Sponsored by:

TPC DSC Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^I think and I have heard from reliable sources that the TPC module improves the 7TT. But I recall that you own a 7GT2 which may already be factory optimized?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:11 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I tried 4 DSM units on my Bilstein Damptronic GT2, first unit was rock hard all time, second unit triggered PASM warning light third and forth just didn't seem to work right, the ride was always harder than stock and I couldn't detect any better handling than standard.

All units went back and I have lost confidence in the product mainly because it is so hard to quantify an "improvement" over the factory unit and I guess I am thinking how much development time went into the GT2 settings by the Motorsport dept of Porsche/Bilstein and how equipped in terms of resources are TPC to do better.
Hmmmm this is interesting. A bad review of the TPC product. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Hmmmm this is interesting. A bad review of the TPC product. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience.
Yeah, I hate to be the party pooper but when you've sent a number of these back and forth across the Atlantic confidence wanes somewhat.

Over the years I have found that there have been many magic tuning bits and pieces which loads of forum guys rave about but turn out to be crap, I'm not saying the DSC is in this category but the boxes I had did not work on my Bilstein B16 GT2.

Personally I would like to see some sort of comparative data of a eg 997 turbo lapping a circuit with and without DSC. I'd like to see position on the track speed lateral acceleration longitudinal acceleration which dampers are being stiffened and the speed of the stiffening and by what degree and finally that the lap time is faster with the DSC.

Until we see this sort of data I'm afraid its guinea pig time IMO.......
Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I hate to be the party pooper but when you've sent a number of these back and forth across the Atlantic confidence wanes somewhat.

Over the years I have found that there have been many magic tuning bits and pieces which loads of forum guys rave about but turn out to be crap, I'm not saying the DSC is in this category but the boxes I had did not work on my Bilstein B16 GT2.

Personally I would like to see some sort of comparative data of a eg 997 turbo lapping a circuit with and without DSC. I'd like to see position on the track speed lateral acceleration longitudinal acceleration which dampers are being stiffened and the speed of the stiffening and by what degree and finally that the lap time is faster with the DSC.

Until we see this sort of data I'm afraid its guinea pig time IMO.......

Well I only see TPC advertise the DSC for the GT3 or turbo. They are going to Sebring today or tomorrow. Hopefully this is an opportunity for them to provide the info you are asking for. I'm sure it would help other people as well.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jem7v
Well I only see TPC advertise the DSC for the GT3 or turbo..
They said they used a 997GT2 as a development car !
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
ammo_collector
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any data nor track times to quantify my observations, but after installing the DSC on my 08 GT2, the car "felt" more controlled on acceleration around corners and more compliant on uneven surfaces.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:54 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ammo_collector
more compliant on uneven surfaces.
It would be good to see some hard data on this ie a data trace of standard and DSC driving across a bumpy road and what exactly the damping level is and how fast it reacts to the bump etc, it must be doable.

I know driving in Germany at 200mph on standard PASM with Bilstein B16s, solid links and PSS tyres with factory pressure, my car felt very stable and absorbed the surfaces in its stride. I'd like to know what the DSC would do better under those circumstances, have they tested it (DSC) at 200mph ? (no chance) and for example how would I know if the DSC was working properly ? Like I said I had to send back multiple boxes which weren't working "properly"...
Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

I tried 4 DSM units on my Bilstein Damptronic GT2, first unit was rock hard all time, second unit triggered PASM warning light third and forth just didn't seem to work right, the ride was always harder than stock and I couldn't detect any better handling than standard.
TB993tt,

I am very very sorry that you didn't get the enjoyable experience that other DSC users have. After speaking with your sales rep I got the details on the situation. The first unit was faulty by luck of the draw out of a few hundred units in the batch, which again we are sorry for. We sent the second unit that didn't establish communication with instrument display due to a software update that unintendedly changed one digit in the communication coding and caused the PASM warning. The third unit we fixed the comm coding but the programmer accidentally flash the wrong file to it. It was an extraordinary sequence of unfortunate events to happen to one person so I can completely understand and sympathize for your unpleasant experience. The forth unit was sent, which we tested on a car before sending, you said you didn't like it so it was refunded with no questions.

I also have Bilstein B16 Damptronics + DSC on my personal car, a 997.1 GT3, and my previous car. The B16 set is the same part number for the GT2 as for the GT3. My observation is that the difference at the lower stiffness range is less noticeable than with OEM PASM shocks due to the narrower dynamic range of the B16 shocks. And the lower I set the ride height the less difference I noticed in that range. That could be a contributing factory to the situation.

We are at the tip of the iceberg with DSC. In the future we will have a user version software that'll show g-load and other inputs to indicate the unit is working.

Once again, my apologies for experience and for your inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Tom
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If nothing else - TPC customer service seems to fall into the "Excellent" category. A rare thing these days!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by heliflyer
If nothing else - TPC customer service seems to fall into the "Excellent" category. A rare thing these days!
Agreed. I had the PASM warning light that was mentioned here and Tom swapped my unit out instantly. No big deal.

For the cost, it's a no brainer. I really liked my car with the new eibach sways and springs, but the DSC took it to a whole different level. It's basically like swapping your cars shocks for no labor. The combo I have is as close to making a 997tt nimble as I can afford.

Even if you didn't like it (and I can't see how) after you tried it, if you put it up for sale you would get 75% of your money back.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Ruri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+3

Quick Reply: TPC DSC Opinions