Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads, does indicator come on when needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake pads, does indicator come on when needed?

Just a quick question about brake pads. There was plenty of life on the pads when I bought the car in May, is there an indicator that comes on when the pads are low or is it something you need to check manually? I know there's a brake light that may come on but I'm not sure if it could be activated by other things like ABS, wheel sensor, etc. I know on my MB there's a light that comes on specifically when the brake pads need replaced. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, but don't wait for it, ck your pads, esp the rear.
c
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long do the oem pads typically last with normal highway and street driving?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Dont wait for your sensors to tell you you need replacements. Sensors also can be disconnected from the pad so you won't ever see a warning

Art the way you drive I'd say another 20k miles
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
Dont wait for your sensors to tell you you need replacements. Sensors also can be disconnected from the pad so you won't ever see a warning

Art the way you drive I'd say another 20k miles
HA!! Probably true. I've got 27K miles on the original pads and I checked the pads when I did a brake flush recently. it looked like I still have 70%+ left on the pads. just curious if that is normal
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That's about right, but keep an eye on the rears, with aggressive driving (street or track) they tend to wear more on a psm car. As they get thin, they'll score the rotor.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys, good to know. BTW the sensor on my S500 is actually a sensor attached to the pad, as the rotor grinds the sensor down the two contacts are exposed. This opens the circuit and the result is the dash light goes on until the sensor is replaced. It's designed to guard against a type I error, in other words it's much more likely to turn on when not needed than not come on when it should. Just trying to figure out how these P-cars work. Cheers!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Thanks guys, good to know. BTW the sensor on my S500 is actually a sensor attached to the pad, as the rotor grinds the sensor down the two contacts are exposed. This opens the circuit and the result is the dash light goes on until the sensor is replaced. It's designed to guard against a type I error, in other words it's much more likely to turn on when not needed than not come on when it should. Just trying to figure out how these P-cars work. Cheers!
Works in the same manner but again I suggest not relying on it especially if you have expensive frisbees on there. You can inspect visually yourself very easily
Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Art..

Are you going to take that from Tom? Next time you see him I would put fingerprints all over his windows. That will teach him...

On second thought you will never get past security...Those guys are ex Navy seals..

Quick Reply: Brake pads, does indicator come on when needed?