Sponsored by:

Are 997.1 holding value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 AM
ageff91
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu930
I've been looking at 07 997tt prices over the past 2 years and I have noticed a slow but steady drop. I'm not looking at pristine examples, most are 2-3 owner cars with 45k-65k miles. 2 years ago you could not find one under 70k, most were hovering in the 75k range. At 70k, the car has already seen the bulk of it's depreciation. Now when I do a search I see a handful of ones under 60k but most are in low 60k range. With summer creeping up you will see a slight increase in price but prices should bottom out in <2 years with the recent release of the 991tt.

I'll be taking a closer look at ones this winter where prices should be pretty much bottoming out.
I am looking to purchase two 997 turbo with decently low mileage (under 18k) in about a year. Do you guys think it's realistic to think I can get them for around 50k each? I'm a first time porsche buyer and my son and I are selling our 2013 camaros before we purchase the cars. I'd love to hear experienced porsche shoppers experiences on this. Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Paul, call it a collector pan if you want, if it has an oil pan it's not a true dry sump. A true dry sump has a separate oil tank, this integrated dry sump is some kind of hybrid design, but it's not a true dry sump.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would believe counting on buying a low mileage 997tt for 50k in a year would not be a realistic goal.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
So, when are they going to start racing? My original question.
Btw if I wanted one, I'd buy one, too bad it only comes with the automatic.
F only knows doc, you'd have to ask Porsche racing direct about that one. As I mentioned previously i'm sure its all just a matter of time and timing.

Just another thing re your last comment on short block pricing. After running it past my product managers here who set supply levels and pricing for our own kit, they have reminded me how engine and engine part manufacturers generally set pricing based on supply demand and exclusivity, and, depending also how captive the item is. Well with Porsche they own the engine so it goes without saying they can and will price it how they want to. No one else has them now do they? Unless they have a back door source out of the engine factory. Now with a GT3 short block you have a few things working against you as an end user. Firstly there were only so many GT3's produced (unlike the TT) meaning that an engine made specifically for that car as a spare part would generally attract a much higher price tag due to the smaller numbers being manufactured, whereas the same complexity of engine made in much larger numbers would have a lower manufacturing cost, amortized over larger numbers etc. More cars on the road means more spare part stock to ensure ease of availability too. Sometimes there is a glut that can sit around longer than anticipated and needs to be shifted on. On those occasions you can see significant price reductions. No one likes to hang on to aging stock. Secondly, when an engine or spare part item is rare or in short supply the manufacturer will automatically charge more because of the exclusivity factor. They call it optimizing your after sales business opportunities I believe. In this industry I believe we can all be guilty of that. If you can get an opportunity to get paid more for something then why not take it. After all on most occasions the market in general expects you to work for nothing on everything else. We would love the margins on a GT3 short block i think. Shame we can't include it in our range.

Now, you can look at the price of two different cranks as an eg. One is 10 times more expensive than the other yet looks to be much the same in terms of size and general spec, yet the dearer crank likely belongs to something seen to be more unique by the end user...hard to get etc. The other thing with that short block at 8k (which sounds mighty cheap if I may add), may well be readily available with plenty of stock on hand. It also may belong to a very new model with little movement due to new car warranty still being active for a few years to come. I think it goes without saying you would have a far better likelyhood of negotiating a lower price on a TT engine than any GT3 engine, any day of the week....again all based on the obvious scenarios.

And on the new TTS doc, I feel you probably need to spend some more time behind the wheel before jumping to any firm conclusions there. It is a different animal to the 997tts in a lot ways i am still finding out. The turbo engine is undoubtedly far better suited to the automatic box in the way it holds the boost through each change, and at lighting pace of the changes. But putting that aside and then looking at the fun factor which everyone seems to use as a reason for staying with the stick, I'm finding just the thought of having to mess around with a stick in this car would throw out the intent of the car. I'm finding you really need to keep a very keen eye and really focus on what is happening especially when the hammer is down. Unbelievable! There seems to be no time for F ing around with a stick actually...too many other things happening which are commanding your attention. Put a few hundred Kays on this thing doc and then talk to me about. As I said i'm not missing the stick yet and that's saying something let me tell ya. But I like the taste of humble pie too so i'm easy if the outcome changes at any time into the future.

