Sponsored by:

Is my car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kchu221
thank you guys very much! the car will be picked up from the tow lot and taken to a body shop of my choice!
Sucks that this happened to you...gald to hear you are physically ok.

Hopefully this all works out in your favour! G/L!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not an automotive damage appraisal expert but I have had multiple cars hit and pursued two separate diminished value claims for accident damage.

In my non-expert opinion I think the insurance company will fight totaling that car. Furthermore I think they will pay diminished value (if pushed) but they will not pay anywhere near what you think that diminished value amount should be unless you are willing to litigate the matter.

I hope it doesn't go that way, but I suspect it might.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

like ray said. you need to get prepared. get those quotes lined up. talk to the adjuster before he comes out and explain to him what you have... explain how much you bought it for and show him prices of existing ones. times like these makes me feel better i have a collector policy with an agreed value. first part is establishing what the value is. 2nd part is how much damage. problem with these adjusters is they are paid % of what they write and they don't want to write a lot on the first visit because it makes them look bad. Then they come back and write a supplement when it makes it to the body shop. that's why you have to have your quotes ready before he gets there.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
like ray said. you need to get prepared. get those quotes lined up. talk to the adjuster before he comes out and explain to him what you have... explain how much you bought it for and show him prices of existing ones. times like these makes me feel better i have a collector policy with an agreed value. first part is establishing what the value is. 2nd part is how much damage. problem with these adjusters is they are paid % of what they write and they don't want to write a lot on the first visit because it makes them look bad. Then they come back and write a supplement when it makes it to the body shop. that's why you have to have your quotes ready before he gets there.
What kind of quotes are you talking about?? how much it will be to have the car fixed?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Have your car transported to the body shop where, if repairable, you would want the work done, and schedule the adjuster to meet you there to go over the car with you and the body shop guy. That way everyone will be clear on what needs to be done to repair the car. If the car is not repairable, the insurance company will take possession of your car and you can then start your evaluation of your cars "actual cash value". For that you need to document KBB and other book values, professional appraisals, dealership, AutoTrader and individual selling prices of cars similar to yours in make, model, mileage and condition, as well as PCA and valuation guides. Once you get that done, you can start the negotiation process with the adjuster.

Last edited by parkerfe; 08-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

like ray said. you need to get prepared. get those quotes lined up. talk to the adjuster before he comes out and explain to him what you have... explain how much you bought it for and show him prices of existing ones.
That's a good plan ^^

What kind of quotes are you talking about?? how much it will be to have the car fixed?
All inclusive quotes to have the car fixed in a manner that you want (i.e. no used parts, panel replacement vs. repair, total repaint not just a blend, etc.). You also want to let them know right off the bat what the car was worth (before the accident) and what the car will be worth after it is 100% repaired and you must bring documentation from experts to verify your diminished value (in spite of the fact that they will try to dismiss your info).

Edit - Make sure they are aware that your door is aluminum and not the regular steel 997 C2 door.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Painful to even look at, but glad you are OK. 110 freeway downtown near 4th St?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Kchu221, I'm glad that you are okay. The car has done it's job. I have been involved with MANY Porsche totals and non totals over a 30 plus year period. In this day and age, you become a number and a dollar sign. The body shop WANTS the monies. The cars that are on the edge of being written off will NOT be written off. I have seen Porsche turbo get put on the frame rack (which your car needs) and the insurance company comes and writes the estimate AND give the okay to fix. 2 days later, the car is written off because the wiring harness is damaged and Porsche Germany does not have one and it's 4 to 6 month OUT.. There is a percentage of damage vs actual cash payout>> car repair, car value, medical, rental car, and attorney fees.

I will say (my opinion) with the damage that you have, I would not want the car back. Your passenger side sill is pushed in, you most likely have under body/carriage damage. Plastic broken, A/C lines crushed. The internal rear quarter panel/996 widebody interior structure is most likely pushed in. I see 20 hours at least on the frame rack. I would bet that the internal side to side width of the car is impacted>door panel hitting dash or rear interior panel. Air bags that have deployed wreck a perfect interior.

