Sponsored by:

clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default clear bra

So since I got the new .2 TTS and I'm going to keep it at least 5 years I want to keep it pristine for when I sell it.

Therefor is it worth me getting a clear bra? I would get xpel. For full hood, full bumper, full fenders, headlights, and mirrors I was quoted 1200.

Is this a good deal? Is it worth it? Car is black.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes worth it, and that's about the going rate for what your having done. Just did all those things you mentioned on the Cayenne and it was same price. The guy who did mine was one of the go to guys in Atlanta for high end cars, he said Suntek film is a little better for dark color cars and the really high end cars like Enzo's and lambos because it has a slightly smoother finish, but it only has 5 year warranty instead of the 10 with Expel. So you may want to ask about that.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:22 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Yes worth it, and that's about the going rate for what your having done. Just did all those things you mentioned on the Cayenne and it was same price. The guy who did mine was one of the go to guys in Atlanta for high end cars, he said Suntek film is a little better for dark color cars and the really high end cars like Enzo's and lambos because it has a slightly smoother finish, but it only has 5 year warranty instead of the 10 with Expel. So you may want to ask about that.
They offer suntek and xpel for the same price.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

I drove my TT when delivered new straight to the detailer who installed xpel.

Price is right for that coverage.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth every penny!
In the past, I've skipped the clear bra and regretted it with every rock chip it got.

My car has the same coverage as you've described and nobody can tell its there.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
So since I got the new .2 TTS and I'm going to keep it at least 5 years I want to keep it pristine for when I sell it.

Therefor is it worth me getting a clear bra? I would get xpel. For full hood, full bumper, full fenders, headlights, and mirrors I was quoted 1200.

Is this a good deal? Is it worth it? Car is black.
It is worth doing. Was your quote for Xpel Ultimate? $1200 seems a little low for what you described.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It is worth doing. Was your quote for Xpel Ultimate? $1200 seems a little low for what you described.
Yes it was xpel ultimate. I may be able to get it cheaper. I am getting this deal because it's my detail guy so he gets a lot of business from me, so he would basically be doing this at cost.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

For the people who have the full coverage like I want, did your installer do a custom cut job or did they use the clear bra that was already pre cut for the panels? If it was already precut can you then see the lines where it ends? I would prefer they fold the edges in the panel gaps but I don't want that guy to take knife to my car and cut the clear bra on my paint.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

Mine was a custom cut job, not pre cut.

Meaning, I think he cut it on a work bench from templates, not on the car. I did not see it done, so can't be sure either way.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 12-04-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
For the people who have the full coverage like I want, did your installer do a custom cut job or did they use the clear bra that was already pre cut for the panels? If it was already precut can you then see the lines where it ends? I would prefer they fold the edges in the panel gaps but I don't want that guy to take knife to my car and cut the clear bra on my paint.
The guy I used had a computer program with car templates and this big cutting machine and he pre-cut everything the night before. It was cut so that it folded around the edges on the hood but not the edges of the fenders (like where they meet the door) im not sure you can do that because you cant get behind there and press it down on the back side. Both my cars are silver and you can see the line but you would have to be looking at it from 3 inches away before you could see it. If he said hes going to cut the stuff on your car I would run and find another guy.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was precut using a vinyl plotter.
All the edges are wrapped so there are no visible lines.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

The guy I used had a computer program with car templates and this big cutting machine and he pre-cut everything the night before. It was cut so that it folded around the edges on the hood but not the edges of the fenders (like where they meet the door) im not sure you can do that because you cant get behind there and press it down on the back side. Both my cars are silver and you can see the line but you would have to be looking at it from 3 inches away before you could see it. If he said hes going to cut the stuff on your car I would run and find another guy.
Usually the custom stuff gets cut on the car. He didn't tell me he was going to cut it on my car. I was just asking you guys. I would never let anyone cut that stuff on the car even if they were the best. But if the machine can add a little extra in the cut pieces to wrap them around the edges that is fine too.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

My car is black, it's interesting the clear bra porsche put on the rear side panels was barely visible to me even though it's just smacked right on there.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

You should definitely get it. I've got it on my car, although I added a few more areas. I've got clear bra on the rear fender flares, underneath the intake vents. That area picks up lots of chips. I've also got it on the edges of the doors and on the edges of the wheel arches.

I didn't get my headlights done, but I'm thinking of adding it there.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:48 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You should definitely get it. I've got it on my car, although I added a few more areas. I've got clear bra on the rear fender flares, underneath the intake vents. That area picks up lots of chips. I've also got it on the edges of the doors and on the edges of the wheel arches.

I didn't get my headlights done, but I'm thinking of adding it there.
The rear fender flares under the vents already have it on mine. I've noticed my relative's 911 4S and my father's GTS has the same. So I'm assuming porsche is putting them there already?

Quick Reply: clear bra