Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 PO430 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014 | 10:26 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Default OBD2 PO430 code

I've had this code pop up on other cars I've owned and it's usually the gas cap, so yesterday I checked and the gas cap was a little loose. So I tightened it and after about 70 miles of driving it popped on again.

According to OBD2 codes, basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly There is an exhaust leak

I'm guessing since it came on again after the gas cap was tightened it is something else. I do have an aftermarket BBI exhaust with cats so those are only 2 years old and there is no way the cat is bad. Guessing 02 sensor, really doubt there is an exhaust leak.

Curious if there is a way to check the O2 sensors myself? Or if any of you have another recommendations before I take it to the dealer. Also any thoughts on driving the car while the CEL is on, wouldn't want to make anything worse.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014 | 01:57 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a cat may be bad if you are just getting this years after an exhaust install. You should verify you dont have any other leaks in the exhuast system.

The code is pretty common so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but would get it checked out.

Hope that helps,

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 09-02-2014 | 02:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Is your car tuned? Don't discount that your cat has failed. Failed in the terms of no longer being able to function enough. What is the manufacture of your CAT matrix and size? 100 cell or 200 cell. 5" diameter of 6" diameter, if smaller than 5 inches and less than 200 cells, your CAT might be/is "inefficient" and thus failing.

Disclaimer, you have leaked tested your system, and your O2 sensor is installed correctly and working.
Old 09-02-2014 | 02:57 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Sounds like a cat may be bad if you are just getting this years after an exhaust install. You should verify you dont have any other leaks in the exhuast system.

The code is pretty common so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but would get it checked out.

Hope that helps,

-Mitch
Originally Posted by Kevin
Is your car tuned? Don't discount that your cat has failed. Failed in the terms of no longer being able to function enough. What is the manufacture of your CAT matrix and size? 100 cell or 200 cell. 5" diameter of 6" diameter, if smaller than 5 inches and less than 200 cells, your CAT might be/is "inefficient" and thus failing.

Disclaimer, you have leaked tested your system, and your O2 sensor is installed correctly and working.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the car is tuned. It has the Evolution Motorsports EVT580 package.

Cats have about 12,500 miles on them after about 22 months of use. They are BBI 70mm HJS 100 cell cats. I have not leak tested the car (not sure how). I did just pass emissions last month.

If I do need new cats, any recommendation?
Old 09-02-2014 | 03:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your measurements for the HJS 70mm is incorrect. It better be over 120mm in diameter.. We are talking about the cat diameter vs the piping diameter..

I can tell you with near 100% of my testing on my engines and cars that the 100 cell German cats will fail with the 997TT.. The only 100 cell cats that work on the 997TT are diameters larger than 150mm.. 200 cell HJS at over 130mm do work past 3 to 5 years.. Based on what I have tested and seen. The 100 cell units are not lasting over 2 years. Many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers hare using 100 cat diameters LESS than 130mm and they are quickly failing> 1 year of service or less. Buyer beware..

If you bought the exhaust with the disclaimer of OFF ROAD use only, this puts you in a hard spot.. You will spend $750 each for the 200 cell HJS 132mm cat.
Old 09-02-2014 | 03:37 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Your measurements for the HJS 70mm is incorrect. It better be over 120mm in diameter.. We are talking about the cat diameter vs the piping diameter..

I can tell you with near 100% of my testing on my engines and cars that the 100 cell German cats will fail with the 997TT.. The only 100 cell cats that work on the 997TT are diameters larger than 150mm.. 200 cell HJS at over 130mm do work past 3 to 5 years.. Based on what I have tested and seen. The 100 cell units are not lasting over 2 years. Many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers hare using 100 cat diameters LESS than 130mm and they are quickly failing> 1 year of service or less. Buyer beware..

If you bought the exhaust with the disclaimer of OFF ROAD use only, this puts you in a hard spot.. You will spend $750 each for the 200 cell HJS 132mm cat.
Yeah i'm thinking that is the problem now. I spoke with Sam at Evo Motorsports of Scottsdale and he said it's a known problem that many of the 100cell cats can't handle the heat and power. So what you mentioned above he said would be best. I do have a bit of a rattle now that I think about it so the cat may be toast. Looks like HJS is the option for replacement. Hope I can do one now and one later. Not sure if that makes a huge difference.