There is a Rennlist thread 996TT showing a similar hit on the drivers side. Major rebuild>insurance company repaired>many 6 plus to get the car back ( and this was years ago).. I might be able to find the thread. Don't get hosed on the value, do your research and get help. The bodyshop will make it or break it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
With the added info and Sids input, I'd say it's totaled. Take it to a shop of your choice, make sure the guy does high end cars and is aware of your "desired result", put it that way.
Most body shop guys know the score and will play ball, that's the real world nonpc truth.
I agree with Chris. I can't imagine the car can be repaired to it's original value and condition without a serious investment. A compensatory totaled value would have to be the only sensible decision.

Jay
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

So sorry about your misfortune buddy. I recall you just picked it up like a couple months ago too. I hope everything works out in your favor.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pay a body shop to give you the most thorough quote you have ever seen. tell him you are willing to pay for it. tell him you want every nut and bolt, fitting, etc. Make sure he is an authorized repair shop for your insurance company. If he isn't, you will need to get 2 quotes.

I'm always straight up and honest with the adjuster. I know he's trying to make a $$$ and we both know the game. i explain to him that this is a $140k car. i show him all the cars on autotrader and porsche CPO that is comparable to what you have. I have everything laid out in a spreadsheets and quotes before he even gets there. I give him all of it electronically and print out. I tell him i'm just trying to help him do what he needs to do but in the end i've made an investment in this car that I stand to seriously lose.

If you aren't prepared, then get ready to just throw the keys and pay the deductible. it's really that simple. Be prepared to get what's is fair or walk in and get blindsided.

Wait until you decided to get the car repaired... the bodyshop part is by far the worse..... dates promised, expectations never met, you'll forget you own the car. I had one that took 14 months to get it damn near perfect. My painter told me everyone wants, faster, perfect, affordable. He said pick two out of the 3 or just 1...

sid
Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
kchu221
Banned

pay a body shop to give you the most thorough quote you have ever seen. tell him you are willing to pay for it. tell him you want every nut and bolt, fitting, etc. Make sure he is an authorized repair shop for your insurance company. If he isn't, you will need to get 2 quotes.

I'm always straight up and honest with the adjuster. I know he's trying to make a $$$ and we both know the game. i explain to him that this is a $140k car. i show him all the cars on autotrader and porsche CPO that is comparable to what you have. I have everything laid out in a spreadsheets and quotes before he even gets there. I give him all of it electronically and print out. I tell him i'm just trying to help him do what he needs to do but in the end i've made an investment in this car that I stand to seriously lose.

If you aren't prepared, then get ready to just throw the keys and pay the deductible. it's really that simple. Be prepared to get what's is fair or walk in and get blindsided.

Wait until you decided to get the car repaired... the bodyshop part is by far the worse..... dates promised, expectations never met, you'll forget you own the car. I had one that took 14 months to get it damn near perfect. My painter told me everyone wants, faster, perfect, affordable. He said pick two out of the 3 or just 1...

sid
Thank you very much Sid! you've been a great help! the adjuster is coming out today to take a look at the car, well see what happens...
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow brother I'm glad you are okay. You are very fortunate.

Although for some reason I cannot see the pictures it sounds pretty bad to me.. I would push for a total of the car. It will never be the same and not worth anything either.
Good luck and remember you are in a war with the insurance company..
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 PM
Cameronc08
Intermediate

Kevin, this is terrible! So glad you're ok and I hope everything turns out in your favor. Was really hoping to see your car in person one of these days. Looks like a trip to Autotalent is in order. My car is still there. If your car does end up being totaled out, maybe I'll get to see you rolling in a 997.2tts, or an m4 instead!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

...I agree and as I said earlier if you can "influence" Total that's what you should try and do. I got hosed after I repaired my 6GT2

...since you are in so-cal you may want to call LA Dismantlers. They may be able to "help" you? Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is my car totaled?