Sponsored by:

Fixing Smog Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Fixing Smog Issues

Who would have guessed when moving from Ohio to Tennessee that I'd be going to a more stringent smog state. My 996tt passed with flying colors, but my 997tt has two readiness indicators that won't reset. If you have one flakey indicator, you pass. Two? You get to visit a mechanic. I did the ridiculous reset drive a few times, removed my tune, did it two more times, did the hokey pokey, and nothing worked.

So, in to the dealer it goes. Although I still have no CEL, my tech at Porsche (and Kevin) recommended starting with the wideband O2's based on their diagnostics. Kevin mentioned he's starting to see failures on those in our cars with age and heat. I thought when they failed, they failed, but it must be gradual.

Anyway, I asked the dealer out of sheer convenience to me to quote me a price for the parts. $276.00. Each. Noooo, thank you. I got the pair overnighted from CA from RockAuto (same Bosch part number) for $74.00 each + 25 in shipping.

That's a hell of a markup!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What were the monitors that failed to set? I ran into catalyst efficiency monitors that failed to set on my cayman (with catless headers), even though the tune was designed to ignore this and not throw a CEL. I had no CELs, but no way the catalyst efficiency monitor would set. Had to re-innstall headers with cats to get it to work, then swapped them back out.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XPC5
What were the monitors that failed to set? I ran into catalyst efficiency monitors that failed to set on my cayman (with catless headers), even though the tune was designed to ignore this and not throw a CEL. I had no CELs, but no way the catalyst efficiency monitor would set. Had to re-innstall headers with cats to get it to work, then swapped them back out.
All the report says is "O2 Sensor" and "Secondary Air Sensor," so that's what we have to go on. I am all stock at the moment less the Do88 inlet pipes. The tune and exhaust are not on. It's possible I have a bad OEM catalytic converter, but we shall see what this brings us next.

According to my tech, the regional rep told him that in high altitudes (which Nashville is most definitely not) the secondary air sensors may never come on. He says that both sensors pass in the short test on the PIWIS, so he's looking for other alternatives. We decided to replace the O2's because they're 8 years old... and Kevin said to, which is good enough for me lol
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Actually, Scott will confirm that his ECU was updated to Porsche newest software revision..

His options right now WITH the help of his Porsche tech are

Small intake leak

Secondary air injection/EGR failure, leak (this requires component pressure testing)

Sluggish wideband O2 >> Replace and retest..
Old 12-18-2015, 01:19 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Kevin, I was not looking at all the info. O2 sensors sound like a good starting point for sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:48 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

So Scott did the new O2 sensors clear up your issue?
Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
So Scott did the new O2 sensors clear up your issue?
Not sure, getting installed today
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

New O2's didn't work, and we also swapped another exhaust on and that didn't change the situation. We are now researching new software, since it doesn't seem hardware related at this point.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this issue a couple of years ago, ended up having to have the software redone to show all readiness parameters "ready", that's the only thing that worked. Whenever I buy software, I always ask that all readiness codes are ready.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I maybe totally off base here, but aren't some of the OBD related codes clear after you have made hardware corrections AND you have driven so many miles/hrs/ignition cycles?

GL
Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, but not completely in the 997.1 unit, at east that's what fvd told me.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I had this issue a couple of years ago, ended up having to have the software redone to show all readiness parameters "ready", that's the only thing that worked. Whenever I buy software, I always ask that all readiness codes are ready.
I flashed back to stock before I took it in, so they couldn't ask all those silly questions

Originally Posted by Igooz
I maybe totally off base here, but aren't some of the OBD related codes clear after you have made hardware corrections AND you have driven so many miles/hrs/ignition cycles?

GL
Right, the infamous "drive cycle." I guess in the PIWIS tool you can force a readiness reading, but even then, my car won't accept it.

Quick Reply: Fixing Smog Issues