I know this is the 997tt forum) and I've read it a few times and have a few questions if anyone has experience with this.

1. To the OP, (or anyone else who's done this) do you still have this solution in place? Still diggin’ it!? Any downside?

2. When you took the drive coupler out of the pump, looks like it also disables the power assist to the steering….true? or just the clutch? (seemed like everyone asking questions was focused on clutch pedal effort with no mention of steering effort)

3. If my accumulator and/or slave are leaking (I think the check valve on my slave is bad and causing fluid migration from the power steering side to the clutch side…my clutch reservoir is full…over the “max” line), does this procedure alleviate that repair? In other words, do I need to replace a faulty slave since I’m disabling the power assist?

Any color is helpful and thanks for starting the thread!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Subscribed. I hope to hear more about this.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
danspach
Instructor

Didn't hear back from the OP on this one so I jumped on the other thread on the 996 side.

In all its excruciating detail:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-pentosin.html
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by danspach
Didn't hear back from the OP on this one so I jumped on the other thread on the 996 side.

In all its excruciating detail:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-pentosin.html

Danspach, what clutch symptoms caused you to do this? Leaking, slipping, etc...?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:22 AM
danspach
Instructor

(Bear in mind, this is all for a 996 turbo but seems the systems are very similar in design if not identical.)

clutch pedal feel is the accumulator. If the pedal is stiff to depress when the engine of off but normal when running then the accumulator (whose job is is to hold hydraulic pressure) needs to be replaced.

The health of the slave itself is determined by looking at the reservoir in the frunk. If the level of the fluid in the res is high (or even leaking past the sealed cap) you have a failed check valve inside the slave itself. Only way to remedy is to replace the slave.

Most people will do both when they open the system. Both are known weak points in terms of the system. If you need to do the slave, you need to remove the accumulator to get to it. If you need to do the accumulator, you only have to remove the lines and two bolts to swap out the slave.

- Dave
Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 PM
Hyperdrv
1st Gear

The PS/Clutch Assist Reservoir can be disassembled. There are only two moving parts in the upper section of the reservoir. A small ball bearing on the output side which I suspect is merely a check valve since the spring holding it in place is very weak. On the input side, that is where Porsche has me somewhat confused. Internal to the series of pieces is a pintle, hollow with a nose cone shape and a hole in it. I can see how it moves in one direction, but not the other. The entire assembly is under pressure from a very strong spring. O rings separate the in and output fluid sides. For a science project, I drilled a small (about .020") hole from the underside of the top into the output side. Of course fluid flows through the hole back into the reservoir. It was enough flow to deactivate the clutch assist but the noise did go away. I have pictures of the entire assembly. I understand the theory but the practice design is a bit of a puzzle. I would like to know how Porsche fixed it in the new design. As to the fire issue, the whine from the two moving parts could not cause a fire. They are encapsulated metal parts. The failure of the o-rings from either the clutch return line or the PS line could leak enough to cause a fire.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin