Sponsored by:

Review.. "Function First" tranny bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Envy,

No need to have the clutch out do do the mod. It's very simple and about 30 minutes labor.

I have not experienced the softer version only the stiff one. I really like everything about it. Better handling, better shifting and a great kind of GT3 type raw sound from the engine.

If you want the quiet of the stock TT don't do this mod. If you like to drive fast on windy roads this is a great mod.. If you are no into spirited driving than this bushing would be pointless..
Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Revival! Be interested to know if the sentiment expressed at the beginning is still held? How do you feel about the sound/feel now? Has the performance degraded at all over time?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Revival! Be interested to know if the sentiment expressed at the beginning is still held? How do you feel about the sound/feel now? Has the performance degraded at all over time?
Just drove my car yesterday and remember noticing the difference the trans mount makes from a mechanical noise standpoint, and it's all good. No change at all, and given the design I wouldn't expect any degradation for a long time if ever. Went back and reviewed mine and Phillips observations and it all still holds. Great mod.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to Hijack...But just another data point...Another option is the Torque Solutions full Transmission inserts. They have 75A and 95A Durometer bushing inserts. On these you replace the OEM (not just add to).

I have had the 75A (black) on mine for a while. Makes a huge difference, and does add some NVH to the car, but I like it! Sounds/feels more like a race car....and not sloppy in shifts...very solid.

I also added the RSS Semi-Solid Motor mounts as well...and together it is very solid now...It felt a bit "slushy" before. Definitely more vibrating, but not bad (personal taste though). And very sharp and crisp now...especially under hard acceleration!

Just FYI.

DC

Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater

I still love it. I personally have no desire to add solid motor mounts to my car for the street. The car is already lowered and ride would be unbearable.. I have a friend with solid mounts and its horrible (to me.)

The Function first bushing is a good solution if you want a bit more of that viceral sound and better shifts and handling.

And no.. The performance has not degraded. Just raced a new M5 on one of my favorite canyon roads and I had to wait for him.. He was not pleased. He was a terrible driver and I know the road really well. So advantage to me!

Why is it Audi and BMW people only want to race on freeways?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88
Not to Hijack...But just another data point...Another option is the Torque Solutions full Transmission inserts. They have 75A and 95A Durometer bushing inserts. On these you replace the OEM (not just add to). I have had the 75A (black) on mine for a while. Makes a huge difference, and does add some NVH to the car, but I like it! Sounds/feels more like a race car....and not sloppy in shifts...very solid. I also added the RSS Semi-Solid Motor mounts as well...and together it is very solid now...It felt a bit "slushy" before. Definitely more vibrating, but not bad (personal taste though). And very sharp and crisp now...especially under hard acceleration! Just FYI. DC
Very happy with the rss mounts inexpensive and have made a significant difference
Old 02-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
Very happy with the rss mounts inexpensive and have made a significant difference

Do you also have the transmission inserts? If not, how would you describe the change with the RSS semi solid engine mounts?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I do not have the transmission inserts. Regarding the mounts first thing you'll notice an subtle increase in noise in the cabin along with added vibration. If your ac is on at idle its even more apparent. Some may not like it but I really enjoyed the change. I don't want to alarm you its a subtle change but still very noticeable for someone who knows the car. The most impressive change has to do with throttle sensitivity and response. The car behaves as if its in sports mode all the time.

I'm still shocked by how much of a change these inexpensive mounts have made to the car. I"m sure tramission mounts will only add to the experience.

Defnitely recommened!

Quick Reply: Review.. "Function First" tranny bushing