Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my car totaled?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my car totaled?

Hey guys, on Saturday night, while going home, I was hit on my right rear quarter and made me spin out at least 5 or 6 times before ending up on the other side of the freeway. While spinning, I went over a dirt center divider that left all the plants and dirt inside my engine bay and underneath my car. The worst part is, the lady that caused the accident fled the scene... luckily the LAPD were couple cars behind us but couldn't chase after her cause while I was spinning all the cars on the freeway stomped on their brakes to avoid hitting me. The cop came running to my door to help me out of the car cause I was too dazed to get my self out. What do you guys think of the damage? My insurance agent put in the claim today in the morning so im hoping to hear back from my insurance company soon.

Last edited by kchu221; 08-06-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Boy oh boy...glad you are ok. That is by far the most important thing...

The car maybe repairable and it is hard to tell from the photos. But once this accident shows up on CarFax that car will be difficult to resell!!

Unless you are emotionally attached to that car, if you have any way of influencing the final decision on total vs repair get the car "totalled" and walk away. (Of course, the numbers will have to work out. )

Just FYI...the car will have a diminished value no matter who/what/how it is repaired.

Sorry...but if you had the choice of a perfect car versus one in an accident which one would you take?

For reference, I wrecked my 6GT2, and decide to repair it since I was attached to it...$30k later I had the car perfectly done but I got killed when I went to sell that car...wish I had kept her.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Since you posted twice, I'll post twice...

Sorry to hear about the accident! Not a "total loss" by a country mile, unless the engine is toast. It will take some repair though.

New quarter panel, bumper, door, skirt, wheel and tires likely. Intercooler piping, other parts under the skin will also probably need to be replaced. And make sure that you check the multilink rear suspension very, very carefully. There is likelihood of damage to the control arms and sub-frame.

Are those exhaust tips supposed to have that much of a gap from the opening in the bumper? Or did the engine get pushed while sliding over the divider? Does the car start and run with no warning lights, other than TPMS?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:30 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If the frame under the passenger door needs to be pulled out or the rear quarter is replaced rather then fixed, it will be considered a total loss. I am no expert - just regurgitating info that was fed to me.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I have more body experience than most, and it doesn't look like a total on a $75k+ car to me. It's hard to know without looking at more closely, but it doesn't look THAT bad.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with Scott, I doubt they'll total that, but I would pursue a diminished value claim with the ins co.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sorry to see this. I also noticed the tips being shifted. For those more knowledgable, if the engine has been damaged would that constitute a totaled vehicle?

OP Best of luck, I hope this either gets repaired to your satisfaction or you get a nice check to go shopping for a replacement.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

That should all buff out just fine. As others have said, as long as there is no engine, transmission or major suspension damage, it does not look like a total loss.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 PM
kchu221
Banned

Thanks guys! just from a glance after the accident, I saw that my right rear strut was literally snapped in half... also, the car didn't turn on when I had to move it out of the freeway...
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM
kchu221
Banned

Hey guys sorry for the stupid question but what does a diminished value compensation mean??
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

borderline total...

60% of market value is all that is require to total a car. In this case 42k worth of repair should about do it.

right off the bat i can see that the entire back half of the car is going to be need to be painted. Then add the front fender in the mix. that's now 2/3rd of the car. i would push to get the rest of the car done if that is the case. Only the hood, front bumper, driver door and fender is left. Even if they wouldn't do it, i'll pay to get the entire car done and pull the glass, trim.

The passenger door jam is a PITA. i've rebuilt a car that had similar damage. That rear fender is going to have to be cut out of there and welded in. The door skin is going to need replacing. Most rather get a new entire door so the fitment would be better.

Add the fact is is a P-car, i would be willing to make a small wager the paint and body work will be easily $25k-30k. Add suspension, intercooler, etc... That's going to be $10-15k. so high side $45k low side $35k.

What you need to do now is make sure you have a shop you can trust that will work with the adjuster. You have to be prepared to go to war. I get my quotes before they even come knocking on my door. I pay for the quote but i make sure they are 100% thorough. I want to see every nut, clip, bolt, etc put on that quote with both list and discounted prices. Take the quote and turn around and send to suncoast for pricing. I talk to the adjuster and make sure he understands what is going on and what you are expecting to see.

Me personally, i would rather see the car totaled and sold at auction. These days with carfax and all that other crap, you have to go through way to much to explain to potential buyers what happened. I wouldn't want to own a car that has 30k worth of repairs even if it is done right because like others are saying, it is never going to be worked $75k again. Even if it is repaired perfect and you replace all gaskets, trim and almost make it new again, that car will sell 20% less than one that hasn't been involved in such a wreck.

I've been around cars forever and family members own body shops. Sorry to deliver news like this but like i said be prepared so insurance company won't take advantage of you.

sid
Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...surance-claim/

looks like that might be difficult since it was a hit and run. you might be able to do something if you bought uninsured motorist property damage coverage. i'm going to have to look at mine. i don't think i added that but so far everytime i've made a claim on my collector policy it has been my fault.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

might be it different by state? I am certain that in NY/NJ, if you cut out a rear quarter on a non-cabrio (where they bolt on) or have to do anything to the door jam, its an automatic salvage title.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the added info and Sids input, I'd say it's totaled. Take it to a shop of your choice, make sure the guy does high end cars and is aware of your "desired result", put it that way.
Most body shop guys know the score and will play ball, that's the real world nonpc truth.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM
kchu221
Banned

thank you guys very much! the car will be picked up from the tow lot and taken to a body shop of my choice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my car totaled?