997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issues - Need help with a diagnosis

Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No, just don't have it engaged while you do it. Easy DIY.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Whatever paul
Don't call me doc, it's condescending, ok.
I thought i was being respectful. So what do you prefer then?

Edit. PS..forgot to answer your question sorry. Like yourself I always ran stock. Didn't find the problem plus I was not that convinced the pagids were doing anything better other than making a lot of squealing noises. Also always nice to be able to drive home in a car not making horrible squealing noises that drew attention to the car as having something worn out in the brakes iykwim? Gotta say I am intrigued at how you got so much life out of your discs and then there is that stock clutch with a tune that was still perfect when you sold it 80K miles later. Extraordinary! Not having any slippage with street use is unusual enough in itself least of all running under sustained power conditions during track use. So surely you can understand my logical questioning you on that.

Last edited by speed21; 05-17-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:19 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, just don't have it engaged while you do it. Easy DIY.
Ok. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Jay, think about a two piece rotor in the future. See how this goes and how far you want to take this. Have fun.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock rotors are so cheap and a consumable, I'd just change them as required,mail though the 2 piece is a good idea. I went through at least 3-4 sets on my old car, not a big deal at all.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:36 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Jay, think about a two piece rotor in the future. See how this goes and how far you want to take this. Have fun.
Thanks. With how it went last year and the increased fun with the increased car control and understanding that is happening this year I have a feeling I'll want to just keep going and going and going….. Went back to mosport today to watch a GT3 cup race, learned a lot watching their lines. Amazing how they carry momentum. I'll wear out this set of rotors then make a decision about changing from stock. Just don't want to move through my "upgrades" too quickly, want to be able to appreciate each individual change.

The stock rotors are so cheap and a consumable, I'd just change them as required,mail though the 2 piece is a good idea. I went through at least 3-4 sets on my old car, not a big deal at all.
Yea, the stock rotors and pads are definitely a good price. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the squeak of the Pagids for my daily driving, that in itself may just force me to stay on the stock pads and rotors.

I really appreciate everyones input
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 7 plus years on my stock 996 rotors, tons of track days , the key is frequent pad and fluid changes. I'm still on my factory rotors on my 997 tt, same thing frequent pad changes and fluid. Of course having a full shop here in Texas helps lol

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension issues - Need help with a diagnosis