Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?

Love everything about how my tt drives and handles, am very disappointed in how my tt sounds both in the bose stereo, and more importantly in the exhaust note.

Thus am looking to upgrade both.

With regards to the exhaust I'm in the phase of driving myself crazy reading reviews and trying to get an idea of the sound through youtube and sh*t pc speakers. But I won't get into another :bang head: thread about this until I have some very specific questions for you guys (and girls).

What I do need from this forum is some info regarding potential warranty issues with aftermarket exhaust. This is the response I got from my dealer:

"Any aftermarket parts installed on a vehicle will void the warranty on the effected components. It does not void the complete warranty, but anything Porsche deems effected by the installed component would no longer be covered."

Then in trying to clarify what exactly that meant this is the response I got from the tuner affiliated with the dealer:

"I haven’t seen an exhaust upgrade void the engine warranty on a Porsche to date. I believe what they are trying to say is that if an 02 sensor, or turbo flange, or header breaks or needs repair, since it is attached to the aftermarket exhaust upgrade, Porsche would no longer cover this simply because it was no longer their part on the car. I know technically the exhaust is attached the engine, but I have not seen this happen in the past four years of working for x Tuning"

Based on this I was full go on picking an aftermarket exhaust until I read a comment on-line from someone:

"but porsche made it known on 997.2 that any modification of cats or anything before the cats will void warranties because it changes the needed back pressure to help clean out the DFI soot."

So now I don't know what to do. Really hoping someone can shed a little more light on this topic for me.

Thank you.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Jay, I have not seen any Porsche dealer refuse warranty work on a car because of an installation of an exhaust. I have seen them charge for service/labor to troubleshoot CEL from failing cats..

I have also heard rumors of Porsche gearing up for the sludge and soot build up on the intake valves.. We aren't there yet with the new DFI engine, but as the miles get higher on these cars >> intake valve service will be needed.

It will be a way for Porsche to deny warranty work for this job. If you need a exhaust, make sure and "if" you need your warranty, have a indy put the exhaust on, an have him reinstall it IF you ever need to clean your intake system/intake valves..

On a side note this would be the third time that I have heard a dealership mentioning this... It must be signs for the future with Porsche/VAG gearing up to what they have had to do with the Audi/VW line..
Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, they will void the warranty on a dfi engine. Also, the Siemens ecu will pull timing if determines back pressure is reduced. You can flash your ecu to get around this, but then the entire warranty is gone. That's how someone from pcna explained to me back when I had a 997.2tts and inquired. Porsche is cracking down on warranty claims on the new cars big time. If I had a 997.2 or 991tts, I'd leave it bone stock until the factory warranty ran out. They are a lot more liberal with the 997.1 cars that still have factory or cpo warranties for whatever reason.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Didn't know that about the DFI engines. Glad i a have a Mezger
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

It's not the engines perse, rather the soot/buildup on the intake side as Kevin mentioned, resulting in premature major engine work that they'd rather not warranty. Kinda like the old SAI in 993s.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting... Thanks for the clarification Chris..
Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Hmmmm. Not the answers I was hoping for! I guess it's good I asked though. Thanks all. No awesome sounding Porsche for me....
Old 04-05-2014, 05:55 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Now just don't tell me that changing out the crappy Bose speakers voids the engine warranty as well!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As much as I'd like to improve the exhaust sound too, Jay, I'm going to wait until 6/2016, when my CPO expires...Hopefully by then there will be more info regarding DFI "soot" on the intakes and how different exhausts affect it...

I just don't get why Porsche didn't offer a sport exhaust on these cars...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I need to wait until Fall 2017 when warranty expires. I just don't want to take the chance. Not only cost, but also time to deal with issues. At least I have the boost to get me going until then.

Bose is sub par as well, but that might have to do with the internal space, since I've been on. Burmeister equipped car and did not get impressed. If anyone has a good solution for Bose replacement/upgrade, it would be interesting to learn about. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by phillipj
Interesting... Thanks for the clarification Chris..
Just what an official at pcna told me in response to this question, nothing in writing. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the quality of the Bose, while I agree it could be better, the fact remains: Our cars have substantial tire noise. I can't imagine another stereo would make that disappear enough without cranking the volume to ear-ringing levels, something I've stopped doing...No matter how good the stereo can be improved, good luck overcoming the 997 tire roar. You'll have to step to a 991 for that to decrease.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If u do a search on your topic, there is a ton of threads addressing your concerns, especially when contemplating a flash and/or exhaust.

I'm in same boat as you and others. I have an aftermarket warranty that I don't want to void!

Check Champion Motorsport, they piggyback their own warranty to cover you if they install their own products.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta say i'd be surprised they could decline warranty due to an exhaust system unless the system itself presented like a dodgy POS….which admittedly so many seem to do…so on that note I guess fair call on Porsches count.

That said it would always get down to what the actual warranty claim was about. Now unless it could be conclusively proven the system actually caused the problem I think there would always be a legitimate case to argue.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Interesting point Speed21.
Roll the dice and potentially enjoy driving my car that much more every singe day vs risk that I'll loose v Porsche in a warranty claim. Something makes me thing the they will have better representation than me! Nonetheless I'm still contemplating it….

Quick Reply: AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?