Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing PCCB with steel rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 PM
etepman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing PCCB with steel rotors?

So...she is here. As of this morning I am a proud papa of a 2011 Turbo S! So with all the excitement I am quickly learning that Porsche ownership comes with large bills....
Took it to TLG Auto and learned that PCCB rear rotors are done for (PPI in Texas missed it)...I will attempt to make her my everyday driver and plan to auto cross regularly. No hard core track plans as of now...it seems the cost of ceramic rotors is a shade under $10K, should I go steel? Pros/cons?

Also need to replace the tires, for everyday Southern Cali driving and 6-8 auto crosses a year; any recommendations?

THANK YOU very much! This forum is hugely responsible for getting me to this point, thank you!

P.S. Midlife crisis has a bad rep, done right, it's awesome!
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Great picture !
Congrats with new car.
Keep the PCCB's.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Nice car!

I'm sorry to hear that your rear PCCB rotors need to be replaced. I'm quite surprised too. How many miles do you have on the car? Was it tracked before you bought it? I know that track use with PSM activated can wear out rear brakes pretty quickly.

I know that lots of people have made the switch to steel rotors, especially the GT3 crowd who regularly track their cars. PCCBs are great on the track, but that aren't practical for heavy track use unless you have the budget of an F1 team.

How are your fronts rotors? I would imagine that they are getting worn too.

If I were in your shoes, I would be inclined to try to keep PCCBs on the car. That being said, it's your budget and you need to do what you feel is right for you.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Edgemonty
Intermediate

Congrats on the new car! I'm a new owner too! I love that pic. Exactly how I feel every morning when I open the garage door!! Is the car a Certified Pre-owned? I'm really sorry to hear about the rotors. I would probably make the jump to steel myself. As for tires, I'm partial to the Pirelli P Zero's.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Congrats on the purchase! Nice car!

I'm sorry to hear that your rear PCCB rotors need to be replaced. I'm quite surprised too. How many miles do you have on the car? Was it tracked before you bought it? I know that track use with PSM activated can wear out rear brakes pretty quickly.

I know that lots of people have made the switch to steel rotors, especially the GT3 crowd who regularly track their cars. PCCBs are great on the track, but that aren't practical for heavy track use unless you have the budget of an F1 team.

How are your fronts rotors? I would imagine that they are getting worn too.

If I were in your shoes, I would be inclined to try to keep PCCBs on the car. That being said, it's your budget and you need to do what you feel is right for you.
Thank you! Car has 23,000 miles. PPI did suggest that the car was tracked as they found bits of rubber in front intakes. (no over revs though). Front ones seem OK, both pad and rotors. Rear the pads are OK, but rotors are showing wear indicators...is autocross (I go with Orange Coast at El Toro Air Station) hard on breaks? If I put new ceramics, will I burn through them too? Or only hard core track use that does it?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Great picture !
Congrats with new car.
Keep the PCCB's.
Thank you VERY much!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgemonty
Congrats on the new car! I'm a new owner too! I love that pic. Exactly how I feel every morning when I open the garage door!! Is the car a Certified Pre-owned? I'm really sorry to hear about the rotors. I would probably make the jump to steel myself. As for tires, I'm partial to the Pirelli P Zero's.
Thank you and congrats to you too!!! I am yet to have that magical morning...she arrived this morning from Houston..I took her to a shop that will be taking care of her and got her smoged too, she is not CPO...tomorrow morning I will get my coffee and will have my moment of zen at the garage. Thank you very much for recommendations!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...onversion.html
Old 05-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The pccb rotors have very long life could be 100,000 mile under normal driving conditions.
something is not right on a 23k mi car on rears ?
even if it was tracked hard,the fronts would show the brunt of some wear.

the only thing I can think of is that the rear pads were not replaced in time (should at 50% wear and the metal back scraped the ceramics.

Not discovered in the CPO is ridiculous and can't be right.

how about posting some pics

Elliot
Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

have you had the rotors carefully measured? why are they done for? can you see cracks in the rotors? you should get a second opinion. ceramics brakes are great. don't spend the money unless you must.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 PM
etepman
Advanced

Thank you Elliot, the car was not CPO, but PPI mechanic did not mention anything about rotors. Car arrived here in Los Angeles, this morning, I took it to local mechanic to have her looked over and that is where the issue was brought up. It sounds like I should really get a second opinion just in case. We did not measure the rotors, just visually inspected and I was told the rear ones are goners...thank you! Here are PPI pics of pads...I know it does not do much to address the rotors...but still. I think you can see wear indicator on one of the pics, right in line with valve stem...

Is this a ware indicator inline with valve stem?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by rayng
have you had the rotors carefully measured? why are they done for? can you see cracks in the rotors? you should get a second opinion. ceramics brakes are great. don't spend the money unless you must.
I am getting that sense...I will get a second opinion as you are suggesting...thank you VERY much!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
etepman
Advanced

Here are a few more pics by popular demand :-)

Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM
etepman
Advanced

Thank you VERY much! This will help a lot. I will get a second opinion also, but in case I do need to do it...for my intended use: daily driver with 6 auto crosses a year, if I go with original PCCB, will I destroy them in a year, or only hard tracking does that? Cant' get clarity on that...is auto cross as hard on PCCB as real tracking? I've never been on a track, have no basis for comparison...
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a 2012 gt3 having all 4 replaced the other day for excessive wear, only about a dozen hard track days.

Quick Reply: Replacing PCCB with steel rotors?