Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Race Ramps (Car Service Ramps) for my 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Mr.White
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Race Ramps (Car Service Ramps) for my 997 Turbo?

Hi

I want to buy some Race Ramps (Car Service Ramps) for my 997 Turbo. Due to the fact that I´m from germany, shipping costs are quite high (there´s no reseller over here, just one in belgium). I need to make sure that I´m ordering the right ones

- Does anyone have personal experience which Race Ramps will work on a 997 Turbo? I´m afraid of buying some Car Service Ramps from Race Ramps and getting problems with the angle/low profile of my car (it has the OEM PASM).

- If so, what kind of ramps would you consider or have you bought? I´m thinking of getting the 12" or the 14" (see attached pictures), but I´m not sure yet (12" for a 305 wheel might be a little bit less, 14" seems better).

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No 997 Turbo experience but for my 996 Turbo I found Rhino Ramps worked pretty good.

I could back the rear of the car up on the ramps to give me room to change the oil and filter.

Couple of things: The ramps were too high/steep to work under the front of the car. If you want/need to drive the front of the car up on ramps Rhino Ramps aren't for you.

Before I bought the Rhino Ramps I got permission to take one out to my car and while not use it of course see if it would work at the rear. It did but not at the front so I was aware of this.

The Turbo's rear tires are quite wide and the ramps I had were not as wide but I centered the ramps and the car was supported just fine.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No 997 Turbo experience but for my 996 Turbo I found Rhino Ramps worked pretty good.

I could back the rear of the car up on the ramps to give me room to change the oil and filter.

Couple of things: The ramps were too high/steep to work under the front of the car. If you want/need to drive the front of the car up on ramps Rhino Ramps aren't for you.

Before I bought the Rhino Ramps I got permission to take one out to my car and while not use it of course see if it would work at the rear. It did but not at the front so I was aware of this.

The Turbo's rear tires are quite wide and the ramps I had were not as wide but I centered the ramps and the car was supported just fine.
+1 for the Rhino ramps, I also use them with no problems on my 997.1 tt and my car is lowered about 1".
Old 08-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Mr.White
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies so far. Rhino Ramps aren´t available over here too and seem to be harder to get (ship) than the Race Ramps. But anyway, what Rhino Ramps (model) do you have (especially @nuclearfishin)? Do you have a picture with the 996tt or 997tt "liftet" up at the back?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

These are the ones I have, available everywhere for under $50 US. Sorry, I don't have pics of the car on them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoRamps-Black/19526658
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in this as well- RaceRamps seems to have a significant advantage in terms of incline, and the XT is also 1.5" higher

Here's a good "how to tell" guidance from the manufacturer:

http://www.raceramps.com/xtenders-fo...ace-ramps.aspx

Will you be getting it from DUXE or otherwise?

Best wishes from Luxembourg!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
cam2008
Racer

I made a set out of 2x12s, they are kind of heavy but I trust them implicitly.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:01 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought the Race Ramps Xt-2 67 inch along with the 10" wheel cribs to do service on my Saleen and TT. I can back the saleen up on it no problem without it scraping and the saleen is lower with a greater front overhang. Haven't done it yet with the TT since I borrowed a lift for my last oil change.

It should work just fine. If you want me to I could throw it up on the ramps tonight and report back just to be sure. Just let me know.

I couldn't justify the cost of a lift in my garage at the moment so this was a good solution for me. So far I did a coolant change and I had a wonderful amount of clearance for the car. It feels a whole lot safer putting it up with these rather than jack stands. Quality product and worth the money in my opinion despite the high cost.

One other thing. I highly recommend the 2 piece for even greater access to your car. Worth the extra money.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Mr.White
Intermediate

Thanks for all of your replies!

@Luxembourger: Yes. I wanz to order ftom DUXE, if I'm going with the Race Ramps.

@Eviligloo: Thanks. That would be perfekt if you try it! Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if anyone does anything like these in the USA, but I've been toying with buying a set for a while.

http://www.cjautos.eu/mobile/Product...oductCode=CR01
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Please note that I have coilovers so my car is lower than yours is. I had considerable difficulty getting my car on a tow truck because of the front clearance. That being said it clears the race ramps just fine. The matching wheel cribs are nice for the front so i can level the car out and do quick and easy oil changes and maintenance. The nice thing about the XT-2 is that you have 10" of clearance from the bottom of the wheel which gives you room to work under there.

Last edited by eviligloo; 08-12-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added detail
The following users liked this post:
turb0 (09-16-2023)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 AM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John W
I don't know if anyone does anything like these in the USA, but I've been toying with buying a set for a while.

http://www.cjautos.eu/mobile/Product...oductCode=CR01
Interested in CJ Autos' hydraulic solution, but unsure how well it would marry with 997tt's. Does anyone have experience with the hydraulic ramps of CJ Autos?

(1) I'm hearing some cars require a lead on ramp like this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-LEAD-...item4d04310104. Would you be able to drive the 997.1tt onto this ramp without a lead on ramp?
(2) How's the front clearance for 997tt's. Any scrapping of the spoilers?

Found this:
http://www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/bigramps.pdf

The article says "most low slung cars will manage the shallow 16 degree slope". Fair enough.. but would this be enough for a 997tt?

@Nuclearfishin: RhinoRamps claims a 17 degree incline (of the ramp). Have you experienced any spoiler scratching when backing up?

Last edited by LUXEMBOURGER; 08-13-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Mr.White
Intermediate

@Eviligloo: Many thanks! Perfect for me! Now I can´t wait to order/get them. The angle seems to be very low, so maybe they also work at the front?!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:34 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Since I'm dropped so low with coilovers it doesn't work for me. It might work for the stock height.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

@Luxembourger they do a low profile version now too.
This also locks in 4 different heights, and hoses can be detached if required.

I'm tempted to get a pair and see how they do.

Quick Reply: Which Race Ramps (Car Service Ramps) for my 997 Turbo?