Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:13 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

This was helpful during my research, so adding on my experience. Just added the Xpel clear bra for my 997.1 TT. Bought the car used with 20k miles and no clear bra, but the paint was in fantastic condition. Had the shop do two minor touch-up's on pinpoint-sized rock chips, then had them apply the full clear bra kit (full bumper, hood, mirrors). I was going to do a full detail myself, most notably, wash/clay bar/polish before the cover went on, but the dealer threw it in (for what I paid, they should...). Locally, the dealer was the best quality installer I could find. Not cheap, but the finished product looks great, and had some fun trying out PDK on my loaner while they finished the job (PDK was fine, but think I'll stick with MT, thanks). Meanwhile, can't see any trace of the cover. Very pleased, and worry less driving around.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
This was helpful during my research, so adding on my experience. Just added the Xpel clear bra for my 997.1 TT. Bought the car used with 20k miles and no clear bra, but the paint was in fantastic condition. Had the shop do two minor touch-up's on pinpoint-sized rock chips, then had them apply the full clear bra kit (full bumper, hood, mirrors). I was going to do a full detail myself, most notably, wash/clay bar/polish before the cover went on, but the dealer threw it in (for what I paid, they should...). Locally, the dealer was the best quality installer I could find. Not cheap, but the finished product looks great, and had some fun trying out PDK on my loaner while they finished the job (PDK was fine, but think I'll stick with MT, thanks). Meanwhile, can't see any trace of the cover. Very pleased, and worry less driving around.

Look around the fender edges and top of the hood. You'll see a trace then . lol
Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Look around the fender edges and top of the hood. You'll see a trace then . lol
Actually, on many edges (e.g front hood, fenders), they wrapped around underneath, so the seem is not visible. True, from a few inches away, there are spots where you can see them (e.g. parts of lower bumper), but in all, it was a really clean install, and a big upgrade from rock chips!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:09 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Actually, on many edges (e.g front hood, fenders), they wrapped around underneath, so the seem is not visible. True, from a few inches away, there are spots where you can see them (e.g. parts of lower bumper), but in all, it was a really clean install, and a big upgrade from rock chips!
Yea some installers will get it closer than others. But there is no way to wrap around edges on this car with the exception of the hood.

I mean your finger won't fit in the gap between the fender and front bumper, or fender and door. So unless they remove the fenders, it's basically impossible to wrap those. But some get it pretty close to the edge. Mine is like right up there. Same with the top of my hood and some parts of my front bumper.

Either you gotta stare at it from like 2 inches away, or if the car has a lot of pollen or dust on it, you can see the line.

xpel is awesome. The next car I get, I'm wrapping the whole thing so I don't have to worry about the paint. Probably will do their matte clear bra.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone who a good cost effective clear bra installer in the bay area?

Quick Reply: clear bra