Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Engine Failed & Porsche Won't Honor Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:13 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Now what we need to find out is, whom was the flash from? Very interesting.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

joep999, You are in a tough place right now. I respect that.. Can you fill in some details..

Did you purchase the car from and individual, Car Dealer or Porsche Dealer. From your original post you mentioned that the Porsche Dealer inspected the car? You paid the Porsche dealer for a PPI?

Did you record the Type 1 to type 6 OverRevs and engine operating hours? This is important. If you do NOT have them from the purchase date, I would recommend that you ask the dealer to produce them from your car right now. This will enlighten us as to the operating condition and REV range of this car. Can you also ask them to report the stored CEL's.. The PIWIS 2 will be able to produce the timestamps.. My angle is, IF the aftermarket tuning leaned the fueling and you burnt a piston or two.. Detonation will knock out the rod bearings. I would also ASK for the OIL FILTER.. This is important. Bag it and TAG it.. There will be metal in it..

did you receive any folder or paperwork with the car? What tune is on the car? What exhaust and intake is on the car?

Lastly, I am a Porsche Parts Express dealer, I can arrange a discounted engine cheaper than your Porsche Dealer IF and ONLY if, Porsche North America does not step up and offer pricing assistance.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
joep999, You are in a tough place right now. I respect that.. Can you fill in some details..

Did you purchase the car from and individual, Car Dealer or Porsche Dealer. From your original post you mentioned that the Porsche Dealer inspected the car? You paid the Porsche dealer for a PPI?

Did you record the Type 1 to type 6 OverRevs and engine operating hours? This is important. If you do NOT have them from the purchase date, I would recommend that you ask the dealer to produce them from your car right now. This will enlighten us as to the operating condition and REV range of this car. Can you also ask them to report the stored CEL's.. The PIWIS 2 will be able to produce the timestamps.. My angle is, IF the aftermarket tuning leaned the fueling and you burnt a piston or two.. Detonation will knock out the rod bearings. I would also ASK for the OIL FILTER.. This is important. Bag it and TAG it.. There will be metal in it..

did you receive any folder or paperwork with the car? What tune is on the car? What exhaust and intake is on the car?

Lastly, I am a Porsche Parts Express dealer, I can arrange a discounted engine cheaper than your Porsche Dealer IF and ONLY if, Porsche North America does not step up and offer pricing assistance.
Good on you, great offer!!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 PM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+++++997^^^^^^^
Old 08-11-2015, 07:24 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

If I lived in the states, Kevin would be my 1st choice. He's a straight up guy.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joep999
Thanks again everyone. Definitely a crap situation, but as someone pointed out above, there could be much worse problems to have. And glad the issues happened in pretty safe driving conditions for one.

What I'm trying to get my head around is the warranty language:

"You should also be aware that Porsche Cars N. A. may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications."

In talking to folks, corporate ultimately has to prove that the failure was due to the mods. Revs weren't a problem (and I'm sure they would have been quick to point out if they were), and seems like some kind of oil pump failure is the most likely culprit. They refuse to identify the cause here. For a high performance engine driving under pretty standard conditions at low-loads, I'm a bit in shock Porsche won't stand by their product or try to be helpful at all. Especially for a car that gets modified fairly regularly, and these were pretty standard / nothing crazy.

To date, they unfortunately have not been very communicative or helpful other than telling me I have to pay a lot of money to get this fixed.
Sorry but these "folks"don't know what they are talking about. So far as Porsche is concerned you don't have a warranty and they have no need beyond a legal environment to prove anything. I can guarantee if you pulled them on legally they would have a goldmine of evidence in the failed engine to draw upon. As others has said, as heavy a blow as it is, best to move on. Best to always buy stock. Without dismantling the engine at the time you bought the car there is no way of ever knowing just how much damage these mods have already done to the internals. An oil pump failure is generally due to debris entering the oil ways, so I wouldn't rely on that prognosis being the primary cause at all.

Btw. Is there a reason you don't want to mention the brands of the mods?

Last edited by speed21; 08-11-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I don't think Porsche should be expected to honor the warranty.

But with regards to the dealer, I'm surprised they sold you the car with all those mods still on it, especially given the car is still under factory warranty. I've seen aftermarket cat-back exhausts left on before but it seems like there was much more on your car. Did they throw in a CPO because if they did that would really put them in a bind I would think.

Sorry for your loss. I would hope something could be worked out with the dealer where given they sold you the car with all those mods on it, that you guys could split the cost, parts on you, labor on them, or something like that.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 AM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine Failed & Porsche Won't Honor Warranty

By chance is this the white turbo sitting in the back at Sonnen with the motor out?

