Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo - Eliminating Wheelhop is...EASY! TPC DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 PM
proTUNING Freaks
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 997.1 Turbo - Eliminating Wheelhop is...EASY! TPC DSC module

Some of you guys have been following our 997.1 build over the past year or so and on the performance/hp front the car is doing really great. However, as it is with any platform as you increase power, especially if you double the power and go further, the OEM suspension shows its ugly sides very quickly.

Many here are very familiar with the shortcomings of the OEM 997.1 suspension setup and there's plenty of great discussion about it on here. We thought we'd start with the Eibach rear sway bar and rear toe links, alignment and go from there. We got them here but never installed them as of yet. We've also been leaning towards Bilstein coilovers, various mounts/bushings/etc but held off as we were not interested in either having a stiffer suspension most of the time or lowering/upsetting the geometry to gain in the aesthetics department.

Most of the driving with our shop 997.1 Turbo is straight line acceleration runs, 1/4, 1/2 mile and we had the following issues to solve:

1) Under hard acceleration mostly in 1st and 2nd, at times 3rd gear, the car would just feel unstable with a floaty feel causing a need to slightly steer to keep it straight. This was very dangerous naturally and it was there in both Normal and Sport PASM modes.

2) WHEELHOP! - OMG! Absolutely horrible, disgusting, wheelhop in 1st and 2nd gears. We HAD to use boost by gear lowering boost to wastegate spring pressure in 1st gear and setting it a little higher from there in 2nd to avoid this drivetrain killing phenomenon. Really nasty!

3) Very dangerous instability when breaking hard at higher speeds even in Sport mode. The car would nose dive hard and try to fish tail the rear just braking hard while going straight!

First two really I couldn't blame Porsche suspension guys for as they're mostly a product of much higher power/torque than the car came with from the factory but #3 was a huge W T F. With 245 front 325 rear Pirelli Trofeo R tires we really didn't expect any issues while braking hard at higher speeds but it was really dangerous!

Now, it was hard to ignore all the great reviews on TPC Racing's DSC module and boy are we glad we decided to try it! It was installed 3 days ago and every single issue is eliminated, period! All we did was plug the module in without a single change to OEM suspension. Car hasn't even gone in to double check alignment!

With this thread we want to express our utmost thanks and respect to the TPC Racing team for such an amazing product! We were not happy at all knowing that we have these suspension issues at hand. It brought back wheelhop nightmares especially given how frustrating and how much time we spent on the E9x BMW platform trying to put the power down

Thank you! You have a truly unique and outstanding product guys!

Dzenno@PTF
Old 09-03-2015, 05:29 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you very much, Dzenno! We have been watching the progress on the PTF 997 Turbo, the respect is mutual. When the DSC software becomes available later this year, you can change the damping force to manage weight transfer specifically for launching to improve 60ft times and then increase damping force for vehicle stability as speed exceeds 100mph.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your hardware upgradable via flash like a lot of tech companies allow? I am afraid of being late to the party now...plunking down my money and then version 2 pops up or something.

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thank you very much, Dzenno! We have been watching the progress on the PTF 997 Turbo, the respect is mutual. When the DSC software becomes available later this year, you can change the damping force to manage weight transfer specifically for launching to improve 60ft times and then increase damping force for vehicle stability as speed exceeds 100mph.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:32 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Is your hardware upgradable via flash like a lot of tech companies allow? I am afraid of being late to the party now...plunking down my money and then version 2 pops up or something.
The hardware will remain the same indefinitely, if not for the life of the product. We've had a few software updates since we begin selling the modules; customers have sent their DSCs in to get the software update. However, by the end of the calendar year we will be releasing our user friendly software, which will make it possible to update the software for free via downloadable maps.

So in short, no need to worry about version 2 or obsolete hardware!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

on the xmas list.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had my box for a while and I started with an early Beta version. The box has gone into production so it's basically software updates going forward. I have tried a bunch of different maps and since these guys are awesome to be around and are fun, I have driven to TPC Racing's location in Jessup, MD or met them on various tracks to get software updates :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
The hardware will remain the same indefinitely, if not for the life of the product. We've had a few software updates since we begin selling the modules; customers have sent their DSCs in to get the software update. However, by the end of the calendar year we will be releasing our user friendly software, which will make it possible to update the software for free via downloadable maps.

So in short, no need to worry about version 2 or obsolete hardware!
Please also change the blinking PASM light! It becomes annoying!

- No light: Mode 1
- Solid light: Mode 2
- Blinking: Mode 3

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM
proTUNING Freaks
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: We've done a number of tests braking at high speed in mode 3 which is what we usually run with on the car when doing any high speed acceleration runs and we haven't been able to reproduce the unsettling tendency of the rear of the car to become unstable and attempt to fishtail.

Dzenno@PTF
Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Please also change the blinking PASM light! It becomes annoying!

- No light: Mode 1
- Solid light: Mode 2
- Blinking: Mode 3
YES PLEASE

I second that motion.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo - Eliminating Wheelhop is...EASY! TPC DSC module