Sponsored by:

My turn...finally added a gt2!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2024, 08:29 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 391 Posts
Default My turn...finally added a gt2!

Man, seems like forever that I have wanted one of these! But as you all know there are not many around, and I favor the "skittles" colors so not many options out there. Plus, I've never been one who was willing to shell out for a collector piece/garage queen, so I just had to be patient for the right car to come around with "driver" miles, perhaps some "stories" in order to get a better price, and in a color I like! (yup, 1 of 29!). It only took about 4 years, but I finally found my car! Very, very, happy with it, and although it definitely needs some TLC, its nothing I can't tackle (with the help of a painter here and there!). My friends call me the "996 whisperer" and I intend to continue to be worthy of that moniker! Just drove it back to Phoenix from LA and it didn't miss a beat! (I had my code reader, tire inflator, and tool in tow, just in case...thankfully no hiccups, warning lights, or CEL's!).

Here are the vitals: 2003, SY, 63,000 miles, lifetime California car, absolutely bone stock with no mods whatsoever. Couple minor car fax hits but could not have been too major as all panels are original (as evidenced by the obviously 20-year old ppf everywhere). Appears to have no track history as there is none of the tell-tale track rash/pitting, and no evidence of the car ever having a harness bar. High, spec example ($197k sticker), with yellow deviated stitching and leather everywhere, large carbon fiber package (steering wheel, upper and lower center consoles, guage pod, dash strips, door panel parts, shifter, handbrake, door sill thresholds, ac vents, dash strips), perfect condition pccb's (with obviously new-er pads), cool deviated stitching/painted back euro buckets, yellow seat belts, and 2022 date code pilot sports (n-rated). No records! (long story, car hopped around a bit recently as the last "real" owner needed money and sold it to a friend who couldn't even drive a manual!). Drivetrain feels super solid! Little groan from the front end that I think may be tie rod ends. Suspension appears to be lowered to the bump stops, which explains the somewhat "crashy" ride over harsh bumps.

Very, very aged/cracking ppf everywhere (check out the photo to see what I've been dealing with...I'm legit 20 hours into the removal with a steam cleaner, but so far now pulled paint and the panels beneath are perfect!). Will need some paint work here and there to address some scratches and dents, (unless I can source a sy rear bumper and front fender to avoid the need for painting). Carbon steering wheel and ac vents are cracked so I'm going to tackle that using my two-part epoxy/dremel tool method I've refined over years of owning 996's with factory carbon bits. AC is blowing foam so I'll have to take out the dash to address the blend doors (did this on the gt3...here we go again!). Lots of little things to fix here and there...last owner clearly wasn't a "diy" type of guy. But that's party of the fun for me.

First mod was to install the function first shift right solution, as the oem shifter bushings were absolutely shot! Feels great now! (no tranny issues at all...and fluid was changed about 5k miles ago based on sharpie notes on the transmission!). Also installed a set of lloyds mats I had been keeping just waiting for this day. An exhaust, tune, 1 bar wastegates, and rs intercoolers are on the list, but for now I'm going to focus on maintenance and correcting all the little issues, and just enjoy it in stock form for a while before I start modding. But one thing I love about this car is that its not a virgin that I have to keep pristine and unadulterated! Already sourced some sport seats...I don't want the buckets in two cars...one is enough, so I'm probably going to sell the euros, sadly. But that will also score points with the wife, in addition

to fitting my 6'4" frame a little better.

The plan is to correct all the things that bug me or need repair, and then just drive the wheels off it with no regard to mileage. That's why I wanted one with miles/history (and a price commensurate with the same). I love how different it feels to the gt3. I plan to do a big post giving my impressions and comparing it to my other cars once I have more seat time, but for now suffice it to say that it feels like an absolute rocket. Due to the torque it feels way faster than my 3.9 gt3, even though the hp is not that much higher. The power and acceleration is just effortless, and very intoxicating. Its actually a bit scary/hairy when you come on boost in 2nd and third. I now understand why people say this car demands respect. Its not so much the power (460hp ain't exactly groundbreaking anymore)...its that amount of power in this relatively old school, no nannies, lightweight, rwd chassis! Its definitely quite the ride! And I love it as the perfect compliment to my gt3 (its also WAAAAAAAY quieter inside, which is a nice change from the "always killing your eardrums" gt3 that I'm always feeling the need to rap out to redline!). I still love the gt3, but this is sooooo different and I think it does compliment the gt3 just perfectly! And yes, no where near as responsive and eager to rev as the gt3, but that's part of why you need both!

For any of you on the fence, just do it. These cars do not get the credit they are due. Mezger motor, only 300 units for North America, still fast by modern standards, and drop dead gorgeous. With that combo they won't be "accessible" to normal folks (like me) for long!

(ps, from my online research this car was owned for 3 years and 30k miles by RL member "stuka". If any of you so cal peeps are still in contact with him or know him, I'd love to pick his brain (he hasn't been active on RL for years).
The following 13 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
Abby997 (Yesterday), brontosaurus (09-27-2024), ChaoticSquare (Yesterday), engerman (09-27-2024), Freier (Today), Marv (09-27-2024), Norge911 (09-27-2024), pirahna (09-27-2024), SaintGt2 (Yesterday), Sirenty (Yesterday), sp0da (Yesterday), TheDeckMan (Yesterday), widers911 (09-27-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2024, 08:41 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 97 Posts

Congrats Scott! Worth the wait, esp in yellow! There's just something about yellow 996s...
Old 09-27-2024, 08:47 PM
changster123
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

My god that car is gorgeous. A huge congratulations on your acquisition!! Man….

I can’t wait to hear more about your driving impressions, what’s needed and what can be left alone, etc etc.

Congrats again!!
Old 09-27-2024, 09:06 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 406 Posts

Long time coming, glad it all worked out. Congrats!
Old 09-27-2024, 10:12 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 355 Posts

I knew this day would come! Congrats dude!
Old 09-27-2024, 10:35 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 603 Posts

Oh, Scott, Scott, Scott. What have you done?

What an amazing find. I am glad you found your car. You certainly have been chomping at the bit long enough. A bit envious, but I know you will have a blast with it and you deserve it!!!

Keep us posted as you go. Congratulations, Scott!
Old 09-27-2024, 11:43 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Congratulations! Speed Yellow GT3s are the best.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 391 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! Fun to share our passion for these now 20-year old cars!
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, know you’ve been looking for awhile! Know the pain of the ppf on the headlights, torture.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

@changster123 this is a sign... it's only a matter of time until a gt2 makes its way into your garage

(i give financial advisors extra high bp)
The following users liked this post:
changster123 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Great colour! Great car! Congratulations!!!
Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM
changster123
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by engerman;[url=tel:19669937
19669937[/url]]@changster123 this is a sign... it's only a matter of time until a gt2 makes its way into your garage

(i give financial advisors extra high bp)
The peer pressure is strong here… lol
The following 2 users liked this post by changster123:
engerman (Yesterday), Marv (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
SaintGt2
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats. Nice pick up.

I’m 15 years in on mine and it never disappoints.
The following users liked this post:
changster123 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats Scott! Would love to find something like this. Tell us a little more about how you found the car, your process.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats Scott!

Quick Reply: My turn...finally added a gt2!