I was over there on the weekend and saw a sad looking turbo :/
Old 08-12-2015, 07:50 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just move on, contact Kevin and go from there.

You bought a modified car and that modification caused the engine to fail. Not a manufacturer mistake.

If you want warranty buy stock.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Curious what the dealer pricing is on a new engine?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:01 AM
MagicCity911
Intermediate

I'm more curious about the mods. It would be good to know what tune was loaded if known....
Old 08-14-2015, 05:36 AM
cuse92
Instructor

You shouldn't focus on proving whether or not the mods caused the damage. Assuming that the car was purchased from an OPC, the real question is whether or not the dealer had knowledge of the mods when he sold the car to the OP, and if the dealer did, if he informed the OP that the mods negated (or potentially could negate) the warranty. From the perspective of the OP, the dealer is an agent of Porsche. If dealer knew of mods, and still represented the car as being sold with a Porsche warranty while knowing that, then it is a pretty straightforward case for the OP who needs only to prove that he relied on the representations from the dealer that the car as modified was covered by the warranty when he bought it. It is then an issue between Porsche and its dealer to agree who pays up under the warranty (in this case, given what I know about Porsche warranty conditions) dealer will almost certainly will have to reimburse the mother ship).

The case is even stronger if OP forked out money for an extended Porsche warranty.

If the mods were made by OP after the purchase, totally different story - then you look at whether they caused the damage. If dealer not an OPC, it would also a totally different story.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:59 AM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hope everything works out. Interested to hear the answers to the questions on the table.

Originally Posted by cuse92
You shouldn't focus on proving whether or not the mods caused the damage. Assuming that the car was purchased from an OPC, the real question is whether or not the dealer had knowledge of the mods when he sold the car to the OP, and if the dealer did, if he informed the OP that the mods negated (or potentially could negate) the warranty. From the perspective of the OP, the dealer is an agent of Porsche. If dealer knew of mods, and still represented the car as being sold with a Porsche warranty while knowing that, then it is a pretty straightforward case for the OP who needs only to prove that he relied on the representations from the dealer that the car as modified was covered by the warranty when he bought it. It is then an issue between Porsche and its dealer to agree who pays up under the warranty (in this case, given what I know about Porsche warranty conditions) dealer will almost certainly will have to reimburse the mother ship).

The case is even stronger if OP forked out money for an extended Porsche warranty.

If the mods were made by OP after the purchase, totally different story - then you look at whether they caused the damage. If dealer not an OPC, it would also a totally different story.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by joep999
Thanks again everyone. Definitely a crap situation, but as someone pointed out above, there could be much worse problems to have. And glad the issues happened in pretty safe driving conditions for one.

What I'm trying to get my head around is the warranty language:

"You should also be aware that Porsche Cars N. A. may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications."

In talking to folks, corporate ultimately has to prove that the failure was due to the mods. Revs weren't a problem (and I'm sure they would have been quick to point out if they were), and seems like some kind of oil pump failure is the most likely culprit. They refuse to identify the cause here. For a high performance engine driving under pretty standard conditions at low-loads, I'm a bit in shock Porsche won't stand by their product or try to be helpful at all. Especially for a car that gets modified fairly regularly, and these were pretty standard / nothing crazy.

To date, they unfortunately have not been very communicative or helpful other than telling me I have to pay a lot of money to get this fixed.
Well, there are questions that I have not seen answers to yet. One is did a Porsche dealer tell you the car is under warranty? Or did another non-Porsche dealer tell you this?

IIRC CPO cars only retain their warranty when sold by a private owner or by an authorized Porsche dealer. Cars sold by other businesses lose the CPO warranty. I am not sure what if anything happens to the factory new car warranty, if this remains in effect regardless of who sells the car.

As for you attempting to find some loophole in the fine print, I think you are out of luck, and wasting your time.

The factory will point out the car was mod'd. These mod's bumped engine output. The factory will then argue this should render the warranty invalid, even assuming any existed at the time you owned and were driving the car.

I would have to side with Porsche on this -- provided you have nothing that shows the selling (Porsche?) dealer or factory sold the car with a warranty.

If you bought the car from a non-Porsche dealer then if you have anything from this dealer that says the car came with a warranty, possibly even a "factory" warranty, your beef is with the selling dealer, not Porsche.

Quick Reply: Help! Engine Failed & Porsche Won't Honor Warranty