Sponsored by:

Review.. "Function First" tranny bushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Review.. "Function First" tranny bushing

I had the bushings installed last week and today is the first time I have driven the car at speed on a twisty road.

I'm really impressed! The shifts are smother. The car is tight with less roll. The sound (to me) is awesome. It's very "viceral". At cruising speed you don't get any sound or vibration. But going through the lower gears at WOT it's very noticeable.. Especially first gear. I can't explain why but when you accelerate in first gear the car almost feels normally aspirated..

I drove on a road that I know very well and I couldn't believe how much better the car felt. I'm by no means a great driver but I can drive fast comfortably. When hit the apex the car reacted so much better out of the corner..Just felt more "Planted"..

I know my car so well and I trust it..But now I can trust it even more!

I highly recommend this mod to anyone who like to drive in the canyons or does and occasional track day. If you just drive your car on Sunday and never get on the limit then mod this would be pointless

I have the stiffer version..

Just wanted to pass this along to anyone who has been thinking of installing these..
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

That's cool. Thanks for the review. I want to do this but am not interested in anymore noise so I'm still debating.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

Phillip...I trust you 100%...BUT...it is hard to imagine this much of a difference! Wow!
I wonder if you started with worn (bad?) bushings?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I just installed the yellow street version of these. The change is not as dramatic as Phillip noted but the improvement is noticeable. The drive train is better located and every thing is tighter. What I like about it most is the enhanced mechanical noise transmitted to the cabin, and I mean that in a positive way, more exhaust noise (mines stock) and more mechanical noise. Cruising it's not noticeable but when you nail it, it just sounds better.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting feedback guys. I've been also considering semi solid engine mounts.

What was total cost with install?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM
550bryan
Pro

Tom, I installed mine when I had my Sachs 2.5 clutch installed so no cost beyond the part for me. The installation doesn't look to complicated on it's own, probably takes an hour or so. I was considering the motor mounts as well but I could get them in time and it has allowed me to evaluate the impact of the trans mount on it's own. I think I may still do the engine mounts in the future. I'm on the fence on an exhaust, given the chickensh*t rules in Calif it's not really legal. If I do install an exhaust I'll probably do the engine mounts at the same time.
BTW, little or no compromises with the Sachs clutch. It may grab slight more at launch, but that may be the result of a brand new disc as much as the clutch change and it seems to have softened a bit after a couple of hundred miles. My car is currently stock but it nice to know I won't have to screw around with the clutch in the future should I decide to "upgrade".
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 550bryan
Tom, I installed mine when I had my Sachs 2.5 clutch installed so no cost beyond the part for me. The installation doesn't look to complicated on it's own, probably takes an hour or so. I was considering the motor mounts as well but I could get them in time and it has allowed me to evaluate the impact of the trans mount on it's own. I think I may still do the engine mounts in the future. I'm on the fence on an exhaust, given the chickensh*t rules in Calif it's not really legal. If I do install an exhaust I'll probably do the engine mounts at the same time. BTW, little or no compromises with the Sachs clutch. It may grab slight more at launch, but that may be the result of a brand new disc as much as the clutch change and it seems to have softened a bit after a couple of hundred miles. My car is currently stock but it nice to know I won't have to screw around with the clutch in the future should I decide to "upgrade".
Thanks and I agree with your approach. Take small steps to enjoy and evaluate each mod. Give the clutch a few more hundred miles to seat itself. I still think the hydraulic assist sucks!

Why are you worried about exhaust. You'll have no problems with smog.

FYI your car is no longer stock
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
Phillip...I trust you 100%...BUT...it is hard to imagine this much of a difference! Wow!
I wonder if you started with worn (bad?) bushings?
I know it sounds like I'm exagerating but i'm not. It really makes a big difference.

Like Bryan said the noise under acceleration is "mechanical". It's really quite cool.

And no my transmission bushing was absolutely fine. You just don't realize how much flex is happening with the stock set up until you stiffen it up..

If you drove with me you would feel it. The car is way more "accurate" without that flex..
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by eurotom
Interesting feedback guys. I've been also considering semi solid engine mounts.

What was total cost with install?
Tom.

Install will be an hour labor. So I guess it depends on where you have it done.. I paid $150 for the install and trouble shooting the squeak in my shifter.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 PM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by eurotom
Thanks and I agree with your approach. Take small steps to enjoy and evaluate each mod. Give the clutch a few more hundred miles to seat itself. I still think the hydraulic assist sucks!

Why are you worried about exhaust. You'll have no problems with smog.

FYI your car is no longer stock
Tom, I agree with you about the hydraulic assist. The roadster in my avatar has a Getrag 6 speed and the clutch is a monster as is the hydraulic clutch in another 32 Ford hot rod I own. The light clutch in the TT has no feel and really screws me up when I climb into one of my hotrods. They felt like normal racy clutches before now they just feel heavy.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by phillipj
I know it sounds like I'm exagerating but i'm not. It really makes a big difference.

Like Bryan said the noise under acceleration is "mechanical". It's really quite cool.

And no my transmission bushing was absolutely fine. You just don't realize how much flex is happening with the stock set up until you stiffen it up..

If you drove with me you would feel it. The car is way more "accurate" without that flex..
I think Function First got it right. Phillips black racing version is suppose to be more aggressive, my yellow street version is suppose to be softer. The results, a tighter drive train with more mechanical and exhaust noises transmitted to the cabin (think GT3) are more pronounced in the racing version. At least in my softer version the results are positive with no significant compromise in NVH. I can imagine how cool Phillip's car must sound and feel, and if his compromise in NVH is also acceptable his would be the better choice.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Yeah and no one rides with me anyway lol! So i like the noise!

My passenger seat looks new!

Bryan, perhaps one day you can drive my car and see the difference between the two variants..

Great review by the way.. You described it perfectly..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the feedback, I'm interested in the comparison between the two options.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 AM
eNVy997tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread revival, how are everyone's thoughts on this to date? My clutch is done and figured this may be something I want to do while it's out? Guess if also need to decide on the stiffer or less of the two as well. Thoughts from owners, please chime in.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 AM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by eNVy997tt
Thread revival, how are everyone's thoughts on this to date? My clutch is done and figured this may be something I want to do while it's out? Guess if also need to decide on the stiffer or less of the two as well. Thoughts from owners, please chime in.
I have the softer yellow street version and am happy with it. Of course I've only experienced my version so I can't compare. It's a matter of degree, the mount is stiffened resulting in less movement of the trans/engine and a big plus for me, more mechanical noise transmitted into the cabin. The car just sounds better, more purposeful. Perhaps Phillip can chime in, he has the stiffer version (maybe I should be jealous)......

Quick Reply: Review.. "Function First" tranny bushing