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Paul, call it a collector pan if you want, if it has an oil pan it's not a true dry sump. A true dry sump has a separate oil tank, this integrated dry sump is some kind of hybrid design, but it's not a true dry sump.
Doug it is. The principle is the same, with or without a removable pan. There are lots of dry sump engines that have a removable pan. Having the tank unit integrated is stated to maintain optimum oil temp whilst saving weight... another piece of development/evolution (call it what you will) of Porsche' s latest dry sumping arrangements. Once you have the tank detached, depending upon the design and so forth, the oil can lose its optimum operating temp whereas the other way they can obviously achieve less weight whilst better managing the oil temp. I truly think if you guys want the detail you'd be best to write into PAG and question the engineers where they were going with it rather than make presumptions that the new system isn't as good.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would believe counting on buying a low mileage 997tt for 50k in a year would not be a realistic goal.
Even I would go along with that. Maybe he should be looking for two ropey smelling high milers. 140 for the two low milers may be more realistic..
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Principissimo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

In Italy, but we are in a difficult economical situation and we have crazy taxes on sport cars, prices of 997 turbo (.1 and .2) went up in the last months!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:13 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
^ So what's the verdict from the 996 boys? Has the boot shifted from the 997tt to the 991TT yet?
He he he....

Study: Homophobes May Be Hidden Homosexuals. Ring a bell Miss Speedy?

Fat crazy people are such an easy target
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM
sshu930
Advanced

Of course there are a many variables but what do you think about getting a 1 owner 997tt with 50k miles for 55k? Unrealistic in 1 year time? There seems to be a few under 60k right now but they seem a little beat up.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:45 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not consider 50k low miles and in all honesty know one can look into their crystal ball and say for sure what the prices will be. A clean low mileage 997tt will be worth more then 50k more like 70k but that's just an opinion. I would like to see owners of 996tt/997tt see more value and hold up the prices. The trouble with a lot of these cars is that they are beat and put away wet but again that's just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ageff91
I am looking to purchase two 997 turbo with decently low mileage (under 18k) in about a year. Do you guys think it's realistic to think I can get them for around 50k each? I'm a first time porsche buyer and my son and I are selling our 2013 camaros before we purchase the cars. I'd love to hear experienced porsche shoppers experiences on this. Thanks
Assuming you're looking at 07-08 997.1's, 18K mileage is pretty low (less that 3K per year) so you really saying you want a fairly pristine example. In that case 50K is unrealistic I suspect. I think it might even by tough to find a well maintained higher mileage example in good condition for that price. Good luck in any case, they're unbelievable cars, even the high mileage ones if they've been well cared for.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

I think the 991TT/S is going to be more Amazing, fast, etc when more people can afforded it....
Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 AM
speed21
Banned

I do not consider 50k low miles and in all honesty know one can look into their crystal ball and say for sure what the prices will be. A clean low mileage 997tt will be worth more then 50k more like 70k but that's just an opinion. I would like to see owners of 996tt/997tt see more value and hold up the prices. The trouble with a lot of these cars is that they are beat and put away wet but again that's just my opinion.
Agree. 50,000 miles or 80,000kms is hardly what anyone could call a low miler, especially where it has been beat and put away wet every weekend.

Originally Posted by phillipj
He he he....

Study: Homophobes May Be Hidden Homosexuals. Ring a bell Miss Speedy?

Fat crazy people are such an easy target
As i said earlier, not a lot of substance...

In so far as your scorny study goes: You pretty much gave your game away when you posted that glamorous pic of yourself up here with a moused up mullet and a pink shirt. Not much to figure really. And then hearing how a member of the general public called you out for same....well what more can I say really other than good luck with it bud. No harm no foul..

I'd continue to recommend you keep a fire extinguisher handy at all times when reading, and posting Philly. Reality bites as they say..

Look, if it helps at all I do sympathize with your position....
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

Originally Posted by sshu930
Of course there are a many variables but what do you think about getting a 1 owner 997tt with 50k miles for 55k? Unrealistic in 1 year time? There seems to be a few under 60k right now but they seem a little beat up.
I have passed on two in the last month around this price.

60K for a 08 with 45K miles, lower option coupe but tiptronic and in black. 2 year warranty but not CPO as well. Paint swirls but really clean.

And a 2008 Cab black/black in 6 speed manual at 64.5K again with 2 year non CPO warranty. Immaculate with 28K miles. Had PCCB's though.

So they are getting there. Low option cars will be cheaper, tiptronic will be cheap then manual and non CPO the cheapest of the lot.

I just cannot get over how many turbo's are black on black tiptronics. 7/10 turbos must be in this configuration because that is all I am seeing.

I would pay 62-66K for a CPO manual cab turbo in a good color with a good option list if I could find one local. Everything out of state is not stock and with the CARB laws here would be difficult to get registered. If I wanted a coupe or could deal with tipronic I could just pickup the phone and get one.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

^^I honestly haven't seen them go that low specially CPO around here.
I did not buy this car hoping one day it would retain/appreciate in value and 50k miles on this cars should not be considered high mileage......Again, 7yr old car with 10-20k miles on the odo does not mean you are buying a newer car.... my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what you guys are talking about. mine has gone up in value at least 25% LOL!!

Quick Reply: Are 997.1 holding value?