Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My spun camshaft story

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Fidelity rate base on mileage and at 65k miles, the warranty cost can be outrages.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
No you can't buy from them directly, you must go through dealer only from what I was told when I was in the market. Call Elliot Dawson at Circle Porsche CA, he gave me the best deal in the nation. Good luck
Yes, you must go thru a dealer.. I tried a few non-Porsche delaers in my area that sold fidelity, but none of them were interested in selling it for my car.

I called that guy from Circle you mentioned and left 2 separate voicemails and they never called back, so I guess they werent too interested in selling it to me..

Originally Posted by xxdachosen1xx
Saabin I have 65k on my car and fidelity quoted me an absolutely absurd amount;

4 years platinum 48,000 miles $18,648
3 years platinum 36,000 miles $13,736
2 years platinum 24,000 miles $9,810
1 year platinum 12,000 miles $6,758

So after hearing these crazy prices I choose an aftermarket warranty through Hendrick Autoguard which was $2,900 for power-train 3 years 36,000 miles which will cover my camshaft and most major components that could break the bank if failure occurs in the future.
Even for the mileage you have on your car, those look like retail prices.. there is some serious markup on these warranties; retail on my 3400 policy was almost 5K.

Which dealer quoted you that price on the fidelity warranty?
Sunset Porsche
Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow this is some crazy information. Btw anyone know how far in advance of a soon to expire warranty you need to be to get a new extended warranty? Looks like i'll be interested in Hendrick Autoguard next summer
Old 10-22-2015, 04:26 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hendrick Autoguard also allows you to finance if you choose to for 2 year 0% interest free which is pretty awesome if you don't want to pay cash up front.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hendrick Autoguard also allows you to finance if you choose to for 2 year 0% interest free which is pretty awesome if you don't want to pay cash up front.
do i get this through Porsche dealer?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:46 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Yes, any Rick Hendrick dealership can sell you Hendrick Autoguard, I called the Rick Hendrick Porsche of Charlotte, NC. Ask to speak with Matt in service and he will give you a quote.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
No, they all looked to be in decent shape with no signs of leaks.. I'll deal with that later if/when it ever happens..should be covered under warranty later as opposed to being on my dime if I were to do it now.
Saabin, really glad you got it fixed! I understand what it's like to wait... and wait... and wait. I wish Porsche would address this with a real fix. Just swapping the cams isn't a fix, and that I'm positive of. My technician created a jig to realign the holes on his own spun camshafts, and he experimented on a a brand new one to see if it would move -- and it does. From all of my research on this issue, I am beginning to think this is because of sh!tty oil in the US. This is almost unheard of in Europe.

Speed21, I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to say the 9A1 is more reliable/better/etc than the Mezger, but it does have fewer parts to break, which I will grant you. However, we don't have enough engines out there to see what piece of engineering Porsche neglected to think all the way through just yet on those

The 997.1 is alone in this camshaft problem, but the bulk of Mezger engines suffer more from cooling leaks: oil leaks in the air cooleds (965 and 993) and water leaks in the hydro ones (996 and 997) than anything catastrophic.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:18 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cincy 9A1 is unquestionably more reliable. For Porsche to build the same inherent problems into the 9A1 would have been madness to say the least. It just wouldn't happen from this company. Modern Porsche engines are clearly getting better in terms of providing more reliable horsepower for the owner. There are more than enough 9A1's out in the market to be able to make that clear determination. They have infinitely less oil consumption issues, deliver better, more reliable out of box performance, all key attributes for a car of this caliber and expense. Doesn't mean, nor am I suggesting, or have suggested that everyone with a Mezger should sell up for the newer, however, my point all along was that it was a bit rich for certain current mezger owners indulging themselves with some fanciful misguided logic that it was more sensible to hold on to what they have based purely upon Mezgers so called record of reliability and durability as being superior than 9A1. That one is laughable.

I guess when these guys are on the side of the road awaiting the tow truck they will have ample time to reflect upon the wonderful racing heritage of years gone by. Shame it's not the exact same engine in their cars...so even there their commentary is misguided at best. As i said Warranty and a good prayer book are staples IMO during any Mezger ownership. I knew that when I owned mine.

