Sponsored by:

AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Gentlemen, I am truly grateful for everyones input in this thread. I've learned a ton and am able to move forward with any decision in a much more informed manner. I agree that the meat of my OP has been sufficiently whipped out of this thread, but am still finding the digressed banter entertaining!

Cheers!

Jay
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why you edited out your words on your last post but don't worry Phil, you can rest assured I've been haven a LOT of fun.......and, fwiw I was only following your lead.

PS. And your name calling has been quite entertaining too. And here it was I thought you were the older here.

And to OP, thanks for a great thread!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am definitely in the minority but I could not be more pleased with the exhaust note of my TTS in sport and sport plus mode. Sounds like it means business without shouting, hey look at me.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Agreed the TTS sounds a lot better that the base TT..
Old 04-12-2014, 07:28 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I would agree that the .2TT was a far better effort than .1 ever was and, then .2TTS came out and stepped it up even more. That said with the TTS there was still room for improvement....hence why OP is asking questions.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
I am definitely in the minority but I could not be more pleased with the exhaust note of my TTS in sport and sport plus mode. Sounds like it means business without shouting, hey look at me.
I'm not sure if the TTs sounds significantly different than the TT. I test drove them both and found them too quiet. Had no interest in the PDK. Sound is very subjective. During my daily commute I too often I find myself longing for a louder note connecting my foot to my ears. But it's for me, for my connection with the car, not at all a "look at me" gesture.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
I'm not sure if the TTs sounds significantly different than the TT. I test drove them both and found them too quiet. Had no interest in the PDK. Sound is very subjective. During my daily commute I too often I find myself longing for a louder note connecting my foot to my ears. But it's for me, for my connection with the car, not at all a "look at me" gesture.
I'd have to agree. I have a car with 550+ bhp and I want to hear it. I only start caring what others hear if it's stupid loud. My EP isn't stupid loud.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Ok, so I went for it. Well, sort of.
I left the OEM cats and just went with Shark Werks exhaust from the cats back. Basically just a muffler delete. Kept my OEM tips as well.
My first impression from the outside of the car was "YES, FINALLY MY CAR SOUNDS LIKE A SPORTS CAR!". Basically everything is just amplified. The pitch and notes are pretty much the same, just with a bump in decibels. It sounds really sexy.
From inside, there is hardly a noticeable difference driving around 1500-2000RPM basically the same quiet composed daily driver. But when you kick it……… PURE MOZART! Ears filled with the sounds a 200k (CAD) sports car should make. In third when the turbo's are spooling up I am in heaven. Massive boost on my back and head full of an exhaust and turbo symphony. Gave me goose bumps!
I couldn't be happier. It's not a MASSIVE increase in volume, rather just the sound that I though it always should make.
Taking her to the track tomorrow. I'm sure anyone running behind me with appreciate the upgrade.
I'll let you guys know if it f@#ks up the engine and my warranty. Fingers crossed all is well in DFI land.

Thank you everyone for all your input. It was a fun and extremely informative thread.

-Jay
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes, they will void the warranty on a dfi engine. Also, the Siemens ecu will pull timing if determines back pressure is reduced. You can flash your ecu to get around this, but then the entire warranty is gone. That's how someone from pcna explained to me back when I had a 997.2tts and inquired. Porsche is cracking down on warranty claims on the new cars big time. If I had a 997.2 or 991tts, I'd leave it bone stock until the factory warranty ran out. They are a lot more liberal with the 997.1 cars that still have factory or cpo warranties for whatever reason.
Great info....i'm sure it prob due to the mezger engine
Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^Mezger trained Mozart!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

I guess I'll play the guinea pig. I'm definitely no automotive expert but I can't see the purpose of the muffler as providing essential back pressure to the engine. Especially not on a turbo car. I'll let you guys know if I have any engine problems. All warranty discussion aside I truly hope I'm not f#%king up my engine by taking off the rear muffler.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Jay, just to let you know, my dealership installed my Europipe Exhaust for me. They could not believe the quality of the craftsmanship involved in the exhaust. No warranty void at all I was told. So go ahead and upgrade the exhaust.

Jay
Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ23
Jay, just to let you know, my dealership installed my Europipe Exhaust for me. They could not believe the quality of the craftsmanship involved in the exhaust. No warranty void at all I was told. So go ahead and upgrade the exhaust.

Jay
Thanks for the post Jay, the 997.2 owners have been pretty quiet on all this, not sure if they just aren't doing any mods or are afraid to. TTsurgeon seems to have some insider knowledge on this from PCNA, but I've also heard quite a few people get the green light directly from their dealers. I love the sound I've gotten from the sharkwerks muffler delete, I'm sure yours sounds amazing especially with all the other mods you've done. I'm definitely envious of your car!

Quick Reply: AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?