Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My spun camshaft story

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"Emotionally bound to what you currently own? " Pot calling the kettle black.
It must be boring over on the 991tt board these days, why not just let us have our fun, you have so much to teach the newbs over there who just dropped 200k and looking to mod, they need you (much) more than we do
JK Paul, (you know you love bantering with us), before you start your manifesto....
Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
"Emotionally bound to what you currently own? " Pot calling the kettle black.
Sorry to disappoint, but not at all Chris. You should know me better by now! I'm just as happy to junk out of what I'm currently in for the next better model so long as i have the coin to do it. That can be, and is painful, (as we all know) but we love our cars so we do what we do within our financial constraints....well most of the time anyway lol. But in so far as getting all hogtied emotionally to what I own, having a complete lend of myself in the process that it is going to remain better than the newer model (regardless) is something I doubt you will ever see me do. I love seeing advancements made in the brand. Sorry. I guess I'm the odd man out here amongst the select few from "the old iron crowd" who have chained themselves to the deckchairs of the titanic. JK..

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It must be boring over on the 991tt board these days, why not just let us have our fun, you have so much to teach the newbs over there who just dropped 200k and looking to mod, they need you (much) more than we do
JK Paul, (you know you love bantering with us), before you start your manifesto....
Haha well I do love you guys. Never a good BS story goes by...lmao!!! Plus seriously a few here PM me from time to time asking me to come over and join in on occassion. So if I'm cramping the style of the BS stories going on here amongst the old iron boys then take it up with them.

PS and re the boring remarks on the 991tt forum you have a point. I guess nothing is breaking or breaking down so we all just talk about silly wheels and paint jobs and about driving them and trying to mod them to break them but they still wont break dammit!!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
M42Racer, we just aren't seeing these crankshaft failures with the 997.1TT engine. I have personally seen 2 cranks break with the 996TT platform and heard of 2 other engines.. 2 of 4 engines were tracked. The GT3 engine has suffered other issues with the pulley and such.

We would have seen Porsche install a harmonic dampener to the pulley if they felt that it was an issue. One in 1000 failure is more of chance. It's easier to place the blame on a missed shift vs a crankshaft breakage. Again, I agree that a "few" crankshaft failures occur but so do timing chain breakage and vario-cam module failures, cylinder head casting porosity and other manufacturing errors. On this platform I have NOT seen an oil pump gear failure.
I spoke to someone who I know understand these problems at length yesterday.

I got more info and some ideas that could be contributing to the problem. He asked me to find out if the problem was concentrated with the Intake cam on the RHS of the engine. He told me that this timing chain is "shorter" than the LHS in its fitment and could be contributing to the turning effect as well. He said that in assembling the chain on the RHS, it requires some leverage to fit, unlike the LHS. If the failures are happening in the RHS only, this could also be a contributor to the cause. It could be putting the sleeve under some side loading.

However, he told me they have seen many issues with the Turbo engines. I guess it comes down to how many you come in contact with.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:32 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Are the 9a1 pistons in swappable sleeves or bored into the block material?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
They use the nikasil coated liners, removable from the block same as the earlier mezger unit.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.total911.com/wp-content/u...ction-main.jpg

and in this post you can see a picture of the cylinder :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ability-7.html
Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo

Thanks, Denis. Let me put my question another way. I thought that during a rebuild, the sleeves in the blocks on the Mergers were liners, and were thus removed and replaced. On the 9A1's, the block has to be rebored and recoated with nikasil. True or false?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Denis. Let me put my question another way. I thought that during a rebuild, the sleeves in the blocks on the Mergers were liners, and were thus removed and replaced. On the 9A1's, the block has to be rebored and recoated with nikasil. True or false?
Not sure if this answers your question Scott, but the following is about the
9A1 from the book Porsche 911 (997), All models 2004-2012:

"The cylinders now also featured a stronger closed deck design with the liners actually attached to the coolant sleeve's top plate. This created a stronger (22% stiffer than before), more stable cylinder design while also reducing oil consumption"
Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Last edited by strato58; 10-28-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: changed mind
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Back to the original topic..

Rhonda from FVD told me today that Porsche performs an "update" to the ECU when the dealer does work for the camshaft issue.. I confirmed it to the extent that my FVD tune will no longer load due to it being "incompatible" with my ECU..

Those of you who had a dealer replace your cams, if you run a tune have you run into this before?

I'm working on getting a new file..
Old 11-24-2015, 05:58 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin

Rhonda from FVD told me today that Porsche performs an "update" to the ECU when the dealer does work for the camshaft issue.. I confirmed it to the extent that my FVD tune will no longer load due to it being "incompatible" with my ECU..

Those of you who had a dealer replace your cams, if you run a tune have you run into this before?

The saga continues. One thing is certain Rhonda at FVD will be responsive, their customer service is top drawer.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

It is always BEST to flash your ECU back to stock when taking your car into a Porsche dealer for service. Most tuning systems allow for this.. Stock and tuned files with tuning interface.

Specific Answer>> Not all Porsche dealers will rewrite the ECU. I just talked to a Rennlister today and "his" did not get reflashed while having the cams repaired.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I never took my UMW tune out, and all is well with my car. No lights, no noises, so I'm not exactly sure what they would be changing?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
It is always BEST to flash your ECU back to stock when taking your car into a Porsche dealer for service. Most tuning systems allow for this.. Stock and tuned files with tuning interface.

Specific Answer>> Not all Porsche dealers will rewrite the ECU. I just talked to a Rennlister today and "his" did not get reflashed while having the cams repaired.
Maybe I wasn't clear.. it WAS on the original stock file when I took it to the dealer.. I actually had been using the stock file for about 3 months prior to the CEL for the cam issue..

I decided to flash it back to the tuned file today and THEN thats when I got the ECU incompatible message..

Scott, did you get your car repaired at a dealer or indy?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Maybe I wasn't clear.. it WAS on the original stock file when I took it to the dealer.. I actually had been using the stock file for about 3 months prior to the CEL for the cam issue..

I decided to flash it back to the tuned file today and THEN thats when I got the ECU incompatible message..

Scott, did you get your car repaired at a dealer or indy?
I went to the dealer, because I trust their lead tech there implicitly and they charge about the same as the Indy's around. He knew it was flashed, and it never came up. Given your error, it makes sense that FVD will have to tweak it. I just can't imagine what changed...

Quick Reply: My spun camshaft story