And in so far Porsche's brilliance stopping at the mezger. What a joke! Time stops for no man.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
.. From all of my research on this issue, I am beginning to think this is because of sh!tty oil in the US. This is almost unheard of in Europe.
Scott, what oil were you running right before you had this issue? Were'nt you running M1 5W40 TDT? That's what I had in there before the CEL came on..

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Anyone else had the CEL while running the TDT oil?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
...9A1 is unquestionably more reliable...
Like with many other things, I will believe this when I see scientifically sound evidence of it.

Not sayin' one way or the other, but I haven't read an argument yet that is convincing either way.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Scott, what oil were you running right before you had this issue? Were'nt you running M1 5W40 TDT? That's what I had in there before the CEL came on..

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Anyone else had the CEL while running the TDT oil?
Forgive me if I have this wrong, but don't the oils meant for diesel engines have additives that foam at the higher RPMs of gasoline engines, making them less than ideal? Isn't the TDT a diesel engine oil?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

L perm, we have a dry sump engine.. Low oil volume in the engine case to foam..... The scavenge pump does a good job...
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by L_perm
Like with many other things, I will believe this when I see scientifically sound evidence of it.

Not sayin' one way or the other, but I haven't read an argument yet that is convincing either way.
You'd need to be more specific, and point toward the substance of any argument as I don't understand your logic or the point you are trying to make with that statement.

I thought it was pretty clear to even a layperson 9A1 is not demonstrating extremely costly issues as the street turbo Mezger unit has consistently done. Oil consumption is also basically non existent nowadays (finally). Cams aren't spinning, water outlets aren't failing, seals aren't leaking. If so where are all the user reports of such? Where are the arguments to support otherwise?
So I guess when Porsche designed the new 9A1 engine it wasn't just all about emissions compliance - genuine steps were made toward advancing on previous and, now even current engine design. Fabulous! That is what its all about! A better car for the customer!
Performance and engine reliability has clearly moved forward and won't stop at 9A1. Now Porsche are making more money than ever before, and there is more on the table for development into newer, more powerful, more reliable and efficient engines. The cars are only getting better as a consequence. This is a good thing surely?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin
L perm, we have a dry sump engine.. Low oil volume in the engine case to foam..... The scavenge pump does a good job...
Agree, oil should not foam.

The cam issue appears design related, inherent with the engine. Why it is more prevalent with the turbo could well be due to the additional heat being generated, inadequate service intervals, oil degradation....who knows....but it does seems to happen to quite a few once the engine gets over 20,000 miles. Maybe the wear factor at that stage opens up the clearances just enough to set the stage. It could also be an operational problem which manifests as a consequence of having a combination of factors not working in the engine's favor. Such as regular or prolonged periods of idling (traffic), excessive heat, oil viscosity degradation, wear/clearances. But ultimately it comes down to the design being unable to cater for the rigors of street use. Maybe not such an issue in racing where the RPMs are consistently high and the engines are getting pulled down and overhauled regularly...

Last edited by speed21; 10-23-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:57 PM
PABers
Advanced

Originally Posted by speed21
You'd need to be more specific, and point toward the substance of any argument as I don't understand your logic or the point you are trying to make with that statement.

I thought it was pretty clear to even a layperson 9A1 is not demonstrating extremely costly issues as the street turbo Mezger unit has consistently done. Oil consumption is also basically non existent nowadays (finally). Cams aren't spinning, water outlets aren't failing, seals aren't leaking. If so where are all the user reports of such? Where are the arguments to support otherwise?
So I guess when Porsche designed the new 9A1 engine it wasn't just all about emissions compliance - genuine steps were made toward advancing on previous and, now even current engine design. Fabulous! That is what its all about! A better car for the customer!
Performance and engine reliability has clearly moved forward and won't stop at 9A1. Now Porsche are making more money than ever before, and there is more on the table for development into newer, more powerful, more reliable and efficient engines. The cars are only getting better as a consequence. This is a good thing surely?
Here we go again; OP shares his story and it turns into a "9A1 is better" argument . I really don't understand your constant need to belittle the Mezger.

OP - Kudos for sharing; good information.

Quick Reply: My spun camshaft story