Now I need a shop recommendation in NJ since the dealer would be off the list for replacing aftermarket parts.
Old 09-02-2014 | 03:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can't do one now and one side later.. You pay to play.. Send the exhaust to BBI and have them weld on 200 cell HJS units..
Old 09-02-2014 | 03:58 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

You can't do one now and one side later.. You pay to play.. Send the exhaust to BBI and have them weld on 200 cell HJS units..
Was sort of kidding lol. Hmm not a bad idea, but BBI is in Cali, i'm in NJ.
Old 09-02-2014 | 04:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Put the stock exhaust on for now.. Then send your exhaust for repair to BBi.
Old 09-02-2014 | 04:52 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Put the stock exhaust on for now.. Then send your exhaust for repair to BBi.
don't have one, bought it aftermarket with the setup
Old 09-02-2014 | 05:27 PM
sidwin
Pro

man that's a lot of work.... to test it i would simply get an anti fouler spark plug tool from autozone, then drill it out to fit an o2 sensor. that would take the spark plug away from the exhaust stream. if the CEL doesn't come back then u know it was the cat not being efficient. i've seen other companies sell the anti o2 fouler that doesn't require drilling. i used it for my cobb tuned sti and it worked great and i had no cats at all

sid
Old 09-02-2014 | 08:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Bad cat. Bbi should replace.
Old 09-04-2014 | 11:01 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by sidwin
man that's a lot of work.... to test it i would simply get an anti fouler spark plug tool from autozone, then drill it out to fit an o2 sensor. that would take the spark plug away from the exhaust stream. if the CEL doesn't come back then u know it was the cat not being efficient. i've seen other companies sell the anti o2 fouler that doesn't require drilling. i used it for my cobb tuned sti and it worked great and i had no cats at all

sid
Not familiar with the anti-fouler, thanks for the info. Found this online, so should be a good help to test. Def want to make sure it's the cats before I assume anything else.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...cel-light.html

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Bad cat. Bbi should replace.
likely it's out of warranty, have to follow up with bbi again. Also since i'm not the original purchaser not sure if that helps the case. I do have the receipt tho

Out of curiosity, if the cat is bad I assume, I the interior of the cat is deteriorating and could restrict airflow. Any idea if it's bad to drive with the CEL? Going to take some time to get everything tested and order new parts if needed. Hate not driving my car
Old 09-04-2014 | 11:35 AM
Steamboat
Instructor

Hi-flow cats often deteriorate within 20,000 miles - less so if they are exposed to extreme temps as in track work. Mine lasted <15,000 miles and the core had actually melted and extruded from the back. In addition to CEL's, a bad cat will increase EGT's and back pressure due to flow restrictions. This can cause the ECU to put the car into a "soft" limp mode, ie, will self-correct when temps revert to spec and can make diagnosing the intermittent problem difficult. In my case, it did not throw an error code although you apparently have one. Good luck,
Old 09-04-2014 | 01:02 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steamboat
Hi-flow cats often deteriorate within 20,000 miles - less so if they are exposed to extreme temps as in track work. Mine lasted <15,000 miles and the core had actually melted and extruded from the back. In addition to CEL's, a bad cat will increase EGT's and back pressure due to flow restrictions. This can cause the ECU to put the car into a "soft" limp mode, ie, will self-correct when temps revert to spec and can make diagnosing the intermittent problem difficult. In my case, it did not throw an error code although you apparently have one. Good luck,
Good to know. Since they were in AZ, obvious high temps. No racing history. Def don't want limp mode. Guess I'll let it sit quietly until I can diagnose the issue. I've never driven a car so much, I have 2 others but they are just resting because I can't not drive the turbo.

Also for replacement O2 sensors, anyone have recommendations where to get good pricing, seems they run around $250/ea

Last edited by Ibanezgod; 09-04-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: OBD2 PO430 code