Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:03 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Totally agree, JB. I stopped trying to rationalize my purchases a long time ago, now I just focus on getting away with them unnoticed
Old 03-08-2016, 11:32 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Totally agree, JB. I stopped trying to rationalize my purchases a long time ago, now I just focus on getting away with them unnoticed
Exactly!!!!!!

However, when it does get noticed, "Tatical Deception" is deployed...for example:
"Different exhaust, absolutely not honey, the car has always been this loud, let's take your Mom to dinner."
"New wheels??? Babe you're losing your mind, why would I buy new wheels?... hey, look those high heels you've been asking for are on sale."
"New Rear Spoiler, huh??? Sweetie the only spoiler is me spoiling you..."

Ha!!!! Complete Deniabilty!!! JB
Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have set of like new 2007 pccb rotors and pads.

Like new.

$6800.00.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Exactly!!!!!!

However, when it does get noticed, "Tatical Deception" is deployed...for example:
"Different exhaust, absolutely not honey, the car has always been this loud, let's take your Mom to dinner."
"New wheels??? Babe you're losing your mind, why would I buy new wheels?... hey, look those high heels you've been asking for are on sale."
"New Rear Spoiler, huh??? Sweetie the only spoiler is me spoiling you..."

Ha!!!! Complete Deniabilty!!! JB
Very funny! Just bought the wife a new Panamera. Just offered to buy wheels and tires in another thread. "Yes, honey, I bought some used wheels and tires, not going to buy a new car like I got you."
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
I must live in an alternate universe. Spending $15k+ to avoid spending 10 minutes once a month or so washing the wheels. Or, to look at it another way, spending an amount equal to 20% of the value of the car to avoid brake dust. Amazing. To each his own I guess!
+1

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Amigo, if you're driving a 997TT then welcome to the alternate universe where folks spend tens of thousands of dollars on their P-Cars versus another universe where selecting floor-mats with matching seat covers for a Toyota Prius is a huge deal.
True praticality left the planet the day each of us accepted the responsibility to maintain and care for these Porsches. So I get your point, it's just brake dust...but when folks are willing to drop $3500.00 to $5000.00 for an exhaust system or $7000.00 for wheels for these cars....$15,000 for the holy grail PCCBs begin to makes sense...at least in my whacky universe, where passion for my 997TT has me considering how to "invest" the next $10,000.

OP keep us posted...and go for it, you only live once and no one is guaranteed tomorrow, leave no regrets behind!!! JB
Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steel or PCCB's

- Both are capable of stopping the car in similar distance. The difference is the sensitivity, amount of pdeal pressure required and progressiveness. PCCB's are immediately sticky and progressive with the touch of a big toe. Feels more like a 200lb shifter kart than a 3100 lb car. Awesome!

- PCCB's put off very minimal brake dust and the dust they put off is not carbon black For those who wash their car not because it is dirty but because the wheels are black, PCCB's are fantastic.

- Very expensive but long life if not tracking the car. If I were tracking, I switch to steel but for street purposes, I will never own another Porsche without PCCB's.

Be careful buying used. You typically cannot tell when a rotor is spent just by looking at it. I believe proper determination is done by weight (others may know more). Also, care must be used when taking wheel off, swapping pads, or bleeding brakes. The rotors can chip and it is my understanding that they do not react well to brake fluid. Replacement rotors are not cheap.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:47 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

I have a set of front PCCB rotors in mint condition, if you know what I mean
Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 PM
skyak
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I now have 4 rotors!

Big thanks to C2 Turbo for the fronts and a friendly lady out in California for the rears. All of the rotors were originally from 997.1 turbos. As far as I know I could have used rears from a GT3, but not the fronts as the GT3 front hats have a different offset.

I am now trying to research what parts I will need to finish the job. Any suggestions appreciated...also if anybody has parts for sale please let me know.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Wow all four, lucky you

Any luck with the current calipers? Did that link I sent you, helped?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What exactly is required for a steel to PCCB conversion on a .1 tt?
And what is a typical cost on the secondary market?
I'm thinking of doing the conversion -- reasons ibid
-Cam
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM
skyak
Racer

Originally Posted by ok-cami
What exactly is required for a steel to PCCB conversion on a .1 tt? And what is a typical cost on the secondary market? I'm thinking of doing the conversion -- reasons ibid -Cam
The kit from Porsche is about 15k. All of the parts on the Porsche TSB for the change (rotors, pads, hardware, etc) comes out to a little less than 4k. So if you buy used rotors and new everything else it is cost of rotors plus ~4k. For rotor cost it really depends on the condition of the rotors you are buying, but from what I found (ymmv) ~$1500 per lightly used rotor. So you add it up and close to $10k total. Note the original option was almost $9k and you did not get a set of extra steel brakes with it

Having said that there are some threads out there suggesting you can reuse your existing calipers. I don't really understand this, as the front calipers are quite different (Pccb calipers require mounting brackets to accommodate 380 vs 350 mm) and I think Pccb and steel rotor widths are different front and rear. One question I have is whether calipers are adjusted for different rotor widths or would the pedal feel change?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have spent a lot of time today researching this...
It does appear that the .1 tt (and also probably .2 tt) front rotors are incompatible with gt vehicle front rotors because of the 4wd in the turbo.
Both rotor weight and thickness are important when evaluating used PCCBs.
There are several complete PCCB brake sets available on the secondary market (Ebay, RL classifieds), but it appears that, if I want to exchange steel for PCCB, it is necessary that I purchase a set that has been removed from a 997 tt.
Can anyone else opine in and confirm?
I will be on the look out for a complete set of PCCBs that for sure will fit my 997.1tt.
Thanks all.
-Cam
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

If PCCB's are what you want.. You can skin the cat different ways..

You can run 350mm PCCB's from the 996TT... They will bolt on AND you can keep your calipers..

If you want 380's you will need 997TT specific front rotors.. For the rears you can use 996TT, 996GT2/996GT3/ and/or 997GT2/GT3 rear PCCB rotors.. New front calipers are required...
Old 04-04-2016, 04:52 PM
skyak
Racer

Kevin...probably a stupid question...but if you reuse the calipers...rotor width differences between steel and ceramic does not matter?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Rear are okay, but the stock non PCCB caliper will not have the correct "casting" to account for the larger 380mm annulus.

The steel rotor manufactures account for the width of the rotor. The offset between GT2/GT3
HATS compared to the 997Turbo is different.

Quick Reply: PCCB Question